Tax on importing a boat

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Hi, I am planning on relocating to the DR sometime this year and would like to import a boat as part of the move.
Its a power boat and I see that a 20% tax is payable on the vessels purchase price.

It may seem a stupid question, but is this on the 'new' price or the price I paid for it?

Thanks
Roy

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Its a power boat and I see that a 20% tax is payable on the vessels purchase price.

please just IGNORE any answers you get on here unless they are from mikefisher, the resident expert, who actually is familiar with the process.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
someone with knowledge will chime in....
there are previous threads on this - it's not an easy process as I recall, registering here, etc

to say nothing of the importation.

port exit/entry , etc can be problematic according to some

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Catamaran

We imported a catamaran (Hobie Getaway) with a trailer (Trailex) from Miami and used an agent (who IMO did a very good job).
Of course, this is 'sports gear' which does not need a 'matricula'...and anything without an engine is not interesting for the 'marina' or thieves.

donP

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
We imported a catamaran (Hobie Getaway) with a trailer (Trailex) from Miami and used an agent (who IMO did a very good job).
Of course, this is 'sports gear' which does not need a 'matricula'...and anything without an engine is not interesting for the 'marina' or thieves.

donP

hi would you share your tax's paid for this thanks

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The Dominican Republic has never figured out that it has a valuable resource in the boating community and is not boater friendly. They will drive you nuts with fees and silly expensed if you import a boat. Come down, look around and buy one here.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you need a Bill of Sale notarized in the country where you bring the boat in from. based on that price shown there they do a valuation of the boat to decide if the shown price is acceptable or not. they will never decide on any Lower price after valuation, but they often tell you that you made "a great deal" because by their understanding your boat is worth much more than you paid for it, lol.
20% and thats all? the ITBIS due alone is 18% and the ITBIS is the lowest of the 3 applying Taxes for a import. who told you that did forget to tell about the other involved taxes, as it is 3 taxes/fees you pay for importaing a Boat. they total under the line on well over 50% of the Boat's evaluated worth. for example a boat evaluated to be at the moment of arrival in the country worth $100KUS$ will cost you with all fees together at the end 50-60Grand extra for the import. if you are a US Citizen and bring a boat from the USA, do Not Import the boat, just bring it in for recreational purposes and keep renewing it's US Matricula and US insurance every year in the USA, so for your private use of the vessel you are only required to pay the yearly(can also be done every 6months) Fees for the "Permiso de Navegabilidad Recreacional".
just you would not be allowed to use such boat commercially/for tours/with tourists/rent it out/sell fishing tours etc etc, it would be for the private pleasure only, recreational use.

Mike