Book stores

Marc Borms

Feb 8, 2015
Are there any great bookstores in Santo Domingo?
I'm not looking for the large chain stuff but original ...

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Are there any great bookstores in Santo Domingo?
I'm not looking for the large chain stuff but original ...

Bookstores are considered to be a cultural barometer....lot of culture = lots of bookstores.....few bookstores = ????

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
There's a bookstore on av.27 with Lincoln (in the building of Supermercados Nacional). There's another one in Bella Vista Mall, I think it belongs to New Horizon school. There are several Christian book stores as well.

Then there are smaller book stores inside some of the department stores.

Real big European style book stores you won't find here.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
There's a bookstore on av.27 with Lincoln (in the building of Supermercados Nacional). There's another one in Bella Vista Mall, I think it belongs to New Horizon school. There are several Christian book stores as well.

Then there are smaller book stores inside some of the department stores.

Real big European style book stores you won't find here.

There are a number of small bookstores dotted around the Zona Colonial in the streets parallel to El Conde. and there may still be some bookstands actually on El Conde buying and selling used books in Spanish and other languages. The bookstore in the Nacional building on 27 de febrero/Lincoln is part of the Centro Cuesta Nacional group and it is known as Libreria Cuesta. The only real dedicated "US/European style" stand-alone bookstore used to be "Thesaurus" on the corner of Lincoln and Sarasota a couple of blocks south of 27 de febrero/Lincoln but it closed down last year - obviously indicative of a low demand in Santo Domingo for such establishments.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
There's a great little independent bookstore in the Colonial Zone, on Arzobispo Nouel and the intersection of Duarte (just east). Specialize very much in politics, political and social history, sociology, history, and related topics. Sorry I don't recall the name and I doubt that they have a website, but if your in the CZ and interested in those topics, do pay them a visit!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
For Dominican authored books, check out:

LIBRER?A LA TRINITARIA

Arz Nouel 160, Ciudad Colonial

Tel 809 686-6110

One of the last survivors of the bookstores.

Reasons: Books here are very expensive.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Bookstores are considered to be a cultural barometer....lot of culture = lots of bookstores.....few bookstores = ????

an addendum to your insight is the fact that if you want to acquire a bookcase, you are never going to find one in a furniture store. you have to get one custom made.

why, you ask?

no demand..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are a number of small bookstores dotted around the Zona Colonial in the streets parallel to El Conde. and there may still be some bookstands actually on El Conde buying and selling used books in Spanish and other languages. The bookstore in the Nacional building on 27 de febrero/Lincoln is part of the Centro Cuesta Nacional group and it is known as Libreria Cuesta. The only real dedicated "US/European style" stand-alone bookstore used to be "Thesaurus" on the corner of Lincoln and Sarasota a couple of blocks south of 27 de febrero/Lincoln but it closed down last year - obviously indicative of a low demand in Santo Domingo for such establishments.

if the demand in SD is low, try thinking about how low it must be in the rest of the country..

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
That's the one Dolores, TRINITARIA, thank you! It was driving me crazy that I couldn't remember the name, and couldn't find it on google anywhere, but a wonderful store! Rocking chairs to relax in and all!

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
an addendum to your insight is the fact that if you want to acquire a bookcase, you are never going to find one in a furniture store. you have to get one custom made.

why, you ask?

no demand..

I got mine at IKEA - the Swedish read:)

STI has some small book stores. The biggest I have seen is at the old National.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005

why, you ask?

no demand..

Plenty bookcases on display in IKEA, though maybe they don't actually sell very many.................