Gated community? Or not?

DiscoStew

Feb 2, 2015
Are gated communities really safer than being out in the community/hills? There is such a huge amount of emphasis on how "safe" the gated comms are, but how much safer is it?

Do the security guards actually prevent robberies? Do the security guards perpetrate the robberies (as often reported on many x-pat sites)?

The reason I ask is to help assist us on our property hunt. We would like something on a hillside with ocean views, and it seems as though most gated comms are beachfront, and we have spied some great lots in the Las Terrenas area that are non-gated.

Cheers,
Stew

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
dominicans first put up a wall/safty zone before building anything....lock the area up...tough to live like that but you gotta be tough....locks double doors gates. on site people living there to protect you/yours etc...

DiscoStew

Feb 2, 2015
Hmmm... Definitely something of a concern for us. I guess it's a symptom of how much my tax dollars really do work for me here at home.

@harley... I wish the option of renting for 6 months was available to us. We are in our early 40's and are more than a few years away from retiring. What we want to do is get a property that we can enjoy for our 3 weeks holidays a year; something that our adult children can go to for holidays; and of course, rent it out to try to off-sort the monthly payments. (And at 2.85% it's very tempting time to take on a bit of debt) We, sadly, don't own a home here in Canada (Calgary area) and don't foresee getting one here anytime soon. Heck, there are analysts that say our housing is over-inflated by up to 65%...other say only 25%...but with that in mind, plus a nose-diving dollar, our Alberta Gold (oil) industry starting to choke and several other factors...it almost makes way more sense to get into something in DR now and hope to get it payed down in only 12 years.

I know....it's "What they all say"... I'm sure there are thousands of Canadians thinking it right now.

Cheers,
Stew

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
LOADS of rentals in the dr.
Dont count on renting it out to pay the mortgage.
U will NOT be able to leave the place alone half the year if it is not a condo/gated communitie ( and even then it could be iffy.....).

In my mind, it only makes sense to buy a place in the hills/campo, if u are going to live it in. And in that case the dr is good. Build a big house with lots of land for a fraction of what it would cost in europe.

Watch out, it could be a culture shock ( electricity, water, administrations, roads, neighbours, healthcare......).

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If you are buying a house and not here full time, then you should buy in a gated community. Also - something we may not think about when first arriving here, there is no zoning and anything can be put up next to you. Disco, colmado with music etc. etc. Being able to live in a quiet area with no surprises became one of the most important factors when we chose a place to live.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hmmm... Definitely something of a concern for us. I guess it's a symptom of how much my tax dollars really do work for me here at home.

@harley... I wish the option of renting for 6 months was available to us. We are in our early 40's and are more than a few years away from retiring. What we want to do is get a property that we can enjoy for our 3 weeks holidays a year; something that our adult children can go to for holidays; and of course, rent it out to try to off-sort the monthly payments. (And at 2.85% it's very tempting time to take on a bit of debt) We, sadly, don't own a home here in Canada (Calgary area) and don't foresee getting one here anytime soon. Heck, there are analysts that say our housing is over-inflated by up to 65%...other say only 25%...but with that in mind, plus a nose-diving dollar, our Alberta Gold (oil) industry starting to choke and several other factors...it almost makes way more sense to get into something in DR now and hope to get it payed down in only 12 years.

I know....it's "What they all say"... I'm sure there are thousands of Canadians thinking it right now.

Cheers,
Stew

What you have proposed is a really bad idea. Renting out a private home without being here is not something I would recommend. Way too many issues such as distance, management, security, etc, etc, etc......

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
It is very easy to buy here but it usually takes a considerable time to sell unless you are in a gated beachfront condo that is not dated. You will also have to figure the price in US$. Keep renting in Calgary and rent in DR. The dollar and housing market will change as will the interest rates.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Are gated communities really safer than being out in the community/hills? There is such a huge amount of emphasis on how "safe" the gated comms are, but how much safer is it?

Do the security guards actually prevent robberies? Do the security guards perpetrate the robberies (as often reported on many x-pat sites)?

The reason I ask is to help assist us on our property hunt. We would like something on a hillside with ocean views, and it seems as though most gated comms are beachfront, and we have spied some great lots in the Las Terrenas area that are non-gated.

Cheers,
Stew

First, are you buying a property to live in all year round or are you going to rent it out. If you are not going to be in the DR for a good portion of the year than DO NOT buy a free standing property in the hills. Guarantee you that you will get ripped off. Sadly to say if you are not here there is really no one you can put full trust into including a watchman. A gated community where there are people and activity and security is a less likely target. Also in a gated community you can lock your door and leave to go back to the US or Canada with little concern. If you buy or build a house in the hills you have to worry about maintaining the property even when you are not there. Big house, big problems.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
We built in a gated community app. 7 years ago and did exactly what you are suggesting. The house was in the rental pool when we were not here our 4 weeks a year. The community has it's own rental/property management group and they did an EXCELLENT job. Cash flow positive from day 1, and whenever we came down on vacation you couldn't tell that anyone had ever been in the house. They kept it immaculate. The management company took care of everything, we had zero issues or hassles.

We are now here fulltime and if I had to do it over again I wouldn't change a thing.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you are buying a house and not here full time, then you should buy in a gated community. Also - something we may not think about when first arriving here, there is no zoning and anything can be put up next to you. Disco, colmado with music etc. etc. Being able to live in a quiet area with no surprises became one of the most important factors when we chose a place to live.

a very important insight. i have lived in my apartment for 3 years, with only a few minor annoyances. now the owner has rented a large downstairs are for a gymnasium. i hate to think of what is going to happen in the future with the racket downstairs. no zoning is the basis if that problem.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Given that you want to have rental income when you are not here, I would suggest a gated community. Whether it is safer or not matters nothing because the people renting the property nearly always ask about security and a gated community. It's just smart business and likely will help retain any asset appreciation of the property better then not being in one.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'd prefer to live independent but we chose a gated community, even though it's small (10 houses only). We did for the following reasons:
1. Security - I'm reasonably confident that from the front of the house we are covered. Obviously if an armed guy really wants he can kill the watchman and get in, but the idea is that those petty thieves that will just be looking around what house to break in, won't get past the guard. I still have to take care of the back myself, but took measures for that.

2. Children - we have small children that wouldn't be able to play anywhere else than in the back yard if it wouldn't be for the gated area. Now they can play outside, cycle, play hide and seek, run around, reasonable save.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Yes + No

If you are not going to be in the DR for a good portion of the year than DO NOT buy a free standing property in the hills. Guarantee you that you will get ripped off.
Well, we live in the hills above Las Terrenas and you lived down at the coast.

Why would they be more likely to 'get ripped off' buying in the hills rather than buying at the (Cos?n) beach for more than 300USD/sqm?????????

Sadly to say if you are not here there is really no one you can put full trust into including a watchman. A gated community where there are people and activity and security is a less likely target. Also in a gated community you can lock your door and leave to go back to the US or Canada with little concern. If you buy or build a house in the hills you have to worry about maintaining the property even when you are not there. Big house, big problems.

Security in remote places can be established. I suppose, it won't cost you much more than what you pay monthly in a gated community. I'd hate to live in such a 'community' where watchmen often change (you have no say in that) and sometimes are members of a gang. I also prefer to be my own boss and not deal with greedy community admins.

Any property needs to be maintained and more so at the coast (corrosion).

donP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Las lomas is the only area I have never rented in LT( single woman with children) and I was advised against it.
The couple I know living on a Loma is armed and have 2 Doberman, since they are long time residents of LT, I trust them that thst must be a valid reason.
visit often and make friends with residents there who are not trying to sell you something and are assimilated, to get a REAL feel.

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hill with a View

I am afraid, there is no simple answer to that.
It very much depends on the location of those hills [the Cos?n hills (near LT) are considered not very safe nowadays) and on the other hand which gated community it is. There are good and bad ones...

They do both.

We would like something on a hillside with ocean views, and it seems as though most gated comms are beachfront, and we have spied some great lots in the Las Terrenas area that are non-gated.

Beach lots have a limited view; waves yes, wide ocean no.
We can see the horizon of the Atlantic on 140 miles... :bunny:

Pool_1_zps9dzjscui.jpg

donP

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Cheers,
Stew

Wait a minute ....You are renting in Canada but want to buy in DR, a developing country.
Back in the days, you bought a vacation property AFTER you own your own home where you are living full time. Times have changed.....

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Do you have thick skin?

Rent just for yourself when you are here. It is less stressful. If you are in the DR for only three weeks a year it is not worth your while to invest to rent out. There are a great many drawbacks. Who can you trust to administer the property? Will the rent be paid? Will the administrator run off with the rent? Will maintenance be kept up and be billed to you at reasonable and accurate costs? Too many foreigners have been trapped by suave service providers and vendors then taken to the cleaners. How are the bills for utilities be paid? Will the furniture you purchased to furnish the place be there? Tenants have been known to sell the furnishings then tell you the place was robbed while they were away. You can hire a lawyer to recoup some of your losses if someone cheats you and then the lawyer rips you off.

When you are out of the country you are being victimized even if you don't know it. The only investors who survive are the ones on site every day to maintain vigilence of their properties. When properties are in the hands of others it is open season on you.

It all depends on how strong a personality, character, and thick skin you have to put up with the Dominican BS.

Regards,

PJT

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Back in the days, you bought a vacation property AFTER you own your own home where you are living full time. Times have changed.....
Indeed, they have.
I have had people looking at our property, only to tell me that they are very much interested but are still in the red... :tired:

donP