Crime in Punta Cana

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
I should say that i am very experienced in the country, particularly the North Coast. i have never been to Punta Cana and im keen to do some basic research on the area

What type of crime is the BIG PROBLEM in Punta Cana?
is it a large problem or is it similiar to any other area?
Does gun crime / home invasion exist?

Im looking to purchase a second apartment and i want to know that i am relatively safe. if not punta cana, then where would you suggest to buy an apartment on the East coast?

thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Having lived on both the NC and Punta Punta Cana I can tell you there is a fraction of the crime in PC that there is on the NC. I have been on PC area for years and have not heard of violent crimes at all.

The thing to know is in PC area there are over 100 hotels operating. So jobs are plentiful here. On the NC it is very hard for a Dominican to find work, hence the crime factor.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
My wife's cousin was murdered a a bus stop in p.c a few years ago for his pay .

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Having spent a couple of years in Bavaro/punta can a several years ago, it appeared that the crime that did go on was between natives, and rarely involved foreigners. When between foreigners, it was between foreigners over stupid disputes, business etc.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
From what I have seen crime rates are very low in PC....

But that can change !

Unfortunately it has been changing a bit lately, for the worse. In my (gated but low security) residential area only, which is one of the larger ones in the area, I hear about break-ins and robberies on a weekly basis (and I don't sit down with the neighbours to gossip so who knows how much info I'm actually getting?). Last weekend they held up a lady her building's parking lot at gun point and took off with her purse. 2 nights ago they broke into a foreigner's apartment with a pellet gun and shot him in the face and his son in the chest. Also hearing some cases in Pueblo Bavaro which had been quiet recently. Not saying this is the norm everywhere in Punta Cana but in the 10 years I've lived here, this is the first time I hear about so many cases one after the other. I've lived in the country for 18 years and this is the first time that I actually take precautionary measures and am extra watchful when I go out.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It's changing for the worse everywhere, so on the grand scale, if you want a lower crime rate area to live, then you could do worse. I couldn't live there again due to high bordom levels, nothing to do with crime.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
La Romana is another low crime area. No bars on windows in Casa de Campo, a gated community where trusting neighbours regularly will leave their doors open. But also in La Romana city neighbourhoods, such as Buena Vista. Just like neighbourhoods were in Santo Domingo prior to the start of the drug trafficking age.

Both La Romana and Punta Cana are for quiet living. Not much on the cultural side (popular movies get there soon after premiering internationally), but there are many beaches to go to and friends to visit, and as said, there is work to be had.

Santo Domingo has good cultural and night life, but people here have safety and security issues top on their minds.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
You need to understand that PC is a fairly exclusive area with exceptional security. For some reason Bavaro, El Corticito, Veron, and a lot of other areas are considered "Punta Cana" which is very misleading. PC has a few condos which are nice and secure. The rest of the whole area has some really nice places and some really scary places. Best thing to do is spend a couple of weeks here to see it for yourself.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
while i feel nicely safe in my surropundings here on the East, it is sure not that nothing bad happens in the wide Punta Cana area. just a couple hours ago the wifey told me about a shooting at Pueblo Bavaro, which is 10 minutes up the road from here, sounds like Russians involved, the info been splittered by to much rumors portions, maybe tomorrow i hear more when i leave the house. in specific areas drug crimes are happening the same as everywhere where people hang out for hookers and the kick on their drug stuff. break ins happen here the same as everywhere, but of course you will find also Residencies protected on highest security levels, if the budget allows to buy or rent there.
all in all, i would say PC is one of the safer areas to choose from on the Island, but thats not for AL within Punta Cana. it is a very very wide area which offers all levels of life, from the upper top to the lowest low.

Mike

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
It's changing for the worse everywhere, so on the grand scale, if you want a lower crime rate area to live, then you could do worse. I couldn't live there again due to high bordom levels, nothing to do with crime.

lol....sometimes i go to anarea,friends home and wonder??? wtf....nothing here....homes cars no one to talk to...meet on street etc

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
nice example about present real conditions.
been at the local colmaon with my buddy here in cabeza de toro, back home right now, 25 minutes ago we sat there, street front, waiting for our bill to pay, 4 motornikes and one pick up stopped there from one moment to an other, within not even 10 seconds they had a guy handcuffed who was sitting across the street from us, he arrived not even 5 minutes earlier and sat down with his coffee there. a raid taking specific targets. we paid our already ordered bill and my buddy brought me over to my house here, just a few hundred meters, the entrance to my parking area is also the maincrossing of this lil fishing town, the bikes and the pick up been right there at the crossing, we are talking a matter of very few minutes of time since the first appearance 200 meters down the road across the Marina station, now the pick up was filled with 7-8 persons, each in handcuffs, and they check everybody crossing here. the guys wear clothes/anti bala jackets of the ON, one a DNCD hat, none of them is from here, none is from the Punta Cana Police Force. as expected it looks like they brought in their mobile SWAT to the east due the ocurrances of the last coule weeks, speacially the last 2-3 days. i saw 3 pick ups not form local police force at the station up in Veron when i tok my daughter from school, with staff in their SWAT equipment right there, at the Police station of the PN, not a single face been familiar, they brought in the outsiders to fix what local police insiders here did mess up. like o the latest shooting one of the Attackers been a Police Officer.
i guess those stories will be continued in the news, looks like serious ongoings.

Mike

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Got home today to find 2 Policia Nacional officers sitting at the front gate. Guess they're hoping the thieves will drive up to them and say, "Hey! I'm the one that broke into the apartment 2 days ago and tied the guy up in front of his kids." Not that I'm surprised... but hopefully thieves will think twice before they go into action again here.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
FYI, Policia Nacional would have found the 3 delinquents who they believe were responsible for the robberies in Residencial Bavaro Punta Cana. One dead and I assume 2 arrested. Hopefully things will calm down now and we'll be able to sleep quietly again.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
The only crime we have in Samana City is the lack of chicas caliente.

I've been forced to import one from Sanchez and I'm not sure it's a great deal. But I digress, I spent a couple days in Bavaro after an overnight next to the airport and you could sense things were edgy...or had the potential to be.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Police presence(Police from the outside) in the PC/Bavaro area is actually the by far highest i ever experienced in my 20 years on those shores. that includes additional partouling cars and they will continue their raids in certain barrios/areas.
lets hope it will calm down soon

Mike

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
FYI, Policia Nacional would have found the 3 delinquents who they believe were responsible for the robberies in Residencial Bavaro Punta Cana. One dead and I assume 2 arrested. Hopefully things will calm down now and we'll be able to sleep quietly again.

Haitians, does not surprise me. There are many in Bavaro. Wonder where they got their guns...

[video=youtube;pBEGeSf4poE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBEGeSf4poE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Haitians, does not surprise me. There are many in Bavaro. Wonder where they got their guns...

[video=youtube;pBEGeSf4poE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBEGeSf4poE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

there are by far man times more Haitian in Bavaro than Dominican or any other nationality. Bavaro is little Haiti.