Airport - Downtown Express

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I am aware there have been Taxi service for years but do they ever had a bus direct express just like in the states between Airport - Downtown?

If not, should someone step in and develop one of its service so people can go to Downtown easier rather than rely on Taxi's.

Just wondering ...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am aware there have been Taxi service for years but do they ever had a bus direct express just like in the states between Airport - Downtown?

If not, should someone step in and develop one of its service so people can go to Downtown easier rather than rely on Taxi's.

Just wondering ...

The taxi union no likee, my freng!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
More grammatically correct but to the same point:
Taxi sindikit no liki my fren

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

Just wondering ...
Where are you landing? there six international airports in the DR...

JJ

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Ok, this is what I did in my last trip to DR November 2014... when off customs at SDQ you will be at the first floor of the terminal find the stair ways and go to the second floor look for AA front desk and exit the building to the right... This is where the Public transport makes turns " Voladoras" popular transportation for emplyees and Dominicans, I don't remember exactly how much I paid but it was about five Dollars for the trip to Tansporte Espinal Bus Stop located next to the corner of Duarte con paris SD.

I got off at the corner of Av. Estrella Sadhala and Juan Pablo Duarte Santiago ( CODETEL) and catched a taxi to my house in Santiago... My Total fees was less than $ 20. Dollars from SDQ to my final destination, but remember I am dominican...

JJ

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Pardon, I forgot about which airport, its SDQ. I'm am talking about a true express bus that will park downstairs where people leaving the airport and they can aboard the bus and pay the fare and the bus will run express to downtown Santo Domingo, maybe near Agora Mall or something like that.

Fare should be $5.00 to $8.00 something like that.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
....... I'm am talking about a true express bus that will park downstairs where people leaving the airport and they can aboard the bus and pay the fare and the bus will run express to downtown Santo Domingo,............at.

Never happen, three reasons.....

1) Taxi Union will never allow it to happen
2) Really not a demand
3) Taxi Union will never let it happen.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Never happen, three reasons.....

1) Taxi Union will never allow it to happen
2) Really not a demand
3) Taxi Union will never let it happen.

I agree with point 1 and 3, but I do think there is a demand. I need to pick up people from the airport all the time that likely would take a shuttle over a taxi.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Taxi Union? Hell with them, if i had $50 million, I can launch this without their approval, why? its my own company and I can operate it if I want to. Why would I need approval from Taxi union?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Taxi Union? Hell with them, if i had $50 million, I can launch this without their approval, why? its my own company and I can operate it if I want to. Why would I need approval from Taxi union?

because there are more of them than there are of you, and they have more guns than you do.

beginning to get it yet?

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
because there are more of them than there are of you, and they have more guns than you do.

beginning to get it yet?

If they see I am paying $50 million for the new bus service, they will glup. Money = More power to you.

I'm just saying big "IF" you have that kind of money. No one will ever turn down for $50 Million ;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If they see I am paying $50 million for the new bus service, they will glup. Money = More power to you.

I'm just saying big "IF" you have that kind of money. No one will ever turn down for $50 Million ;)

Who are you paying off?
Nobody gives a rat's a$$ how much money YOU have, if you are trespassing on their taxi routes, you will get tires flattened and windshields popped to start. "If" you had $50MM, why would you buy a bus service and charge $5, what kind of ROI do you expect?

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Who are you paying off?
Nobody gives a rat's a$$ how much money YOU have, if you are trespassing on their taxi routes, you will get tires flattened and windshields popped to start. "If" you had $50MM, why would you buy a bus service and charge $5, what kind of ROI do you expect?

Interesting reply. I don't give a rat A$$ either, DR taxi are ripoff and I never liked them. They don't treat tourist right for years, I've been to DR for 5+ years and hated it and that is why I always have my wife's family pick me up. I want a decent express bus service just like in the states, simple as that. Why I am charging $5? That's more cheaper than Taxi $30USD (average).

ROI? A decent bus can carry 64 passengers at one time, that is $320 dollars for one bus trip. Remember, it's a EXPRESS not like the SD city bus. Which means each bus will generate $14,321 every time. If it operates every 30 minutes say 5:30am till maybe 11pm, your looking at approx 35 trips a day which means $14,321 x 35 = $501,321RD daily. That will be enough to cover for gas and employees driving the bus. The rest will be save up in the bank. Now if it will operate 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Your looking more than what's worth than what I paid for, $50MM.

Now, that's ROI. Way more than Taxi's revenue!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I agree with point 1 and 3, but I do think there is a demand. I need to pick up people from the airport all the time that likely would take a shuttle over a taxi.

A2B Transfers used to do a shuttle into SD centro and cut the service out because lack of passengers. Let's take a shuttle bus holding 30 passengers. How long would it have to sit waiting for enough passengers to fill the shuttle bus at least two thirds full?

Maybe it is the flights I take into SDQ but I never see many people that a shuttle bus would benefit. The tourists are usually heading to the beach resorts, the locals have already made arrangements for a family member to pick them up.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Interesting reply. I don't give a rat A$$ either, DR taxi are ripoff and I never liked them. They don't treat tourist right for years, I've been to DR for 5+ years and hated it and that is why I always have my wife's family pick me up. I want a decent express bus service just like in the states, simple as that. Why I am charging $5? That's more cheaper than Taxi $30USD (average).

ROI? A decent bus can carry 64 passengers at one time, that is $320 dollars for one bus trip. Remember, it's a EXPRESS not like the SD city bus. Which means each bus will generate $14,321 every time. If it operates every 30 minutes say 5:30am till maybe 11pm, your looking at approx 35 trips a day which means $14,321 x 35 = $501,321RD daily. That will be enough to cover for gas and employees driving the bus. The rest will be save up in the bank. Now if it will operate 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Your looking more than what's worth than what I paid for, $50MM.

i take it you don't live here?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

It's great to dream, 35 trips a day, LOL, and all with 64 passengers!
It will NEVER work, I wish you the best, buy a CD, much "safer" returns.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........... A decent bus can carry 64 passengers at one time,....

That darn bus would sit an hour or more waiting for 64 passengers. As far as I am concerned I will pay $35 to take a taxi to my destination instead of waiting an hour or more plus than I still would need a taxi once I am dropped off in SD centro.

I always go to arrival level and get a yellow shirt taxi driver and the fare is $35 directly to my destination. I don't think that is such a big rip off.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That darn bus would sit an hour or more waiting for 64 passengers. As far as I am concerned I will pay $35 to take a taxi to my destination instead of waiting an hour or more plus than I still would need a taxi once I am dropped off in SD centro.

I always go to arrival level and get a yellow shirt taxi driver and the fare is $35 directly to my destination. I don't think that is such a big rip off.

that is if 64 passengers want to go to the city center...