Sosua Bay Club

B

Bill Cookfair

We are thinking of booking the Sosua Bay Club in Feb., but can't find much info about it. One article says opening Sept. 2001, another Jan. 2002. Does anyone know if it's open, is it actually on the beach, or near it. I have seen different pictures and am not sure if it is a new orange/redish colored building or the blue and white one next store. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

B

Bux_dutch

Most people I hear talking about Sosua beach club don?t think it will open in January at least not completely. I?m going to Sosua Jan. 21th I can let you know if it?s open or closed but I guess that?s too late for you.
Take a look at this link (red building should be SBC) but its computer animated
www.amhsahotels.com/resorts/sosua_bay_club/index.htm

Rob

M

Marc

It is the new red/orange one. The white one is Marco Polo club, or something like that.

Still not open, and to be honest with you if ANY portion of it will be open in January it will be a very small portion of it and depending on your expectations may disappoint if not all of the services you expected to have are 100% ready.

Yes, it is right on the ocean, not much of a beach immediately in front of the hotel, but you are litterally seconds away from the main beach area.

Good luck with whatever you decide
marc

T

Tor

Sosua is destroyed by these fucking all inclusives! Regular Resaurants, bars and discos are closing down. If you realy like this all inclusive bullshit, go anywhere else!
Was there in november, and the place is still an construction area.
Some good hotel choices in Sosua: Don Andres, Yaroa, Waterfront and Europa.

D

Doug

Little heavy on the language don't you think tor, for such a simple dissagreement?

S

sandra

NOT IF YOU LIVE HERE AND YOU SEE , DAILY WHAT THE ALL INCLUSIVE HOTELS HAVE DONE TO ....WHAT WAS A REALLY NICE TOWN

D

Doug

I understand what the all-inclusives have done to the small business person, I have friends who own bars and rest. down in the DR, and I know all about the all-inclusive vacationer who goes down to the DR with 13 dollars in thier pocket, and comes home with 7 dollars. I'm totally against that as well, and I'm aware of what it has done to these businesses. I stay at all-inclusives(only because I like the location of the Don Jaun, and I like the comfort of the Captains Club room, and the view we have with our morning coffee)but I would bet you could count the number of drinks that I have consumed there on one hand each time I am there. As for the food, we probably eat 35%of our meals at the all-inclusive, the rest we eat out. I like to be waited on, and eat what "I" feel like eating and at the time "I" feel like eating. We do not eat much there at all, not because of the quality either.....it's fine...and I'm not that picky, but we are hardly at the resort, and I would never consider "running back home" to get there on time, for my meal. I realize that this is not the most economical way to enjoy our vacation, but it is the way we wish to, and we are allowed to do as we wish while on vacation, and if that means wasteing money, so be it!

These owners of the businesses know the score though, and the all-inclusives did not pop up yesterday, they have been here, and will continue to be here for some time......so it's deal with it or get out of the business, but to cry to everyone about how someone else is wrecking your business.....I don't find that very productive! This may sound harsh, but it is the way it is!!!

R

Richard

In the last few years the all-inclusives have contributed to the death of many small businesses all over the world. Plastic sells and the people who patronize those places might just as well have been parachuted into any hot climate anywhere in the world. When visiting Scotland in October all inclusive packages, 16-17 days were being advertised for as little as 474.00 Sterling.An article I read an article gave the DR the dubious distiction as being the number 4 rated destination for Brits to suffer from Delhi belly. I wonder why? in Sosua Casa Marina even provides a bus to take their guests to Playa Sosua, which is all of a 5- 8 minute stroll. If the owners gave a darn about the future of Sosua one would think they would surely encourage tourists to get out of the resort and patronize local business. They don't. Many local business people invested in their business long before the arrival of these huge resorts, now they are stuck trying to make a living, fighting these big companies which is very sad. I only wish that tourists will leave these resorts and discover the real Dominican Republic.

D

Doug

Richard

I know what you have said is true, and I can't believe for the life of me why the resorts would'nt encourage the guests to go out for a look see....you'd think they would be considering the money they would save when the tourists go out and have a few drinks elsewhere,also when out they would probably have a quick bite to eat....therefore haveing to put out less food and going through less booze. I don't understand why the AI don't incourage this type of activity? Does anyone have a explanation? I know that they might be afraid of the tourist finding out that a Safari, or some Deep Sea fishing might be had for less outside the "gates" and the safety of the guests is almost guarenteed inside.....but does this outweigh the pluses or savings? Is there other angles....I'm sure that there is, I just have'nt put much thought into it!

B

Bill Cookfair

Re: Richard

Sorry, didn't mean to start a war. We like the AI, because if we're on vacation and don't feel like going out for food or drinks, we don't have to. We always go out shopping, and have drinks and food when we're there. We go to DR, mainly for the water and sun, which are beautiful. We have found the people just great. We first saw Sosua Bay on a day trip from Puerta Plata, when we spent the day on the beach, purchasing food, drinks and presents to take home. We really enjoyed the area, and had heard that the town was also very enjoyable. THAT'S why I asked if the Sosua Bay Club was open. If it is, it appears to be the closest to the beach, which is what we're looking for. Whew. We live in Buffalo, NY and that is enough reason to visit DR in Feb.

R

Richard

With all due respect. Why don't you try staying at somewhere other than an all-inclusive? You may find you actually learn more about the Domiican Republic and the wonderful Dominicans who treat us like family when we visit.

T

Tor

I don't judge people who want to go to an all inclusive. Just stay away from Sosua, which still is a small living town.
I know for a fact that the all inclusives in Sosua dont match the all inclusives at playa dorada and the Riu hotels.
If you want to go to Sosua choose a regular hotel !

B

Bux_dutch

Bill, we go for the same reason to the DR as you (water, sun and people) but you don't see us at an AI. We also do not have to out for food and drinks if we don't want to, most hotels have a bar and restaurant.
There are more beautiful hotels directly at a beach or at just a few minutes walking distances.
So why an AI????????
Rob

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: All Inclusive vs. Small Hotels

You are so right, Doug. I did the same for my first 35 or so visits to the DR. Your schedule is ALWAYS your own, AI or not. You can go out and meet the local people, or not. Your option. Big properties just provide additional options.

This is an old topic that pops up every now and then.

See http://dr1.com/2001/index.cgi?read=49602 or click on the link below.