ITF safety warning over Dominican ATC

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Posted on 02/09/2015 - 12:02

Air traffic control in the Dominican Republic is approaching crisis point, according to the International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF).

The ITF also claims that attempts made by the Dominican Air Traffic Controllers Association (ADCA) to address reported safety issues (including a total communications failure at Punta Cana) were met with sackings, demotions and arrests.

The ITF’s civil aviation secretary, Gabriel Mocho Rodriguez, said: “The Dominican Republic’s government appears to be hell-bent on breaking the ADCA, and silencing its warnings about deteriorating safety.”

Rodoriguz claimed the ADCA has warned the authorities about incidents including:

• a total communications failure in Punta Cana, with controllers coordinating by mobile phone;

• unserviceable navigation aids at La Isabela International Airport, forcing pilots to complete all approaches visually;

• the distance measuring equipment at El Catey Presidente Juan Bosch Airport going out of service; and

• the control tower at Puerto Plata Gregorio Luperon International Airport working with only an emergency radio for over a year, and suffering frequent communications failures.

- See more at: ITF safety warning over Dominican ATC | MRO Network

http://www.7dias.com.do/el-pais/201...ro-espacio-aereo-dominicano.html#.VNm6QPnF9yM

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Posted on 02/09/2015 - 12:02

Air traffic control in the Dominican Republic is approaching crisis point, according to the International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF).

The ITF also claims that attempts made by the Dominican Air Traffic Controllers Association (ADCA) to address reported safety issues (including a total communications failure at Punta Cana) were met with sackings, demotions and arrests.

The ITF’s civil aviation secretary, Gabriel Mocho Rodriguez, said: “The Dominican Republic’s government appears to be hell-bent on breaking the ADCA, and silencing its warnings about deteriorating safety.”

Rodoriguz claimed the ADCA has warned the authorities about incidents including:

• a total communications failure in Punta Cana, with controllers coordinating by mobile phone;

• unserviceable navigation aids at La Isabela International Airport, forcing pilots to complete all approaches visually;

• the distance measuring equipment at El Catey Presidente Juan Bosch Airport going out of service; and

• the control tower at Puerto Plata Gregorio Luperon International Airport working with only an emergency radio for over a year, and suffering frequent communications failures.

- See more at: ITF safety warning over Dominican ATC | MRO Network

Denuncian deficiencias aeropuertos ponen en peligro espacio a?reo dominicano - Peri?dico Digital Dominicano - 7d?as.com.do

That is comforting for the large number of tourists flying in and out of the DR everyday? I would think though that if there were major safety issues US based airlines would express some concerns. I have not heard any?

Jan 9, 2004
That is comforting for the large number of tourists flying in and out of the DR everyday? I would think though that if there were major safety issues US based airlines would express some concerns. I have not heard any?

That's probably because this seems more to do with a Union/Management dispute than safety.

Looks like it has been ongoing for some time now;

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...rol-can-lead-to-aviation-disaster-union-warns

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...raffic-controllers-world-group-tells-the-govt

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I hope they don't point the finger directly at the controllers. They do a fabulous job coordinating quite a large amount of traffic, not just for the DR, but all the flights transiting overhead. Considering what the have to work with. Their equipment is antiquated to say the least. I've been up the tower at POP and it looks like something from the sixties!

Let's hope the government will invest in some updated kit for these guys. A weather radar would be nice too!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am nervous every time I fly in one of those filthy American Airlines planes. If they are not good at cleaning the planes it makes me wonder what else they are not good at doing. I am an excellent swimmer so if its me I hope we go down in the ocean not too far from shore.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I am nervous every time I fly in one of those filthy American Airlines planes. If they are not good at cleaning the planes it makes me wonder what else they are not good at doing. I am an excellent swimmer so if its me I hope we go down in the ocean not too far from shore.

odds are against you anyway. for an airplane impact into the water is not much different than impact into cement. just few days ago there was an anniversary of a plane crash in POP. they went down into the ocean. did not help. all died.
Birgenair Flight 301 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia