Newbe home owner questions

Boowow

Feb 5, 2015
Hi.
We are new home owners in Las Galeras.
I have a a lot of questions - but figured I'd start with these:

1. What is the story on home owners insurance for vacation home / rental property...? We are a few years away from moving down full-time and plan on visiting three or four times a year for now and renting otherwise. Can you share in info on Insurance - Damage & Liability...?

2. Internet... Provider Choices. Best Buy. Pit Falls to Avoid. Don't really care too much about TV - but do want to bring in internet service. Any thoughts you care to share for starting out...?

Thanks! Look forward to hearing from you.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If you want to send me a pm I will give you my insurance guys details. He has offices in Bavaro and SD. As far as internet check with the local people and find out what works best in the area. We have Claro and its not great.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Check with the local cable TV company to see if they have cable modem internet service. Most of such service here will provide you the benefit of a US IP address. Once moving to a cable modem from Claro DSL I would not consider going back to Claro unless they provide a fiber optic service.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Welcome. You get one free piece of advice for being a newbie here. Never, ever, leave property vacant. Good luck.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
LG Mistake

We are new home owners in Las Galeras.
(...) We are a few years away from moving down full-time and plan on visiting three or four times a year for now and renting

Me thinks, you made a mistake. :disappoin

donP

Boowow

Feb 5, 2015
Why is that, we have been numerous times to the area? Love to know your thoughts on why this is a mistake. LT is lovely - but LG is quite and seems so much more like island life! We plan on moving to LG full-time within 10 years.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Why is that, we have been numerous times to the area? Love to know your thoughts on why this is a mistake. LT is lovely - but LG is quite and seems so much more like island life! We plan on moving to LG full-time within 10 years.

When you have a free standing home in a relatively secluded area my first though is what security precautions are you taking when you are not in the DR? How secure is the house? Who will be checking for you? Are leaving anything of value? It's one thing if you live there full time. It is another if you are only coming a few times a year. If local people no you are gone for a long period of time then your property may be in jeopardy. You are not in Kansas or for that matter NYC where there is some semblance of people respecting the law and private property. I am sorry but I would never buy outside of a gated community in the DR if I wasn't there to ensure that my property is ok and then you still will have problems. It's not necessarily buying in LG it is the fact that you will not be there most of the time. Also you may be able to rent in the high season but it might be difficult between June and November. If you are renting it I would suggest listing it on VRBO.com or Homeaway.com. It will cost you about $350.usd per year but you will get many people looking at it. Good luck and I hope it works for you.

Boowow

Feb 5, 2015
When you have a free standing home in a relatively secluded area my first though is what security precautions are you taking when you are not in the DR? How secure is the house? Who will be checking for you? Are leaving anything of value? It's one thing if you live there full time. It is another if you are only coming a few times a year. If local people no you are gone for a long period of time then your property may be in jeopardy. You are not in Kansas or for that matter NYC where there is some semblance of people respecting the law and private property. I am sorry but I would never buy outside of a gated community in the DR if I wasn't there to ensure that my property is ok and then you still will have problems. It's not necessarily buying in LG it is the fact that you will not be there most of the time. Also you may be able to rent in the high season but it might be difficult between June and November. If you are renting it I would suggest listing it on VRBO.com or Homeaway.com. It will cost you about $350.usd per year but you will get many people looking at it. Good luck and I hope it works for you.

Thanks. I totally hear you. Luckily, our spot is a in multi-unit compound with a full-time Expat manager who's on the case. We already see opportunities for expanding rental - though the yearly report we have was pleasantly surprising. As far as locking up - we have learned a lot about that in our past visits - and are satisfied with the lock-up situation there. We do plan on a full lock change once we take possession.
Question - how do you insure your place?
Thanks again for the well wishes - and keep the good vibes AND suggestions coming!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks. I totally hear you. Luckily, our spot is a in multi-unit compound with a full-time Expat manager who's on the case. We already see opportunities for expanding rental - though the yearly report we have was pleasantly surprising. As far as locking up - we have learned a lot about that in our past visits - and are satisfied with the lock-up situation there. We do plan on a full lock change once we take possession.
Question - how do you insure your place?
Thanks again for the well wishes - and keep the good vibes AND suggestions coming!

That makes more sense now that you have filled in the gaps about your purchase. Good luck

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Re insurance: We are in Cabrera and work thru an insurance agent in Caberette, so cannot comment what is available in LG. However I can tell you to be prepared to pay double what you paid in North America. They tell me it is because of the high rate of burglary here. !000+ USA $, covers us for every thing except the solar panels on the roof. Also, you may not be able to get insurance if you rent to others,- that is a whole different category. Congrats on chosing LG,- Tho I am in Cabrera I might have chosen LG if I had known about it sooner. Love the clean and green Samana peninsula. At age 73 you don't mind the lack of things to do in LG. We oldies have learned how to amuse ourselves,---nuff said!!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
"I don't do TV myself."

1. Some may feed on seaweed out there; however, many shop in Las Terrenas (driving about 85 km O/W).
2. LG is quite? Quite what? Quite boring, yes.
Quiet? No mopeds without silencers? ;)
3. Beaches in LT stretch from Cos?n to El Lim?n, so many to choose from.
4. Renting out in LG? For maybe 10 years? They showed you a pleasant 'yearly report'? Of course...
How much do you pay in monthly fees?
5. Island life? Sure.... :tired:

Island_Life_zps1wbcmjre.png

"You mean you don't find it interesting that there were 5,714 waves yesterday? That's above the average of 5, 567!!!"

donP

Last edited: