Observation from the Frontier: Merengue tipico

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Will be having some friends visiting the Frontier in the near future and want to start off their visit in Santo Domingo. They are researchers of " original " Latin American music and I am wondering if there are any venues in the Capital that feature " merengue tipico " on a regular basis. The type of music played by Francisco Ulloa, Fefita la Grande or Rafaelito Roman featuring the guira, double headed tambora and guitar. Could even go for later versions which added the accordion.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Will be having some friends visiting the Frontier in the near future and want to start off their visit in Santo Domingo. They are researchers of " original " Latin American music and I am wondering if there are any venues in the Capital that feature " merengue tipico " on a regular basis. The type of music played by Francisco Ulloa, Fefita la Grande or Rafaelito Roman featuring the guira, double headed tambora and guitar. Could even go for later versions which added the accordion.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Sadly no, this is only brought out for special occasions, festivals etc. I dought highly there are places in the capital that feature this on a regular basis. Perhaps I am wrong.