Working on a cruise/cargo ship

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Hi,

doing a minor amount of research for a family member, would anyone here happen to know or have contacts regarding employment (for a male person, in the mid-20s) on cruise/cargo ship?

The position would need to be suitable for a person with limited English knowledge.

Positions I could think of include waiter (without English, is it even possible?), assistant, some other physical work...

Salary nor location is really an issue, more important is experience.

Not sure if I?m allowed to post this here (advertising job allowed, looking for one without pay isn?t?)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there was a place in costambar that was an authorized agency for employment in cruise ships. not sure whether it is still open and running but according to this 2013 article in DL Buscando trabajo en cruceros - DiarioLibre.com the details are: VIP International Caribbean, Calle Cadiz #1, Cost?mbar, Puerto Plata, tel?fono 1-809-970-7669.

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
Mr. Derfish has a comment on EVERYTHING.....full of 'I guess'....'maybe' and 'I would think'

I very close friend, Dominican, 26 years old just went through the interview process here in Sosua with one of the cruise ship companies. After a bit of jumping through hoops, we were notified that they were only looking for hairdressers. He has been studying English in Puerto Plata for 2 years. The interviews were first in Spanish then included English and included on-line forms.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
there was a place in costambar that was an authorized agency for employment in cruise ships. not sure whether it is still open and running but according to this 2013 article in DL Buscando trabajo en cruceros - DiarioLibre.com the details are: VIP International Caribbean, Calle Cadiz #1, Cost?mbar, Puerto Plata, tel?fono 1-809-970-7669.

Thanks dv8.

About this I actually already knew, as it was rather easy to find online, and also the website DiarioLibre points to. Will need to check this out, as it seems that it?s known outside of the internet as well, thanks again!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen this place walking past but never checked if open. but i've heard a guy who was working in a small cafe next door is now doing a stint on a cruisero. maybe that's how he got in. he speak english and is a capable cook, thou.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i assume that OP is looking to help out a dominican who lives in DR?

May 29, 2006
There is next to no money working on cruise ships nowadays. They market it like it's a paid vacation and then you have to lay low most of the time in a very limited space. If you have on land living expenses, forget about it. It's not like you're going to get a private room with a view of the Aloha deck. Also there are scams out there that have you pay money up front to supposedly get you jobs. The whole industry is due to implode from ship epidemics, deferred maintenance, cheap labor and other cost cutting measures.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know a waiter on cruise ship and she is making few thousand dollars a month. it beats most of dominican salaries, even considering that breaks between cruises last about 3 months when one makes nothing.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
There is not much DR content in this thread

Like said, if this thread is not appropriate, I apologize, was not completely sure about that. If it needs to be deleted or moved, that?s fine, I saved the information dv8 sent, but would of course appreciate further opinions/info.

Just to clarify, as I admit this might not have been clear in the first post, this is for a person living in Puerto Plata (I have said location irrelevant since moving is not a problem), and of course that agency in Costambar was already discussed as well.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
There is next to no money working on cruise ships nowadays. They market it like it's a paid vacation and then you have to lay low most of the time in a very limited space. If you have on land living expenses, forget about it. It's not like you're going to get a private room with a view of the Aloha deck. Also there are scams out there that have you pay money up front to supposedly get you jobs. The whole industry is due to implode from ship epidemics, deferred maintenance, cheap labor and other cost cutting measures.

I can imagine that this is the reality. Everything you mentioned until "Aloha deck" makes sense, there are no land living expenses, and this would be serious work obviously, but hopefully something that makes sense at the same time. I would personally be extremely cautious dealing with any "agency" in DR, as I suppose there can be scamming from both sides, employee and employer/agency.

The first idea we had in mind, was more or less like military conditions, where serious hard work, but with justice, is required. We are not looking anything easy, but don?t want to deal with scammers either.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the guy i know works for royal caribbean. long shifts. single cabin on some ships, or 2-4 people sharing on other ships. it's hard work too. crew members can use port facilities and excursions at a discount price.

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
It might be horrible work but most Dominicans would kill for the chance to save $500 or more dollars a month. Not earn.....save.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
the guy i know works for royal caribbean. long shifts. single cabin on some ships, or 2-4 people sharing on other ships. it's hard work too. crew members can use port facilities and excursions at a discount price.

All of the (below deck) workers that I have seen on cruise ships are Filipino. This is however just Carnival, and Norwegian cruise lines.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
It might be horrible work but most Dominicans would kill for the chance to save $500 or more dollars a month. Not earn.....save.

That would be 22+k a month, which is not bad in my book... Even outside of DR there are plenty of people unable to save this kinds of amounts. This of course balances out if you have non-working periods, and they might have zero security...

Thanks everyone for the input, very much appreciated!

Last edited: