Independence Day no longer 27th February???!!!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I hear that the Alcada of Las Terrenas has changed Independence Day to a different date. This sounds a mad idea to me, will she try and change 4th July too? Anybody know the correct and full story?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Extremely Unlikely

1. Mariana Vanderhorst has no power to do that.
2. 27th, Febr. is a Friday, so good for a long WE for most people anyway.
3. Who said what you heard?
4. Local newspapers do not confirm what you heard.

donP

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
As Dominicans would say, "Quien dijo?"

If there's one thing you can't touch in this country, it's Independence Day.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Carnaval in LT

I hear that the Alcada of Las Terrenas has changed Independence Day to a different date.

I just read this:
Presentan programa Carnaval 2015 Las Terrenas ?Ola del Mar? - InfosDiario.com - Las Terrenas

So, somebody may have misunderstood this:

"El Carnaval de Las Terrenas ser? celebrado el s?bado 07 de marzo 2015, despu?s todos los otros carnavales del territorio nacional. As? que grupos que participan en otros carnavales pondr?n participar tambi?n en el nuestro, algunos de estos grupos, de Santo Domingo, Santiago y del interior, ya fueron invitados."

donP

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks donP, my wife got quite worried that LT was going to declare independence from the rest of the Republic and that we would have to have a new flag but I told her not to worry because we haven't even got RD flag, only a Union Flag, a Romanian one and St George's and that until the government allowed me to vote I wasn't going to buy one! Sad ,in a way, that we don't have a national GB day, i suppose we could use the Queen's birthday but which one, that declared by the government or her real one?

Don't really understand the title of the article in Infos Diario, I thought an ola was a cooking pan.