cp-pp-01-10 6 a?os 30,000.00
cp-pp-01-11 7 a?os 40,000.00
cp-pp-01-12 8 a?os 50,000.00
cp-pp-01-13 9 a?os 60,000.00
cp-pp-01-14 10 anos 70,000

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The tourist card is good for 30 days and we are not sure if it can be renewed for another 30. I will research this further when I get home and have a proper computer.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I called the Dominican Embassy in Ottawa 613-569-9893. This is what I was told. Yes the tourist card can be renewed for another 30 days only, but they are not sure on the cost. The lady I spoke with said the cost of renewal might be the same as 2500 pesos you will pay in overstay fees.

Her words not mine "not worth going all the way to SD when you are going to have to pay the same when leaving".

There is no way around the 2500 pesos for overstaying up to 3 months so relax enjoy your winter vacation.

This is what I figured when I posted whilst in the DR on the 29th day of my vacation. I'm glad I didn't try to renew for another 30 days when so many things were unclear.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I called the Dominican Embassy in Ottawa 613-569-9893. This is what I was told. Yes the tourist card can be renewed for another 30 days only, but they are not sure on the cost. The lady I spoke with said the cost of renewal might be the same as 2500 pesos you will pay in overstay fees.

Her words not mine "not worth going all the way to SD when you are going to have to pay the same when leaving".

There is no way around the 2500 pesos for overstaying up to 3 months so relax enjoy your winter vacation.

This is what I figured when I posted whilst in the DR on the 29th day of my vacation. I'm glad I didn't try to renew for another 30 days when so many things were unclear.

This once again shows that there is no clear line. One governmental department does not know what the other does.
The best option for snowbirds is to overstay and pay the fees listed by you and Migracion, which are still in effect.
If or when changes happen we will find out from the D.R. GOV.
Those that want to be permanent residents or work, they will have to work out their own strategy.

DIRECCION GENERAL DE MIGRACION
RESUMEN DE TARIFAS SERVICIOS MIGRATORIOS
PRORROGA UNICA DE PERMANENCIA (ESTADIA)
ARTICULO 6.- Se establecen las siguientes tarifas para servicios relativos al control
migratorio de extranjeros en territorio dominicano:

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Hope this helps make the times and pricing a bit more clear:

Overstay Fees

TimeCost
1 day to 3 monthsRD$2,500.00
3 to 9 monthsRD$4,000.00
9 to 12 monthsRD$5,000.00
12 to 18 monthsRD$6,500.00
18 to 24 monthsRD$8,000.00
24 to 30 monthsRD$9,500.00
30 to 36 monthsRD$11,000.00
36 to 48 monthsRD$16,000.00
48 to 60 monthsRD$20,000.00
6 yearsRD$30,000.00
7 yearsRD$40,000.00
8 yearsRD$50,000.00
9 yearsRD$60,000.00
10 yearsRD$70,000.00

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Some interesting news to share. I mentioned in another thread that when I got home I noticed that my passport wasn't stamped " salida" when I left in March and no receipt for the 2500 pesos I paid. Today I was chatting with another Canadian that returned last Friday. She told me that they were taken to another part of La Romana airport to pay the fee. They asked for a receipt for 5000 pesos she and her husband had just paid and were told that no receipt would be given and the fellow that took the money put it in his pocket. I asked her to check the passports and surprise surprise neither passport was stamped. She checked with another couple who left from the Punta Cana airport and they confirmed that they were given a receipt and passports were stamped. BTW they have been going to LR for years and this is the first time that immigration would not issue a receipt.

I'm beginning to think the ladrons in La Romana are pocketing the money. So when we go back next winter we have to be extra careful that our passports are stamped on arrival or they might say we've been there over a year.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Some interesting news to share. I mentioned in another thread that when I got home I noticed that my passport wasn't stamped " salida" when I left in March and no receipt for the 2500 pesos I paid. Today I was chatting with another Canadian that returned last Friday. She told me that they were taken to another part of La Romana airport to pay the fee. They asked for a receipt for 5000 pesos she and her husband had just paid and were told that no receipt would be given and the fellow that took the money put it in his pocket. I asked her to check the passports and surprise surprise neither passport was stamped. She checked with another couple who left from the Punta Cana airport and they confirmed that they were given a receipt and passports were stamped. BTW they have been going to LR for years and this is the first time that immigration would not issue a receipt.

I'm beginning to think the ladrons in La Romana are pocketing the money. So when we go back next winter we have to be extra careful that our passports are stamped on arrival or they might say we've been there over a year.

This is quite common and happens in all the airports-they pocket the money and hence why no receipt. However, it usually works in your favor as you can haggle the price down.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This is quite common and happens in all the airports-they pocket the money and hence why no receipt. However, it usually works in your favor as you can haggle the price down.

