pozo, cisternas, tinacos?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am seeing a lot of new apartments advertised with pozos ... which I assume are wells? How does that work? I live in an old building and we have a tinanco, a water tank on the roof for each apartment, but obviously the new apartment buildings do not have those. And we have a cisterna, a cistern, which holds the water from the street which comes in twice a day, I think, but I could be wrong, I have heard of buildings which ran out of water, Another where old bills were not paid and deliveries were stopped or most of the deliveries were stopped.. Anyone know more on this?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can't comment on the apartments in SD, but yes, a pozo is a well. At our house we have a well with a deep pump, which pumps the water into our cistern. We also have a very large tinaco on the roof that can be filled either from the cistern or from the well directly. We do not get any city water - but it is available, our neighbors get it. The city water only comes on certain days, isn't free, and sometimes doesn't come for a week or more.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Most people that have a well complain about the quality of the water. Most pediatrician a recommend to not bath little children in it.
Most building by the way use the well as a backup for when there is no water from CAASD

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, that is what they did in the residential complex where we used to live in Santo Domingo. Pozo, cisterna and tinaco.