Looking For Nice Hotel In Punta Cana

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Hi All
Lived in DR for 6 years and never been to Punta Cana. My son and his gf are coming down and want to go to Punta Cana. Appreciate any recommendations. Price not that important, but neither is plush.

Prefer great value and close to the action.

Cheers!

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
I have been to Punta Cana over a dozen times. Any 4 star or higher will be decent really. I found the main thing is if you want a huge resort with a ton of walking and trollys to get around vs a small resort without that.

Not sure what action you are looking to be close to?

The Punta Cana model is stay on the resort and excursions really. I could be wrong though.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I guess, I mean closer to town. Some a re 30k away and still called punts cana. Anyone been to the new Coco Loco?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
But what is "town" in Punta Cana? As you say it is used to refer to a 30-40k sprawl (from Cap Cana to Uvero Alto) with several semi-urban hubs like Cortecito and Los Corales. The main crossroads of Friusa and Coco Loco are more commercial/entertainment than residential. Coco Bongo is the name of the massive new nightclub at the Coco Loco crossing. Punta Cana is the name of the area around the airport, and once you get past Coco Loco it is B?varo.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Also plan to eat at some of the nicer restaurants off campus. Need suggestions.

Like I said, never been there, know nothing about it other than "great beaches". I am guessing Bavaro is where I would want to be. Thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you have a car, it does not really matter where you stay as everything is within a short driving distance. If you want to be within walking distance of nice places away from the resort, a good place would be one of the resorts near Los Corales:
Hotel Vista Sol (former Carabela)
Now Larimar
Barcelo Dominican Beach

Or nearer El Cortecito:
Occidental Grand Punta Cana

The Coco Loco crossing is not particularly near any of the hotels.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Stay away from Occidental; their food *sucks* unless you go to the snack bar. If you want a *hotel* and be near the beach, you want to look into either NH Hotel or Hotel Green Coast. Green Coast is a no-frills place in Cortecito, but the rooms are decent and its 1 block from the beach. NH I know little about save that it's got direct beach access.

If you want an all-inclusive with meals and drinks included, Vista Sol is also in Cortecito, and has a decent buffet (all the AIs have buffet , snack bars, and a couple of restaurants).

Cortecito and Los Corales (the next little neighborhood) are both within Bavaro and put you close to local restaurants and bars for off-campus fun and frolicking. It's not typical Dominican fare, but for the most part the restaurants and bars in Cortecito and Los Corales are very, very good.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
good luck i hear that donald trump shoiuld be in town ...just follow his entourage....they know the area