I didn't think that was possible with this new rule.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

I certainly believe they took their money but I find it hard to believe the guy put the money in his pocket.....He sure would do that when they're gone, but in front of them??? I doubt it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
iBELIEVE he would not only "Take It" in front of them, but take them to an airport bar and let them watch him drink it up!!!!

When I slip money into my passport at immigration, so I save money on the exit fine, they put the money in their pocket in front of me.

Why not??????????????
Senator "Bautista" would, and so would "Leonel"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I certainly believe they took their money but I find it hard to believe the guy put the money in his pocket.....He sure would do that when they're gone, but in front of them??? I doubt it.

I wasn't there so can't say but that doesn't bother me as much as the fact that they did not stamp the passports on the way out. That means we need to be extra vigilant on the way in next winter. I thought it was just a mistake on mine.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Just when I started to relly think that imagrathion was changing and want to become a resident.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I well gladly pay the fine I am very happy with this system helll I well buy the beer for the man and poor it for him and pay the fine . Just let me come and live in the place
I want to be in.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just when I started to relly think that imagrathion was changing and want to become a resident.

DON'T FRET, YOU WILL BE DEAD SOON!
From worrying about the never to be implemented "New Immigration Laws"!!!!!!

There are plenty of "EASY DOMINICANAS" living in the USA, GET ONE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They might even speak English!!!!

"Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah"!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Here is what I experienced. Late March I returned home via PUJ. I knew my overstay would be RD4000. When I approached the women in the customs window I had RD1000 tucked inside my passport. I explained to her it was a propina for her as I respected her job very much. I also in the same breath explained that the exit fee had increased while I was in the Country during the 4 months. She said yes it's 4mil now you have been here for 4 months. I said OK but I will need a receipt and IM TIRED, followed by please keep the PROPINA.. She then said, you need a receipt for the 4mil? I said yes I will need. And then she said the 1mil is for me? I said yes. She then stamped my passport and I walked through. I saved 3mil. It was a great experience I was fully prepared to pay, and I think she didn't want the hassle of walking me over to the desk that issues the receipts, it's a separate customs window. Yeah baby! If I hadn't read DR1 ahead of time I never would have even known to try.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Of course it makes sense to be in the country legally. There are so many ways that being here without status can be so much worse if one get's themselves into a sticky wicket. All this has been covered before. Big changes are coming post June 16 2015. It will not be as easy or a cheap as it is today to remain here longer than allowed.

Ask yourself the same question using your own country as the subject...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here is what I experienced. Late March I returned home via PUJ. I knew my overstay would be RD4000. When I approached the women in the customs window I had RD1000 tucked inside my passport. I explained to her it was a propina for her as I respected her job very much. I also in the same breath explained that the exit fee had increased while I was in the Country during the 4 months. She said yes it's 4mil now you have been here for 4 months. I said OK but I will need a receipt and IM TIRED, followed by please keep the PROPINA.. She then said, you need a receipt for the 4mil? I said yes I will need. And then she said the 1mil is for me? I said yes. She then stamped my passport and I walked through. I saved 3mil. It was a great experience I was fully prepared to pay, and I think she didn't want the hassle of walking me over to the desk that issues the receipts, it's a separate customs window. Yeah baby! If I hadn't read DR1 ahead of time I never would have even known to try.

Did they stamp your passport with the salida stamp? :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The lengths that some Gringos will go to beat the system...and we talk about the dishonesty of the locals!

Let's see if I've got this straight. Some don't wish to become residents despite spending many months here every year, because it's too expensive, often praising the fairness of the exit fee system. Then when it comes time to make use of that favored system, they find a way to cheat it to the tune of $75. To make it even worse if that's possible, to brag about their dishonesty on a public forum - saying not only, "hey look at me, I'm not only a dishonest hypocrite" but "I'm a cheapskate crook to boot".

Some claim that paying the cops is bad but bribing the passport people at the airport is good? No wonder the locals feel they can walk all over us at every opportunity, apparently it's ok if we do the same to them.

A very sad commentary indeed.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago

Nothing to be proud of.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
The lengths that some Gringos will go to beat the system...and we talk about the dishonesty of the locals!

Let's see if I've got this straight. Some don't wish to become residents despite spending many months here every year, because it's too expensive, often praising the fairness of the exit fee system. Then when it comes time to make use of that favored system, they find a way to cheat it to the tune of $75. To make it even worse if that's possible, to brag about their dishonesty on a public forum - saying not only, "hey look at me, I'm not only a dishonest hypocrite" but "I'm a cheapskate crook to boot".

Some claim that paying the cops is bad but bribing the passport people at the airport is good? No wonder the locals feel they can walk all over us at every opportunity, apparently it's ok if we do the same to them.

A very sad commentary indeed.

Nice stretch buddy, I think you are reaching a bit there.

Perhaps you should return to writing your story nobody really cares about. Sheesh.