POP Beaches

A

allan

We've been to Punta Cana the last 2 years (Natura Park and Catalonia resorts)and loved the beaches. We don't spend a lot of time on the beach but liked the soft white sand of Punta Cana for long walks. This year we are going to RIU Merengue in POP so my question is -will we be disappointed in the beaches at this POP resort?

A

azb

POP beaches are no match to punta cana beaches. Rio merengue is not really inside POP but about 15 mins drive away from the city. This resort is really not that bad for the price but not in the same class as the punta cana resorts.

J

John

Sorry, but the true is yes, you will be disappointed. The beaches in the north coast are great, but not the beach in front of Riu merengue. I will recommend you to take a taxi or drive north to Sosua or playa grande. water in sosua is even clear than punta cana, but the sand is golden. playa grande is one of the best beach in the country.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: White sand Vs golden brown sand

There is no question that the Punta Cana and Bavaro sand is the best in the resort areas. White sand is the equivalent of refined white sugar, while the golden brown variety is like the brown sugar from molasses.

This is why I always bring up Miami Beach as an example. The sand at Miami Beach is coarse, almost construction sand variety. It even hurts you when you walk barefooted.

Punta Cana sand is so fine, it does not stick to your shoes. I tried walking one time with suede shoes and when I got home there was no sand sticking.

D

Drake

Playa Grande -best baech in the countryt

Playa Grande is a long beach with white sand. What makes it so special is the waves and unlike Punta Cana, Playa Grande is on the Atlantic Ocean. I used to camp there as a kid. It is a great place to eat a fish and hang out for a day.

D

Doug

Re: Playa Grande -best baech in the countryt

If you are going golfing.....be sure to play the playa grande golf course....I've been told that it ranks right up there with the best in the world! And this is from "golfers" guys that play to a 10 or under and always play from the tips!

J

John

Caribbean Village Playa Grande is just being remodelated and it is a great resort to stay. now is under allegro management.

D

Doug

Re: I am a 6 hcp. and Teeth of Dog is #1

Hlywud; I've played the teeth and I really like the course, played golf for many yrs and I've played pebble, Ancaster G and C(which is now Hamilton G.&C) where the Canadien open is going to be played in 2004 and is probably the best course in Canada, besides redtail (where the membership is about 30 ppl, including Sean Connery, Mel Gibson, Greztky (honerary, not a real member)but Redtail cannot be played unless you know someone very well connected)and I've played a lot of the courses out west and also in the States (Firestone,tpc at sawgrass,danceing Rabbit, in Philly and many more top notch courses)and to be truthful The teeth is a top drawer course, but from what I hear from buddies who have played both, playa grande is better, I honestly don't find it to be in the top 25 in the world, but it is up there for sure.

I'm not as good as player as yourself, nor as good as your nephew, who is a asst, pro in London Ontario, but I'm about a 12 handicap and take the game very seriously, and always play from the tips. By the way I play with Mike Weirs brother all the time, as he works for me. He's not as good as his brother, but he is an accomplished golfer. Personally I think the Glen Abbey in Toronto, home of the Canadien Open, Canada's premier event, is a totally overated course, as the Teeth! Have you played Playa Grande?

A

Andy B

Although Playa Grande is a fine beach, the only beach in the DR that is internationally ranked is Playa Rincon at the tip of the Samana Peninsula. The Rincon and Las Galeras Bay area has some 12 white, sandy beaches that are among the prettiest in the Caribbean.

H

hillbilly

As a "golf"course, Playa Grande is way

better than Teeth. And like Doug, everyone I know who has played the best in the world-Like Jack Corrie-say that P.G. is as good and maybe better than Pebble.

Las week, my son played a great round up there (69 from the tips) and beat Julio the Club Pro, by 2. Two days ago, with wind and rain, they shot 79 and 76 respectively.

HB

D

Doug

HB

Hb your Son must be quite a golfer, last time I played the Teeth...it was a very good day(wind, rain, greens were freshly cut, ect)and I played my best and shot 78 and that is my best ever at the Teeth. I'll have to maybe try to hook up with you and your son next time down there, cause I intend to see this course for myself and play it also! I'll make sure I let you know in advance of when I'm coming down!

P.S. do you know of the condition of the rentals there? AS I never bring my clubs down with me. If you can, would you find out for me....cause I have friends on the south coast whose clubs I will borrow if they are rough or non-existant at Playa Grande, I always bring my shoes, but never the sticks, I find it not worth it because our trips are not for golf, but I always do manage to get in three to four rounds in the two weeks we are there.

G

Golfer

Hillbilly, Who's playing Playa Grande?

For years I've traveled to the DR from the US just to play Playa Grande. I feel it's the finest coastal course on the globe, much better layout than Pebble Beach or Teeth of the Dog. But since the adjacent resort has closed for remodeling who's playing the course? The nearest airport is one and a half hours of Mr. Toads Wild Ride away and once you get there there's nowhere to stay. The course has always shone through the Dominican management but now I fear with no play it will go to seed similar to your Las Aromas in Santiago. There's a review of the course on Debbies Dominican Site from before they closed the resort that said the greens hadn't been cut for a week. No US charters are going to the North Coast of the DR anymore, Canada 3000 is belly-up and Europeans don't play golf. What do you see as the long term prospect for this gem? Are there plans for an airstrip and a development? I'm worried.
PS - Playa Grande Beach is wonderful. The privacy, sand and surf are spectacular. The downsides are the proliferation of garbage, very difficult to walk on the sloping, yielding sand and about half the days the surf is too dangerous for swiming

J

JB

Re: Hillbilly, Who's playing Playa Grande?

THE RESORT AT PLAYA GRANDE IS OPEN AS OF 12/01/01 FRENDS HAVE JUST GOT BACK, FOUND BEACH BAR WASHED OUT FROM STORM, BUT NO DAMANGE TO GOLFE COURSE. IT IS IN FINE SHAPE AND THEY SEEM TO BE MOVEING THE PINS MORE OFTEN.(LAST FIVE YEARS I HAVE BEEN THERE PINS WERE MOVED EVERY TWO DAYS,GREENS SHAVED DALEY)GREAT COURSE WITH PLEANTY OF PLAY,

JB