Opinion about some areas please...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hi,

planning ahead...

Does somebody know how are the following areas regarding rentals, amenities, safety etc.?

Mirador Norte (ciudad modelo(?))

Los Rios

Vista Hermosa

...more to follow, stay tuned ;)

TIA

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Colinas del Rio
Bella vista
Residencial Colinas del Seminario
Costa Verde
Herrera
Mirador Sur

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Mirador Sur and Bella Vista (not Bella Vista Norte) are good in general, but anyway you need to check the exact street/building for abandoned constructions, noisy colmadones, etc...

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Never heard of none of them!

thats because you cant afford to live there.

to the op herrera and costa verde are good for disease, filth, desperation and crime i would stay away. mirador sur and bella vista are your best bets. mirador norte is good in most parts and has nice new apartments and good amenities. ciudad modelo is a little far but offers nice homes at a good price, the quality of people living there is a little suspect and i have seen a lack of maintenance in recent years but its "ok" Colinas del seminario is a good choice for nice places at a good price but commutes to the city center are rough and the surrounding areas are horrific. Los Rios has ghastly neighborhoods around it but also a lot of middle class apartments and some old money neighborhoods. I think that most of these neighborhoods are ok but a lot depends on the exact location, neighbors proximity to low income areas etc. The best way to know for sure is to do your research on foot.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
If one could afford to live where I do they'd have a car and could explore by car instead of on foot!

Are you that bored? Do you have to give your 2 cents to everything? Give it a break, or contribute s'thing useful. I am looking for information here not 'fish vs x... :mad:Jeez. Mods?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
A Like to AlterEgo :)

Mmh. Could swear like wasn't working a minute ago...

Last edited:

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
If one could afford to live where I do they'd have a car and could explore by car instead of on foot!
9n9
it was a figure of speech son. rents in my building and in most areas mentioned by the OP are between 27500 and 60000 pesos a month. that would be your whole social security check.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Lived in the capital for a long time, looked at places in Csta Verde myself a few years ago. Once entered it is a little like a mediteranian retreat without life. To enter you have to pass the roughest part of the city, a stretch of 50 mtrs with gomeros and pirates, it's frinkin aweful. Even once in, it is not nice, costa verde is misleading. A run down amuzment park on the corner, never been opened for 20 years. Costa Verde was dying 3 years ago, I suspect is now simply a no go zone for those looking for a nice life.
Herrera, great location if Dominican and looking for work. Also close to the park, but very picky, each streets are chalk and cheese, the lions in with the rats. I'd not live there, too far out, for me anyway.
I've actually looked everywhere you are over the years, and you really can't judge this city remotely as you can elsewhere, to any extent. You need to see the street. In the city, I lived in a wonderful street in a central barrio, but once out if my street it was aweful.
Entire areas of niceness simply do not exist in the city, like I said, the rats are mixed with the lions divided only by streets.

If I can be of any help let me know, but you can't do this remotely from afar, you need to be here.

gud luck, seems like you intend on moving quite a lot lately, hope all stays well for you and yours.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Go for either Mirador Sur/Bella Vista or Mirador Norte.

You have the park, shopping mall with supermarket and two of the top schools in the city all within walking distance or a short drive. We lived in Mirador Sur, in one of the Anacaona apartment complexes which are great as long as you avoid the buildings right on the avenue, with large shady gardens, children's playground, tennis and basketball courts and swimming pool. The only drawback for us, as we did not have our son in Carol Morgan or New Horizons, was having to drive to Los Restauradores (other side of 27) to the Montessori school there.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
9n9
it was a figure of speech son. rents in my building and in most areas mentioned by the OP are between 27500 and 60000 pesos a month. that would be your whole social security check.

Can be, but rubbish, can find anything half that (and less) in any if thd areas he mention, have done and can still. Likd we both said, you need to be here to see what you get, where exactly and what's going on. Ads don't show pics of the sh1t on the corner, or thecolmado oposite.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Go for either Mirador Sur/Bella Vista or Mirador Norte.

You have the park, shopping mall with supermarket and two of the top schools in the city all within walking distance or a short drive. We lived in Mirador Sur, in one of the Anacaona apartment complexes which are great as long as you avoid the buildings right on the avenue, with large shady gardens, children's playground, tennis and basketball courts and swimming pool. The only drawback for us, as we did not have our son in Carol Morgan or New Horizons, was having to drive to Los Restauradores (other side of 27) to the Montessori school there.

Agreed, if the price is right!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
@Hug

Yep. Moving to Higuey was a mistake.

I would be perfectly happy to move back to Bavaro, yet the lady does not like it. We were thinking about La Romana but were told too much crime, bad people and too much brujeria, GF is scared now lol... not that I believe in that.

But, yeah it looks like it will be SDQ next. Any questions arise I will come back to you.

Atm we are investigating where it makes sense to look closer and where not before exploring in person. GF grew up in El Millon but does not know the other areas well.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Rentals in Residenciales Anacaona I, II and III are in the US$1000 range, depending on the location and state of repair/decor of the apartments. They were built in the late 1970s and some have not been upgraded. There are other apartment buildings in these neighbourhoods with lower rents, but without the same communal amenities of the Anacaona complexes.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mike, are you still looking for a house rather than an apartment? There are not that many houses left in these areas because they are gradually being demolished for constructing apartments.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Mike, are you still looking for a house rather than an apartment? There are not that many houses left in these areas because they are gradually being demolished for constructing apartments.

Yeah, still preferring a house over an apartment. A penthouse would be an alternative. Not talking about the 2500 k and up ones though ;). Seen some at Remax in the 40,000 DOP range.

Commuting is not a problem since we both work from home. But colegio etc should be not too far off...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
You can really live in any zone you want for that money Mike. Everywhere will beable to accommodate. I expect the best bet is locate yourself somewhere in a nearbye hotel like Aquarium for a few days so you can absorb the huge benefits of living in Santo Domingo Este, of which there are many.

I myself spent about 6 years living on the other side of the river, following the general idea more expensive is safer, better, more appropriate. That was until I realised I can live safer, cheaper, more accesible to e erywhere and generally more accommodating on the other side, where stupidly many ridiculous ignoramo6s fear to test.

SDEast is in great devrlopement these days, safety levels are better than downtown. Generally better bang for your buck, more air, more life, less traffic and certainly more sense of community. Although it does still exist downtown, just the city is s joke these days.

Last edited:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Santo Domingo Este

I was told to avoid most of it? What parts are recommendable?

Have seen many offers in the 18 k to 35 k range stating Santo Domingo Este.

Last edited:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Really, these are the ignoramous I talk of. The same that won't live more than 100mtrs from another knkwn foreigner.

I woukdn't expe t you to move where I am now, it's pretty hardcore backwards here in La Caleta. But I lived Autopiste San Isidro, loads of new developements gone up, being bought and new build nice houses scattered around. Generally safe if you stayvlose to the base, and even if you stray, it's not as those who have never been for more than a minute might say. I guarantee there is more murders downtown, more robberies, more rapes, be auae there is no commu ity. They have revamped an entirere district on the beachfront hardly anyone knows about other than a few long term Eropeans, right on the tsil of the city and SDEste limits.
My battery is about to go on this pad but I'll have a think and give you my top 5 of SDEste areas once Charged up.