Has anyone started the residency process on a tourist visa ?

Tim Voltio

Jan 29, 2015
Hi,

i was wondering if anyone has started the whole process of getting a new temporary residency already being here in the DR. (i.e. without the special visa you have to apply for in your own country) ?

Is this possible or do i have to get out of the country and get the special visa ?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
There's only so much you can do while here in DR, you have to file the initial paperwork at the DR embassy in your home country.

Feb 7, 2007
There was a period when people already living in the DR (for a long time) with proven ties (family, property, business etc.) could apply for the visa at Cancilleria without leaving the DR, if they had the complete paperwork. This window was open after the new visa requirement came into place, and was limited to the aforementioned cases only (again, long time "tourist resident" with established ties). There was also a fee of about 200 dollars charged for this. I do not think this opportunity is available any longer, because those living as "tourist resident" with serious ties to the DR already got their residencies at that time, and those who hesitated, hopefully got their cases started with the ongoing Amnesty. So again, I would seriously doubt that you can start the residency program coming fresh to DR on a newly purchased tourist card.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Haitians, Expats, thats the same, its foreigners, lol.
dont know what the exact date is, june 2012 would be a very short time frame, but possible, didn't check on that one since a long while.

Mike

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
Applying for Residency within the DR

Warning - this information is second hand.

Our son is in the process of applying for Residency under this scheme which I understand was designed for the long term Hatian population.

He had been here five years when he started the process last November/December. Unfortunately he had lost his passport with the entry stamp but did have his airline, one way, e-ticket. He is using the lawyer Jenny Familia in Cabarette who is incredibly efficient. Most lawyers don't know about this or say it doesn't exist, they probably don't want the hassle.

He is still jumping through the hoops and who knows if he will succeed. He had to find 7 Dominicans who would say they had known him for 5 years, their cedulas had to be photocopied then they had to sign a legal declaration. He had to prove property ownership, rental payments, three (possibly 5, sorry can't remember) signed letters (with RNC numbers) from local businesses showing he had been a good customer for five years. Plus a police good conduct form which the lawyer obtained. He needed a letter signed from an employer showing his salary. All of these have to be notorised, again the lawyer sorted this.

Fortunately he had had medical insurance and an Orange 'phone for this time, although the 'phone was only pay-as-you-go. All this has been handled in Puerto Plata so far and he has received a six week certificate to enable him to get his final papers together.

I understand that once all his papers are in he will have to go to Santo Domingo and if anyone is interested I will keep you updated.

The cost is significantly cheaper than returning home, not that he could have fulfilled the requirements because he has lived here so long.

Our gardener is also applying under the same rules but his requirements are totally different! Go figure!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi,

i was wondering if anyone has started the whole process of getting a new temporary residency already being here in the DR. (i.e. without the special visa you have to apply for in your own country) ?

Is this possible or do i have to get out of the country and get the special visa ?

Unfortunately you need documents that originate in your home country, passport, birth certificate, police report including finger prints, marriage certificate. These all need to be translated(expect passport)into Spanish and have an authorized stamp by the DR consulate in your country of origin. Once you do that than you will have to get an attorney to file the documents and get you your medical exam which includes chest xray and work. The whole process will cost you between $1000-1500usd. Go on line and you can find the requirements.

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
Warning - this information is second hand.

Our son is in the process of applying for Residency under this scheme which I understand was designed for the long term Hatian population.

He had been here five years when he started the process last November/December. Unfortunately he had lost his passport with the entry stamp but did have his airline, one way, e-ticket. He is using the lawyer Jenny Familia in Cabarette who is incredibly efficient. Most lawyers don't know about this or say it doesn't exist, they probably don't want the hassle.

He is still jumping through the hoops and who knows if he will succeed. He had to find 7 Dominicans who would say they had known him for 5 years, their cedulas had to be photocopied then they had to sign a legal declaration. He had to prove property ownership, rental payments, three (possibly 5, sorry can't remember) signed letters (with RNC numbers) from local businesses showing he had been a good customer for five years. Plus a police good conduct form which the lawyer obtained. He needed a letter signed from an employer showing his salary. All of these have to be notorised, again the lawyer sorted this.

Fortunately he had had medical insurance and an Orange 'phone for this time, although the 'phone was only pay-as-you-go. All this has been handled in Puerto Plata so far and he has received a six week certificate to enable him to get his final papers together.

I understand that once all his papers are in he will have to go to Santo Domingo and if anyone is interested I will keep you updated.

The cost is significantly cheaper than returning home, not that he could have fulfilled the requirements because he has lived here so long.

Our gardener is also applying under the same rules but his requirements are totally different! Go figure!
e

rIm going thu those hoops too. Im stuck on the letters with RNC. The businesses ive used either don't have RNC or gave some lame excuse for not giving a letter even with bribes. Don't know what to do...I have all other papers but this one item :(

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It is possible to do it here now if you have lived here for 3 or 4 years, forget the exact year the rule is. Many expats have been able to do it this way in POP under the whole Haitian getting legalized thing. (Includes expats). Contact a lawyer.

there is no need to contact a lawyer. go to the offices between the Polideportivo and the police station, and they will give you the brochure which tells you what documents you need to bring. some nice clerk might even outline the important 7 or 8 that are critical. time for gringos to stop thinking everything calls for a lawyer. they can?t read and write any better than you can.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Ha Ha! I got that brochure months ago and if the Regularizacion process was anything like as easy as the conditions written there I would now have Residency. However, I keep having to jump through more hoops. The latest being I have to go to a barrio where I don't live to get a letter saying I have lived here for four years (apparently my real Residents' Association isn't registered). And I have been told that I have to get the signatures of the seven Dominicans of whose cedulas I took copies notarized. Try doing that without a lawyer!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ha Ha! I got that brochure months ago and if the Regularizacion process was anything like as easy as the conditions written there I would now have Residency. However, I keep having to jump through more hoops. The latest being I have to go to a barrio where I don't live to get a letter saying I have lived here for four years (apparently my real Residents' Association isn't registered). And I have been told that I have to get the signatures of the seven Dominicans of whose cedulas I took copies notarized. Try doing that without a lawyer!

you need a lawyer to get the photocopies notarized. you do not need one to expedite the process.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I have been living in santiago fot 7 years but have come and gone a lot for work sometimes long periods of time. I have been told that this is ok bjt I also have a problem with the passport. I got a new one there years ago and did not keep the old one. I relly want to do this and get leagle but have a lot fear.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
e

rIm going thu those hoops too. Im stuck on the letters with RNC. The businesses ive used either don't have RNC or gave some lame excuse for not giving a letter even with bribes. Don't know what to do...I have all other papers but this one item :(

businesses most/all deal with, who always have a RNC number, are:
* your bank
* your phone provider
* medical insurer
* car insurer
* car dealer
* supermarket
* if you have here children in school they also can provide you with a letter that shows how long you are here
* if you purchased years ago at a big shop/supermarket etc stuff like a fridge, TV etc of which you kept the factura for the equipments warranty, with that Bill/Factura you can go to that company to from the such letter
just some things that came to my mind reading the above requirements.
doesn't sound any easy or quick or hasslefree or such, tho.

Mike

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
As the old saying goes "A person who represents himself in legal matters has a fool for a client" :)...Im searching for a lawyer.