Ba Careful Filling Those Propane Tanks.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
What percentage of homes in the DR cook with propane? 90%? 97%?

How dangerous is propane?

This dangerous:

[video=youtube_share;2WGvAFyQK6I]http://youtu.be/2WGvAFyQK6I[/video]

The guy running across the road at 0:12 is the truck driver

Sep 4, 2012
It being transported in such way of course it'll be dangerous to say in a tepid sort of way. I've used propane for cooking and heating for years in the USA and for cooking in the DR, no a thing to be afraid of, of course I keep safety first at all times.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
my friends father....filled up his tank of course in the us it would have been confiscated and trashed....it was filled up leaked all the way home got home he put it in backyard where there was a firepit...he died...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Fuel safety is not rocket science. In NA the Govt and regulating bodies take on the responsibility of keeping consumers safe by adopting a set of well known and understood standards. People who work with and install fuel systems are licensed and trained. Their are always boneheads of course who disregard the rules and perform substandard work but for the most part everyone tries not to kill anyone else.

Here in the DR as elsewhere in the developing world, the onus is on the consumer to protect themselves. Knowledge is key. Propane is heavier than air (unlike natural gas which rises) and collects along the floor and in depressions such as cisterns. Propane is more difficult to disperse by opening windows and doors than is nat. gas. Sparks from water heaters, static electricity and electrical outlets near the floor are much more likely to prove disastrous with propane than Nat. gas.

In places without adequate regulations the consumer is in charge of their own safety. This starts with the fuel tank itself. Fuel tanks have a finite service life. 5 years is a good rule of thumb. Buy a new tank, write the date on it and in 5 years throw the old tank out or recycle it and get a new one. Do not even attempt to repair a faulty valve, regulator or leaky tank here. The guy doing the repair probably couldn't tell a defective valve from a good one if both are shinny.

The hose that connects the tank to the delivery hose in the wall absolutely must be made specifically for gaseous fuels. Garden hoses and non-reinforced cheap plastic hoses are not ok. Fuel is under pressure and plastics weaken over time. Eventually they will leak. Hoses should be connected to fuel tanks and distribution hoses with threaded connectors not screw clamps.

All accessible connections should be tested frequently with a water/soap mixture for leaks at the tank, and at the appliances that burn the fuel. Once a week is not too often here in the land of high humidity, and salt air.

You can get threaded NA approved gas hoses and hose-to-hose threaded connectors on Amazon if you don't feel like sourcing them locally. Buy some today.

If you own your home, pull the F&*%ing piece of garbage hose out of the wall and install a stronger and more robust approved hose to transport the fuel from the tank to the appliances. It's a pain in the butt but you only get to live once and being able to almost completely forget about the possibility of filling your walls with explosive gas is worth the trouble.

While you are on Amazon buying some flexible gas hoses for the tank end of your fuel system, pick up a flex hose for each appliance you plan to connect.

When I fill an empty BBQ sized propane tank, I drive to the gas vendor, fill the tank and drive straight home and get that tank out of the car. Propane boils and turns from liquid to a gas at -42 C. When it is over 100 F in your car that tank tank is just a rocking and rolling. The slightest defect in a seal or weld may very well result in an bleve explosion equivalent to 4 to 5 hand grenades for a standard BBQ sized tank to a full fledged bomb for the larger tanks we all use to fuel our stoves. It goes without saying, empty or full, if there is a propane tank in your car, don't smoke even if the windows are open. The propane will be at your feet not your head or the open window. Have an accident with an unsecured pressurized fuel tank in the vehicle and all bets are off.

If you cook with gas, you need a carbon monoxide detector in your kitchen and near your bedrooms. Why not buy a smoke/CM combo unit and install them. Double the protection for a relatively minimal cost.

It's not a bad idea to actually turn the flow of gas off at the tank when you are not actually cooking something. Again a pain in the butt to turn it back on when you go to light the stove but a much safer practice than waiting for a leak to develop. Propane tanks should NEVER be placed inside four walls, but here we all do it. If you are changing hoses, buy one long enough to put the tank outside.

it doesn't matter if we are talking about electricity or gaseous fuels. Both can and will kill you if not properly connected and maintained. The installers here and elsewhere in the third world, probably don't know and don't care. You have to step up and understand how these systems work and what the best practices are. Otherwise, it's just another bullet in the chamber in the daily game of "Russian Roulette" that is life in the developing world.

Last edited:
May 12, 2005
I guess that maybe the video got reported to FB and taken down. A man got his arm severed at a Propa Gas station. My think that maybe the tank was over pressurized and the valve popped off acting like a piece of shrapnel. Of course no one helps the guy as he he is lying on the ground bleeding out but someone did video it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
33w3a6o.jpg

sometimes i think guys like that are a part of the plan pichardo talked about a while ago, "first dominican in space: 2075." hopefully "all dominican in space: 2076" will be the next step.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
33w3a6o.jpg

sometimes i think guys like that are a part of the plan pichardo talked about a while ago, "first dominican in space: 2075." hopefully "all dominican in space: 2076" will be the next step.

Where do you think terrorists got the idea of a car bomb? Do this guy really have a cigarette in his mouth? Por supesta!!!!!

May 29, 2006
He is "GOING GREEN"!!!!!
First "moto" running on propane!
Guess he has a fear about running out!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I wonder why there aren't more motos running on propane. My dad used to have a car that ran on propane that had a 50 lb tank in the trunk. Maybe you can't get that many miles on a 25 pound tank or it's too bulky.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I guess that maybe the video got reported to FB and taken down. A man got his arm severed at a Propa Gas station. My think that maybe the tank was over pressurized and the valve popped off acting like a piece of shrapnel. Of course no one helps the guy as he he is lying on the ground bleeding out but someone did video it.

I watched the video and it was very gruesome. Like you say nobody did anything to stem the bleeding, but by the sounds of it there were plenty of people there to film it.

He died about half an hour after. I'm guessing by blood loss.

He was an employee of Propa Gas, so I've been told by someone who knew him.

The story I've been told is that the tank was in bad condition with visible signs of rust on it. Apparently the employees are to refuse service to tanks in bad condition. He probably got offered a little something to overlook the rusty tank. Shame. It cost him his life.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I would say it is not apparent that he was offered something. I would say that it was probable that he ignored the problem.

Why is that important? Because it puts the blame where it probably belongs!