For anyone currently in the DR

A

Al

Can you tell me what the current exchange rate is for $1.00 US?
I looked at several currency converters on the web and got from a low of RD15.3 to a high of RD17.2.

Can someone please tell me the correct rate. (No guesses please)

G

GringoCarlos

The Official exchange rate from Banco Central is now 16.97 - they raised this rate from the prior official rate of 16.66 this month.

The rate I received in my cambio for US cash this week was 17.05.

Bancredito sells pesos for US dollars for 16.80.

Most tourist hotels or all-inclusives will give you about 16.30.

Buena suerte.

D

Drake

As GringoCarlos stated there are three exchange rates in the DR. The Central bank rate which is announced every Tuesday in Listin Diario. The commercial bank rate. Each bank sets it's own rate but this is dominated by some of the larger banks especially Banco Popular. There is then the out of bank rate which is usually the best rate. Included in this are remittance companies like Western Union and foreign exchange bureaus to the guy on the corner.

A

Al

Thanks everyone. One more question....

Would I get a better rate at the airport or a cambio in SD?

A

a_andy

Special tip

I have been told that the best rate of all is at an office of Caribe Tours. The person who told me that had patronized the one in Mao.

I think he said that he got 17.05 a couple of weeks ago.

D

Doug

Cambio

I find the best rates to be had (that are reputable)to be Western Union, they are very close to the best rates anywhere, and if you are changing less than one Thousand US the difference is very minimal. Forget about the Airports....this has been my experience anyways!

H

hillbilly

AIRPORTS???? never!! Horrors!!....

Go to any Casa de Cambio, they are all legal and will give you a receipt. Right now you have to get a tad over 17 if selling dollars and 17.15 if you are buying, Anything much less and you are getting ripped off. Stay away from hotels or Banks for exchanging. If you can find a Banco de Santa Cruz you will get the better deal. Especially if in Santiago.

HB

L

Loren

I change it on the streets...

I went to the airport bank teller, Banco de Reservas, and those clowns gave me COUNTERFEIT loot! Stay away from those ladrones. The payasos on the street corner are better, just find a scrawny one so you can kick his arse if necessary.

J

John

WRONG Loren

the ladrones are those guys who change money in the streets.
they will give you a better rate (let say 18:1), but count your money after you leave him, and we will talk later.

R

Richard

Re: WRONG Loren

I certainly agree. If someone offers an unbelievable rate be very careful fast hands can make short change

A

a_andy

Caribe Tours pays 17.00 right now ...

If anyone knows a better place, WITH THE MONEY GUARANTEED to be good, please let us all know.

H

hillbilly

STREETS? no!!! Banks? NO!! Where?

There are many Exchange banks now operating under government Central Bank guarantees.
For me, the best has been Agente de Cambio Santa Cruz, an appendix of Banco de Santa Cruz. They always give the best rates and excellent service. They will write checks in dollars for you to pay bills in the States or elsewhere.

The exchange banks operate on slimmer margins than the commercial banks, so this is why you get a slightly better rate.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER CHANGE MONEY ON THE STREETS.....UNLESS YOU WIN AT THREE CARD MONTE??

HB

A

a_andy

Re: Hillbilly - "pay bills in the States" ?

What do you mean?

Do they have a way to get the check past the myriad of ladrones and delivered to the Stateside payee - electronically, perhaps?

It would be huge if they could do this? Please explain.

Thanks.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Loren can handle those tigueres...

Hey guys, dont underestimate Loren, he can handle those guys.Did it occur to you he might be short changing them in the count? Loren is already loading up on "Argentinos", the latest junk money craze. Loren used to win at Times Square with the card shufflers.hehehehe!!!