Tipping at AI and Off-Resort

Scott C

Feb 1, 2015
Looking for some insight on appropriate tips for service both on the AI resort and off.

Tips for housekeeping? Daily or Weekly?
Tips for Bartenders?
Tips for Front Desk and other hotel support staff?
Tips for servers in buffet area?
Tips for Taxi/Car Drivers?
What is considered a "good" tip What is an appropriate tip for outstanding service?
Any other insight/feedback is appreciated.

I respect the opinions of those that chose not to tip, however, I choose to tip. Please keep the discussion on track. Thank you

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
I usually leave 2 bucks a day for the housekeeping. For the bartenders I wait a day or two. Whoever treats me great I will slip them like ten bucks. After that they always remember you. A dollar here and there when i go up for drinks. I usually slip the poor gardeners couple bucks because they are in the heat and no one thinks of them. Usually slip them some beers too. You're not supposed to of course but god they must get thirsty too! I bring 75 one dollar bills for 7 day stay and usually have none left at the end.

Scott C

Feb 1, 2015
I usually leave 2 bucks a day for the housekeeping. For the bartenders I wait a day or two. Whoever treats me great I will slip them like ten bucks. After that they always remember you. A dollar here and there when i go up for drinks. I usually slip the poor gardeners couple bucks because they are in the heat and no one thinks of them. Usually slip them some beers too. You're not supposed to of course but god they must get thirsty too! I bring 75 one dollar bills for 7 day stay and usually have none left at the end.
Thank you! Wondering about tipping for some extra cans of beer in the mini-bar daily....or if there is another way to "negotiate" for some extra cans of beer! :)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Thank you! Wondering about tipping for some extra cans of beer in the mini-bar daily....or if there is another way to "negotiate" for some extra cans of beer! :)

Yeah, go to the colmado and buy them!
The most a beer in a two star ALL- Inclusive is going to be out of the mini-bar is RD 100
Pesos. You are on vacation, SPLURGE!

markryan

Jul 16, 2014

Leave a note in the fridge with 5 bucks. There will be a ton beer there for you. Believe me.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
If your not sitting in a plastic chair on the corner (at least once) with a Jumbo bottle (no 12 oz cans pleeez), of bien fria beer,
and a Little wee plastic cup, your not really in the Caribbean. The sights and sounds of the locals provide the other bookend to
The lovely beach and sunsets you paid for....consider it a bonus.

I leave $1-2 US a day for the mini fridge guy and a nice note of what i would like and ty... $2-3 a day for the maid plus whatever things I brought for her kids. The bartender I think it is easiest to just tip him daily, but I tip after every drink.(didn't used to drink so didn't order that much)

$1-2 for the waitresses after every meal and we tip the cooks who make your pasta, omelets etc the same.

Front desk I usually tip on checkout, $5 or something can't remember.

I don't ever take private taxi's here but I am sure they would like whatever extra you give them.

Since many are cheap and or don't tip I am sure whatever you decide will be appreciated!!!

At regular restaurants I tip 20%+ but most really don't here so 10% is considered a good tip I think!! The amount of people I see leave no tip is amazing!!

Have fun and sounds like you will be treated well!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Looking for some insight on appropriate tips for service both on the AI resort and off.

Tips for housekeeping? Daily or Weekly?
Tips for Bartenders?
Tips for Front Desk and other hotel support staff?
Tips for servers in buffet area?
Tips for Taxi/Car Drivers?
What is considered a "good" tip What is an appropriate tip for outstanding service?
Any other insight/feedback is appreciated.

I respect the opinions of those that chose not to tip, however, I choose to tip. Please keep the discussion on track. Thank you

I usually tip a service oriented person at both an A-I or other hotels. At an A-I there are many people, especially Europeans who do not tip anyone. If you want good service during your stay than tip as you go. When my wife and I stayed at various A-Is we would bring a bunch of 1 dollar bills with us to use to tip bartenters, waiters/waitresses, bell boys and housekeepers. Always reward good service. You might need a special request during your stay and you will be happy that you took the time to reward it.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Bring a lot of one dollar bills. One or two dollar tip goes a long way in DR. If there is a crowd at the bar just shows a dollar bill and you will be the next to order a drink. I don’t tip over two dollars. I tip the people who take care of me i.e; bag handlers, house keepers and food service.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Don't forget to tip the massage lady at the spa , you will get a much better massage........trust me.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
At all the AIs I leave $5 on the bed with a note saying thank you. If I want the fridge stocked- I say what I want and add $5 no matter whether beer or rum. Yes I tip the waiters and the beach bar staff but I am also patient and friendly cos sometimes it is not just the money!!

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
Usually i leave $100. pesos a day for the room cleaning person, sometimes $150. when i ask for extra's, like those santo domingo coffee grinds, i take home a bunch lol. I give the occasion $50-$100 pesos at the bar. In the buffet's i always leave $50. sometimes $100. if the service is really good.
After the nightly entertainment i pick a favourite dancer/singer and will slip $200.-$500. pesos. Gives me nice pretty company before and between shows....my fav lady would find me and sit with me for awhile, hola amor :) lol. Sometimes even arrange some off resort time with her, you know a cable car ride, then maybe a cabana ride after. :) The tip gets a little bigger then though . lol.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
you people ruin it they are paid well....how can u figure it ...u are spending almost more in one week then they make in a year...(maybe)
i try to fill (buy nice /good things blouses /soaps/ shirts / nice childrens things from your neighbor for 50Cents...)my case with this stuff and give it away...it is worth more than your dollar...a pair of sneaks...good used bra u dont use anymore 40$ at the secret store... etc...nice pair of sunglasses....i always leave my shampoo

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
i always brought many childrens clothes, ball caps, and always leave my off AI friend shampoo, tooth paste, q tips, etc. and a couple thousand pesos. I have been to the homes and know what it is like. I was just commenting on tipping on the AI..
One time i took one of the pregnant servers to La Sirena and bought for her many baby items, probably 2500 pesos worth. I'm a sucker for giving here and there, only wish i was rich enough to help more some of the poor but very good people there.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
the servers make nothing , its a real shame since idea of AI is to not have to worry about having money Tip them

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

I typically do the reverse. Tip the housekeeper a day or two into my stay, if everything goes according to hoyle. The barkeep gets an immediate tip to ensure a good pour.

Tracy Petit Berns

Feb 20, 2015
Boy am I glad I saw this post before going. Great advice! Do these people really appreciate getting "goods" though, more than the american dollar? That seems unusual...

Thanks everyone for the input!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
No Tracy, they need money and they appreciate it. They are paid very little. They can buy whatever they need. And they don't need more bottles of shampoo.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think anything is appreciated... $$, goods, food.... the list can be long

in truth, everything has value......dontcha think ?