God, its hot! And fireworks at Christmas???

J

JohnS

So here I am, in Santo Domingo since a few days. Was in Altos de Chavon for the concert. Felt a little old though, standing amidst all those screaming teenagers. Last night was kinda fun, at the Malecon with the beer stands and everything and the music (but a bit loud, no?) But I did not expect it to be this hot! I went jogging this morning and was sweating like a pig when I got back to the hotel.

But why on earth to they shoot forecrackers on Christmas??? This is such a weird country, everything is contrary to the rest of the world, as I know it...

And still I have found only one english bookstore...

Can I live here? I need culture...

D

DOMINICAN PAPI

CHRISTMASS FIREWORKS

fireworks are a christmass tradition in DR. i remember that as a little kid we used to make our own fireworks when we counn't afford to buy them. we made firecrackers with a device made out of old spark plugs. it made a little good noise, but there was another device called the "bazooca" made out of empty food cans taped together and it made a very loud blast when the explosives were ignited with a match. also beware of the "buscapies" (feet seekers) that particular firework is very popular with the tigueres and the tigueritos to make practical jokes and create caos in large crowds (parks, malecon, colmados, frituras ect.)
as they are lit up then are trown to the floor to chase people, so they break running to avoid being blasted by the funny explosives (lol). fireworks are not over yet. just wait until new year's eve and you will hear the cannon blasts made by the army at midnight, and all the loaded tigueres shooting their guns up in the air.

H

hlywud

John's previous post??

Somehow I thought it said you were a 100% pure dominican, and you don't know about fire works at Christmas. Seems very strange, where are you really from.

J

Jan

i had no idea

When I first heard the fireworks I went on the roof to watch..and asked a neighbor what was the celebration and he told me about it. I like it but my dog Sniffy has been so nervous for weeks..but she will get over it.
Thsi is all new to me also..today someone told me about the magi thing. I never heard of that before either.So I think the kids here are pretty lucky...2 days of gifts..wish I was a Dominican when I was growing up!!
I love learning about all these new holidays and new ways to celebrate..this country is such a marvel. I love it here more and more all the time!!

J

John

he is the fake johns, i am john

and i am 100% dominican.
well, i was in Altos de Chav?n too. but there were not many teens as you say. I had a very good time. after the concert i went to Genesis (the best club here)and i got very drunk. but that is, i am on vacation.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: God, its hot! Loren read this,hehehe!

John:

You havent seen nothing yet! The last few days it was not just firecrackers they were shooting, but real guns. Everyone who has a gun takes advantage of the holidays to warm up their guns and shoot from roofs, balconies and windows.

As far as Altos de Chavon, Guido Gomez Mazara, the protege of Hipolito Mejia and his Legal Counselor got a rude awakening at the Concert that night. Thinking his popularity was high, he paid the master of ceremony to mention his name during the introductions so he could stand up and salute the crowd and was almost expelled by the boos and jeering from the crowd!!

That just goes to show you his inexperience in politics and that only his luck of being next to Hipolito has placed him in that position. He should know, as I have stated before, that politicians always bring their cheering crowds with them. He went the cheap way and just bought tickets for himself and his wife. He should have brought a whole entourage and spent about $50,000 in tickets to show off at Altos de Chavon. He is still shaking from the embarrassment.

The same thing happened to Peruvian President Toledo at a similar type event and he had to run out of the stadium from the egg shower he got. You will be seeing more of these egg throwing incidents in 2002 in DR.

TW

J

John

Re: God, its hot! Loren read this,hehehe!

Altos de Chavon is not the place for politicians shows their sympathy, just poor people will cheer to them. and there were not poors in Chav?n.
Guido next time go to a bachata festival.

P

Pib

To the "fake Johns":

"And still I have found only one english bookstore..."

Book stores:
Bookies: Av. 27 de Febrero (books in English)
The Book Store: Av. Sarasota (books in English)
Cuesta Centro del Libro: Av. 27 de Febrero (English books section)
Thesaurus: Av. Sarasota (English books section)

Libraries:
Dominico-Americano: Av. Abraham Lincoln
Hellen Kellogg: Av. Independencia

For more details check the phone book or email me. Maybe you could even convince me to lend you a few books.

