Length os annual stay to keep residency

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
How many months/days per year must a foreigner spend in the DR to keep his residency status?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not reading that right , am I Chef ?

just don't stay away for more than 6 months and you're still good....
stay as long as you want..... but don't leave for more than 6 months in a row

Better?

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I travel back and forth between Santo Domingo and New England, seldom staying longer than a couple weeks at a time in the D.R. I have never heard of any requirement of a minimum amount of time in country to maintain my residency. I just assumed that as long as you renewed at the proper time and paid the right fees to the right people, you were good to go. I'm on my second renewal now and don't recall anyone asking me how long I had been in the country. I do own property in Santo Domingo and am married to a Dominicana.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I'll second peeps post......
Never heard of a minimum required stay......

I'll be sure to come back on this thread to check though.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
if you are absent 6 months + a day..... you are in default

you cannot just 'renew' on time, as I understand it.....

Roll call . every 6 months

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I travel back and forth between Santo Domingo and New England, seldom staying longer than a couple weeks at a time in the D.R. I have never heard of any requirement of a minimum amount of time in country to maintain my residency. I just assumed that as long as you renewed at the proper time and paid the right fees to the right people, you were good to go. I'm on my second renewal now and don't recall anyone asking me how long I had been in the country. I do own property in Santo Domingo and am married to a Dominicana.

We have a saying in the USA, which is "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." The OP had a valid question and the answer is do not be absent for more than 6 months at a time or you could lose your residency.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Not according to the letter of the law. But we are talking about laws and the DR in the same sentence.

I have looked at a number of web sites and can only find info about obtaining the residency but no info about what you need to maintain it other than being law abiding. Where does one find the 6 month rule ?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have looked at a number of web sites and can only find info about obtaining the residency but no info about what you need to maintain it other than being law abiding. Where does one find the 6 month rule ?

The rule is contained in the General Migration Law.

ART?CULO 85.- Los Extranjeros que est?n en proceso de obtenci?n de una residencia
temporal o permanente en la Rep?blica Dominicana, podr?n obtener permiso de reentrada
cuando, estando en el pa?s, deban salir al extranjero por causa determinada, estando a?n su
expediente de solicitud de residencia en proceso para su expedici?n.
P?RRAFO.- Un Extranjero en proceso de expedici?n de residencia temporal o permanente no
podr? ausentarse del territorio nacional por per?odos superiores a seis (6) meses. Pasado este
tiempo, sin causa justificada, si el Extranjero regresare al pa?s, deber? reiniciar el procedimiento
de solicitud de residencia sometiendo toda la documentaci?n requerida al efecto y enunciado en
los art?culos relativos a la residencia.
ART?CULO 86.- De conformidad con lo dispuesto por el numeral 5 del art?culo 6 y el p?rrafo
del art?culo 79 de la Ley, para los fines de concesi?n de permiso de reentrada a Extranjeros o
extranjeras residentes temporales o residentes permanentes, que por necesidad se ausenten del
pa?s por un per?odo que sobrepase el t?rmino de la vigencia de su residencia, antes de su salida
del pa?s el Extranjero deber? someter una solicitud por escrito a la D.G.M. justificativa de las
causas que ocasionar?n su no ingreso en tiempo h?bil.
P?RRAFO.- En caso de solicitudes de pr?rroga de re-entrada hecha desde el extranjero a trav?s de Consulado o delegaci?n diplom?tica dominicana, previa verificaci?n de la pertinencia
de la solicitud, proceder? a tramitarla a la D.G.M., la cual decidir? lo que estime oportuno.

Basically it says that while in process of getting temporary or permanent residency you cannot leave for more than 6 months. If you are going to be away at the time your residency should be renewed you can go to the Migration Office and explain why you won't be around to renew it. If they apply the letter of the law and you are away for more than 6 months you have to go back to the beginning. The general rule is that you need to renew your temporary residency 4 times, ie have been living in the country for 5 years, before you can apply for permanent residency. What it doesn't explain well, unless I am missing something, is that when you have your 4 years permanent residency you can leave for more than 6 months.

Matilda

malko

Jan 12, 2013
The way, I understand it, and was explained at DGM at santiago ( but to be taken with a pinch of salt, even though they are very nice and helpful, they gave me some wrong information......), while u are waiting for ure residency u canmot leave the country for 6 months( presumably the maximum time it takes to go through the process ).
But once u have residency, u do whatever u want, up to u to renew on time ( or pay the fine......).

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Man, I seam to be fuucked at every turn. I can't stay 6 months
I am already looking at trying to find a little place to stor all my things I so fulishley bought and shiped over.
If thy do away with the over stay fine my RD dreams are over and all my things must go I can not continue to pay to keep a pipe dream.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
As I understand it's almost in every country, if you leave the country for more than 6 month you are not considered a resident of this country. Kind of makes sense, you are a resident in a country where you spend most of the time during a year ?!?!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The way, I understand it, and was explained at DGM at santiago ( but to be taken with a pinch of salt, even though they are very nice and helpful, they gave me some wrong information......), while u are waiting for ure residency u canmot leave the country for 6 months( presumably the maximum time it takes to go through the process ).
But once u have residency, u do whatever u want, up r to u to renew on time ( or pay the fine......).

Matilda posted what is the law. If you are out of the country for longer than 6 months you can lose your residency and need to start over. "could" is the operative word here. And it is similar in many countries. If you are a resident and don't live there, are you really a resident?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I was only concidering residents to be come leagle because there going to take away the overstay fines. Not that I was going to live there full time
at this point in my life.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
SOunds logical, but what country ever makes laws that are logical?

Whats even funnier is when the DR tries to emulate policy or regulations of a civilized country while in reality its essentially a lawless state where the culpability factor is completely absent-unless your the gringo on the **** end of s stick! Do what we say not what we do!

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Matilda posted what is the law. If you are out of the country for longer than 6 months you can lose your residency and need to start over. "could" is the operative word here. And it is similar in many countries. If you are a resident and don't live there, are you really a resident?

I am not fluent in spanish, but....... the law posted above seems to say in process of obtaining...... and nothing more.
And up to u to either be here to remew OR give a good excuse to renew before u leave......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Question...

how long does it take after initiating the process in the home country and arriving here to get the temporary residency ?

all paperwork ready , you arrive and go to SD to file ----- how many weeks/months before you get the card?

Gringo.... you must know this one ?

I think the 6 month is overstated.... what does it really take, given proper paperwork ?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Question...

how long does it take after initiating the process in the home country and arriving here to get the temporary residency ?

all paperwork ready , you arrive and go to SD to file ----- how many weeks/months before you get the card?

Gringo.... you must know this one ?

I think the 6 month is overstated.... what does it really take, given proper paperwork ?

Once you have all the necessary documents properly translated with the legal international stamp and your medical tests done then your lawyer submits these to begin the residency process. It may take a month or more for your attorney to receive the approval that the documents submitted were complete and accepted. From that point it could take 6-12 months for final approval to complete your first temporary residency. You may be out of the country and will need to return to complete the temporary residency and get your cedula. I believe there is a time restraint for you and your attorney to complete this last step and if you are out of the country this will not be completed and you may to forced to resubmit again. Also your documents have to be current and if you delay the process those documents may end up being worthless because of their date. If you are going to complete the temporary residency process realistically you need to be in the DR or ready to return upon notification from your attorney that your first temporary residency is ready to be completed.