Need some computer help...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I've been having problems with Google Chrome/Windows 8 compatibility for quite some time.

Every time Windows goes through their update process it gets worse.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome and that's worked until now.

Now, Chrome won't go to any website, it just keeps buffering forever. I've tried to uninstall it and it wouldn't budge. I downloaded Revo Uninstall and that took many tries. Then reinstalled Chrome, same shyte.

Now I can't uninstall it, my Norton Internet Security won't do a scan, and AVG won't download. It tells me I'm not connected to the internet.

I'm trying Malwarebytes so see if they can find the issue.

Here are my most pressing issues-

1) Aside from trying to find the problem, I need to copy my bookmarks so I don't lose them.

2) More importantly, is there any way I can retrieve the passwords to all the sites I visit? This is of the essence, as work/school sites are what I need to get into more than anything else, and no, I don't remember the passwords. I may have them written down somewhere but can't find them.

Please spare me the snark and the "Get a Mac" comments. Not in the mood right now. This is serious.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Try a system restore to a month or two ago, won't affect your bookmarks or passwords, but will undo updates.

You could also try a Windows forum.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
I use firefox and have no problems. Chrome and Firefox are very close. Try and download firefox and see what you get. Otherwise I can download stuff and send it to you. Where are you located?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Your passwords might be there:

In Chrome, chose "settings"

"advanced settings"

"manage passwords"

I recommend to install "Last Pass" so you want to have that problem again.

Reg. "Norton" and AVG... why? Microsoft security essentials is all you need. ;)

Hope that helps...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I use firefox and have no problems. Chrome and Firefox are very close. Try and download firefox and see what you get. Otherwise I can download stuff and send it to you. Where are you located?

I caught something that I could not get rid of while using Firefox and gave up on it, but it was not the fault of the browser. It was something that was so new no one had a remedy to get rid of it. You know when you log on to whatever browser you're using and it sends you somewhere else? That's what it was.That's when I switched to Chrome.

I'm located in NYC.

Try a system restore to a month or two ago, won't affect your bookmarks or passwords, but will undo updates.

You could also try a Windows forum.

Tried a system update. No dice. I've also tried a Windows forum and people seem to be at a loss. I'm not the only one with this issue of Windows 8/Google Chrome compatibility issues.

I tried downloading into "Last Pass", but I got a message "Your profile could not be opened correctly".

Last edited:

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
If you install another browser you should be able to import your bookmarks. Firefox should be good for this.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I wanted to say something but then I read 'spare me the 'get a Mac' comments', so I won't.

Have you tried this for the bookmarks (if you're able to at least open chrome):

Export bookmarks from Chrome

In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu Chrome menu.
Select Bookmarks > Bookmark Manager.
Click the "Organize" menu in the manager.
Don't see the "Organize" menu? Try using the alternate directions below.
Select Export bookmarks.

This tool might get the passwords:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/chromepass.html

Or type this in the browser: chrome://settings/passwords

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Did you try a SYSTEM RESTORE, not UPDATE, it will revert back to a profile of the system when it worked, a date chosen by you.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
yes as polar bear states, the bookmarks are not in fact stored in your browser, so if you get another browser you can use the same bookmarks. ie they should not be lost.

a quick search brought up this video......is this any use to you?

[video=youtube;6hmG8ySkwgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hmG8ySkwgI[/video]

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I've been having problems with Google Chrome/Windows 8 compatibility for quite some time.

Every time Windows goes through their update process it gets worse.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome and that's worked until now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had a similar experience when I installed Hola. Is that installed and enabled in your instance of Chrome?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

is it difficult to go to firefox from chrome? thanx i hate chrome

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Did you try a SYSTEM RESTORE, not UPDATE, it will revert back to a profile of the system when it worked, a date chosen by you.

Yes. Didn't work. I spent most of the afternoon and early evening at Micro Center where I purchased the laptop and after going through a couple of things (one issue could have been the incompatibility of the Google Chrome I downloaded-it was 32-bit and my laptop is 64-bit) was the tech did a system refresh.

After downloading Chrome again, it seems to be working fine now even though it is 32-bit. I'll be looking into this as it seems that they're site does not offer a 64-bit version of Chrome.

I had suspected that there was something wrong with the computer for a while, but when Chrome decided not to cooperate completely this morning and after exhausting the advice I'd been given here, I packed up and took off for the store.

I saved the bookmarks but now I have to search for the passwords. I will continue with the advice given if I cannot find them wherever it was I wrote them on the million scraps of paper I wrote them down on.

The tech told me that I'll need something for malware and spyware, seeing as that may have been the culprit to the malfunctions. I thought I was safe with Norton but I guess not.

Last edited:

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Using a browser that is designed from the ground up to be compatible with pop-ups, flash, pop-unders, and a landfill of cyber crap is probably asking for trouble.

I avoid all this and as a bonus I can visit any site without it saying I "exceeded" my allotted number of articles for that month on the site. And with the free Zenmate add-on I can snag US programming or even the BBC.

Aviator rox but if there's something better I'm gone.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I saved the bookmarks but now I have to search for the passwords. I will continue with the advice given if I cannot find them wherever it was I wrote them on the million scraps of paper I wrote them down on.

The tech told me that I'll need something for malware and spyware, seeing as that may have been the culprit to the malfunctions. I thought I was safe with Norton but I guess not.

I use SpyBot S&D to keep malware off my computer, and another program for anti-virus. Norton at one point became notorious for missing known virus-infected files, and that's when I stopped using it.

By the by, if you were logged into a Google account on your previous installation of Chrome, your bookmarks *and passwords* are saved to your Google account. As long as you use the same Google account, they will be restored to your new Chrome instance.

Jul 28, 2014
I would HIGHLY suggest that you blow your O/S away and start over... And this is the reason why, I guarantee that you got spyware/malware that got ahold of your passwords, worse yet, will continue to "watch" as you log into further pages on the web, INCLUDING YOUR BANK.

Starting fresh you will erase all the crap and your machine will run like new again. Save your bookmarks somewhere, i.e. Email them to yourself and copy them back after the new O/S. BUT, I would suggest that you just place the list of addresses in notepad first, and email them to yourself as flat text, this will give you a "clean" list of sites that you had