Firecrackers?! make me nervous, but it's OK, it's Christmas d....t!!

L

Loren

Not too far from his family there,

Just a half an hour away eh TW? hehehe I know some people who I will piss off by mentioning that incident. You know who I'm talking about.

A

azb

Re: yes, they shoot real guns in new year eve.

I had seen people shoot guns towards the ocean in the melecon and in costambar beach (in puerto plata area) on new year's eve but I was shocked to see how young guys were shooting in the air (randomly) in santiago's residencial area.
I was standing in a street watching the fire work in the monumento in my friend's neighborhood when i saw a few young guys pull out their hand guns and fired in the air like they were shooting water pistols. They simply emptied out their clips and simply put the guns away and kept drinking. I used to think these things only happened in northern pakistan but seeing the dominicans do it in the middle of crowd was a bit surprising.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Loren:Mazara reaction to the jeers

Loren: Guido Mazara in a shameless response to the booing went on to say "I kind of like that...it goes to show you I am somebody. People only react like this agaisnt people who are somebody" His honorable father, Maximiliano Gomez, who died at the hands of Balaguers 12 years of terror would have turn in his grave. By the way, did you know Guido went to see Balaguer to negotiate votes for Hipolitos reelection? What a sibling?

TW

M

Miriam Webster

Re: Loren:Mazara reaction to the jeers

My good man("TW"),If you choose to use the English Language,please use it correctly! If this "Guido" chap is the son of Mister Gomez,he cannot be his brother at the same time!I strongly urge you to invest in an English dictionary! Miriam

M

mkohn

They shoot fireworks

because they can!
When we were kids in the DR, that was one thing that got my brothers going. Unfortunately, my brother nearly shot off his own hand. They have fireworks in the Florida keys, and in Hawaii too. My guess, it's only we from the north, where it's cold, and nobody wants to go outside and freeze their buns off, where fireworks are not customary on Christmas and New Year's.
Fireworks in the tropics! We have a dusting of snow compared to your hot. Wish I were there.:)

J

johns (with an s)

To hlywud! Difference betw. johns and john!

hlywud! Hm... sounds welsh! Are you from Wales? Anyway, please not the difference between johns WITH an s and john without an s!

J

johns (with an s)

To PIB . Marvel??? Cultural marvel???

A marvel??? What about culture??? Or the lack of it! You are not an intellectual person in need of culture??? Or perjaps you can enlighten me!? WHere do I find the cultural establichemtn of Santo Domingo? As a comparison, when I was in Frankfurt in October, I went to the english theater and saw Death of a Salesman. Then I enjoyed talking to people visiting for the bookfair. What should I do here???

J

johns (with an s)

Already been there, Pib!

PIB! Thanks for the advice! I do appreciate it! However, I have already visited The Book Store (in Sarasota) and I just had lunch in Thesaurus, and to be honest, the selection of english books is lousy!!! Imagine, this is a city with 2.000.000 people! Gee wiz!

And I can not use Amazon.com cuz the damned postal service is unreliable!

I guess I have to accept the fact that this is a developing country, try to blend in, drink Presidente and get a gun...

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Criss Colon(AKA)Miriam Webster

The sibling thing is a reference to "Que hermanito me gasto?" which is a Dominican figure of speech.

Now, you should not be the one correcting my English. Yours is by far too elementary in comparison to mine. Schools in Southern Illinois have some of the lowest national ratings in America.

What you should invest is in a way to hide to IP address which is known by everyone here. Just check every Criss Colon posting and you will see your own foolishness.

TW

J

Jan

Re: . Marvel??? Cultural marvel???

Well it depends on what you mean by culture..if you mean snubbing the real people to look important then thats not for me!In general I have always thought that being real..no matter what your monetary value is ..is much more important.And by the way..I haven't much money but I've had a great life. I've lived on both sides of the tracks and have learned that what you own isn't important but enjoying what you have,freinds,family,and life,is what matters most!And I love life,and this country!