Getting friends from Punta Cana to Sosua with rental Car

mudman24

Jan 8, 2014
Hello

We have friends who are flying into Punta Cana and driving to see us in Sosua. I have never driven to Punta so what is the name of the nice new toll roads I have heard about? thanks for your help.

Jan 17, 2009
They have to take the highway towards Santo Domingo and by Las Americas take the toll road to Samana. When the highway ends (right on route 5) make a left and continue to Cabarete. Let them know not to do drive it at night !!

Also, I don't know if we're totally stupid or what but the entrance to the highway towards Samana is not easy to find. We missed it a couple of times.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The turn off is just past the toll booth on the our skirts of SD. This is the toll booth you do not pay at as it is for out going only. The turn is a left side exit that is poorly marked. I have driven it both night and day and have never had a problem. Have them buy a current road map and they should be ok
Good luck.

mudman24

Jan 8, 2014
Thanks for the info. They will be driving up first thing in the morning. Bringing a local map is a good idea as well. One of them speaks Spanish very well if they have to ask for help.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
The turn off is just past the toll booth on the our skirts of SD. This is the toll booth you do not pay at as it is for out going only. The turn is a left side exit that is poorly marked. I have driven it both night and day and have never had a problem. Have them buy a current road map and they should be ok
Good luck.

Damn, that exit eluded me 5 out of 5 times. Exit On left, at bottom of ramp turn right at T turn left???

mudman24

Jan 8, 2014
I find it approximately half the time. Otherwise I head on up thru Santiago. Same amount of time and no tolls.

I was worried about him missing the exit as well. Is is not advisable to get off of Hwy 3 while bypassing San Pedro de Marcos onto Hwy (Car Mella) and taking that until it connects with the toll road. Unless there is something I'm missing. Thanks

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
If you blink

Good luck.

If you are coming from the east on Las Americas the turn off to Av Los Palmeros (the parallel road to Las Americas) is on the right after you arrive to the toll plaza area, about 200-300 meters beyond the booths. If you blink you miss it, the signage is very poor. More money is spent on huge political campaign signage you can't miss.
Los Palmeros brings you to the entrance of the Autopista del Nordeste to head to the north coast. Even for the seasoned driver in the DR access to the road, Los Palmeros, is difficult.

The country spends millions on new roads yet does not have the common sense to create signage on approaches to important intersections to direct traffic. The again, signs are destroyed, stolen, or hidden by overgrowth. Welcome to the DR.

Regards,

PJT

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
They have to take the highway towards Santo Domingo and by Las Americas take the toll road to Samana. When the highway ends (right on route 5) make a left and continue to Cabarete. Let them know not to do drive it at night !!

Also, I don't know if we're totally stupid or what but the entrance to the highway towards Samana is not easy to find. We missed it a couple of times.

No you was not stupid, that happend also to Dominicans, the easy way to get Samana road is inmediatly after you pass by the toll took the marginal street in Las Americas as if you were going to the Quality Hotel and for sure you wont miss it.