Going to Puerto Plata in 2002?

H

HG

Anyone going around or in Puerto Plata soon? I'm going on Jan 6th with my family and I can't wait. Anyone have any suggestions on activities? Things to see/do?

B

Bob Morris

We have been there 4 times already and are booked for Feb. 13 - 28, 2002.

If you are agile enough there are things called "Jeep Safaris" which take you into the interior a bit and see a lot of local colour and meet with locals.

We took a bus trip to Samana. Just to see a different part of the country, and if the timing is right maybe get in some whale watching.

You didn't mention where you were staying but if it is at one of the all-inclusives at Playa Dorada by all means take the tour of the Puerto Plata and Sosua which is on offer.

We never did go, partly because my wife is not happy with heights (unless she's in an airplane) and partly because it was broken until about this time last year, but you may enjoy the ride up the mountain - and for the lfe of me I can't remember the name of the apparatus at this moment.

Also you should probably try to take the tour of Santo Domingo. It's an all day excursion - and by all means stick close to your guide. There are many interesting things to see in SD.

There are probably more that you will find when you get there.

Enjoy

G

George

Take a trip east on the north coast to Sosua and Cabarete. There is so much to see and do. You can find all kinds of info on sosua.com or ecabarete.com and if you like to travel to see Samana you can look over samana.net.
Have a great trip and a happy New Year.
George.

R

RJ

The name of the apparatus to get to the top of the mountain is Teleferico.

I used to get it mixed up also. It's best to go up early on a bright sunny morning as there is often a cloud up at the top later in the day.

Santiago is also a good day trip. Sol is the name of the shopping avenue. Then up to the monument for a panoramic view of the city. Then take in a Dominican league baseball game.

The Caribe bus's that connect the whole island are safe and comfortable, an excellent value.