What about computer/IT market in Sosua/Cabarete (PP)

Ray61

Jan 5, 2015
I plan to move to DR, especially in Sosua/Cabarete. I'm programmer/graphic designer/photographer/media engineer... I work abroad for European customers, something like an IT-Globe-Trotter and I'm expat from more than 20 years, in Europe, Asia, Africa... Currently, I'm in Madagascar, but it's a bad location for me and my son, so I plan to go to DR.

But, usually, when I go somewhere, I try to create also a small business where I live. So my question today, is about the computer/IT market in Sosua/Cabarete? There are computers shops, with IT technicians? How do people to find web designers/webmasters to create their websites? Is-it useful skills like these there? I found some web agencies working in US making ads on DR sites to sell their services... I saw that their prices are very high (US prices) and mines are low, but I don't know if residents there, need sometimes computer/programming skills and how do they do to find a solution for their needs.

It could be useful for me to have a better idea about IT in Sosua/Cabarete.

Thank you so much for your help.

Ray

May 29, 2006
Still plenty of businesses needing websites and designers. The prob is selling it and getting hits for the companies. If you can get 50 clients at $30/month plus set up fees, you could do fine there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yours is one of the few types of businesses that could work. I think you will rely almost entirely upon your remote work via the Internet, but who know, you could pick up some local business.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
At Rocky's World Famous Ribs in Sosua Marco will fix your computer for just a donation. That might be your competition there.
Der Fish

programmer/graphic designer/photographer/media engineer... not a person that fixes computers.

Ray61

Jan 5, 2015
You are assuming basic reading comprehension here!

He is right. I can fix computers but it's not my job. And since I put some posts, like this one, I already received some propositions for custom websites (not CSM/wordpress, joomla...) and other IT jobs. It looks that there are very few programmer over there. So, I'm preparing to come but I don't know yet, what is the best place and what are the best Internet contracts.

Jul 28, 2014
He is right. I can fix computers but it's not my job. And since I put some posts, like this one, I already received some propositions for custom websites (not CSM/wordpress, joomla...) and other IT jobs. It looks that there are very few programmer over there. So, I'm preparing to come but I don't know yet, what is the best place and what are the best Internet contracts.

If you are looking to get work with Dominican businesses, you'd be best to end up in Santo Domingo, if you primarily want gringos, you can land anywhere and deal remotely