SDQ Airport to Bayahibe - Cheapest option

teasers

Feb 18, 2015
Hello,

In April I must travel from SDQ Airport to Bayahibe, and I need the cheapest option. I am reading forum for more than 20 minutes, there are lots of recommendations but I am still confused. So, any help will be appreciated, I will write what I need:

- I will never take a taxi. I read some people wrote: You can take a taxi for $100-120, but you will spend the rest of the day on the beach, putting also a smiley after this. Guys, of course I know how to spend the day on the beach. But there are people on this earth who pass a whole month with $120 or even less. I will not take this taxi for this price even if I die. No one must! This is crazy money!

- My question is: If I take a motoconcho to the main road, I think this motoconcho will drop me at the most close bus stop, yes? Who will stop there in La Romana direction? Only guaguas? or, also some big coaches? and where they will be heading?

For example, will a bus to Higuey stop there, so I can get off around La Romana and continue with a guagua to Bayahibe?

..or.. If a guagua stops, this guagua will go to La Romana (slow and it will stop at lots of locations, but it will go), or, I must go to nearest city like Boca Chica, and take another guagua from there?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yeah, there are certainly people on the earth who spend less than $120 a month.. Congratulations, though, on finding a place in Bayahibe for less than that.

Most of them do not fly to Caribbean for a holiday

I have actually never seen a concho at the airport. It is not really so far to walk to the highway from the airport, just make sure that you are on the EASTBOUND side of the road.

There are really not organized "bus stops" as much as "flag downs".. I would think,, along the highway. So you go there are wait for a gua gua to pass/. The big busses, Caribe Tours, for instance, will not just stop on the side of the road.

The gua gua will let you off on the road wherever you say... but you will probably have to walk into Bayahibe from there.

good luck with that...

teasers

Feb 18, 2015
Oh, no.. I am coming from T&C with InterCaribbean, so the options are SDQ or Santiago (Puerto Plata far, and the date they fly doesn't fit).
:-(

teasers

Feb 18, 2015
About gua guas.. Will 'any gua gua I take' go to La Romana, or do I have to ask? I guess some of them will go, some of them will not, yes? Because this is around 100 kilometers. I think some gua guas will work let's say, between Santo Domingo-Boca Chica, some of them longer.. Any help with this? :) Thank you..

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Expresso la romana

About gua guas.. Will 'any gua gua I take' go to La Romana, or do I have to ask? I guess some of them will go, some of them will not, yes? Because this is around 100 kilometers. I think some gua guas will work let's say, between Santo Domingo-Boca Chica, some of them longer.. Any help with this? :) Thank you..

With no luggage you could probably walk to the main highway from the airport. If not, go upstairs at the departure area; in the very back there is a guagua publico that will take you for less than 50pesos if I remeber correctly.

Once on La Americas, just flag any of the buses that say la Romana and they'll stop for you(SICHOEM). Some may go through Juan Dolio and San Pedro 175 pesos. The express will go directly to La Romana.

When you get to the main bus station in La Romana, outside is where the mini buses stop. You can ask from there. I've never had to go to Bayahibe by bus or taxi. There are also taxis in the Burger King parking lot next door. I've paid between 150 to 300 pesos to go to the La Romana city center depending on varying factors.

Hope this helps, good luck!

teasers

Feb 18, 2015
With no luggage you could probably walk to the main highway from the airport. If not, go upstairs at the departure area; in the very back there is a guagua publico that will take you for less than 50pesos if I remeber correctly.

Once on La Americas, just flag any of the buses that say la Romana and they'll stop for you(SICHOEM). Some may go through Juan Dolio and San Pedro 175 pesos. The express will go directly to La Romana.

When you get to the main bus station in La Romana, outside is where the mini buses stop. You can ask from there. I've never had to go to Bayahibe by bus or taxi. There are also taxis in the Burger King parking lot next door. I've paid between 150 to 300 pesos to go to the La Romana city center depending on varying factors.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Thank you very much! This helped a lot! :)

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Yes I have, it actually takes you all the way into Santo Domingo. I returned a rental and was headed back to La Romana (no luggage). But I normally just flag a taxi upstairs to the main road when flying in with luggage.
That's the guagua most of the airport employees use. Those that don't have company transportation.

teasers

Feb 18, 2015
Yes I have, it actually takes you all the way into Santo Domingo. I returned a rental and was headed back to La Romana (no luggage). But I normally just flag a taxi upstairs to the main road when flying in with luggage.
That's the guagua most of the airport employees use. Those that don't have company transportation.

Perfect news!
Because my logic also says: not only rich tourists are living on this island.. very good example.. people working at the airport.. there must be lots of people who will use a service like this..

teasers

Feb 18, 2015
.. and about the price.. 175 pesos from SDQ to La Romana is very good price.. even if they charge x2 because of luggage, this is affordable.. any guess how much time does it take to la Romana from SDQ using those guaguas? More than 2 hours?

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Perfect news!
Because my logic also says: not only rich tourists are living on this island.. very good example.. people working at the airport.. there must be lots of people who will use a service like this..

The downside is: you'll have to wait until it's full. Depending on the time you fly into Santo Domingo, you maybe better off haggling a deal with a passing taxi upstairs to the highway, I've paid as low as a 100 and as high as 250. It all depends on the price of gas, time of day, level of Spanish, your look etc....

By the way, I don't recoomend anyone walking or haggling with a gipsy cab out of the airport after hours.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
2 hours is about right. early in the day is faster, weekdays are faster. There is no fee for luggage. up to two suitcases.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
BTW like MR. Colon says, the DR is not cheap. I catch the guagua to La Romana because I have a car in storage there; and I don't trust ANYONE with the keys.

martes

Feb 15, 2015
I just walked out of the Airport and walked to the exit of the parking lot where all the cars pay the parking fee. I looked out for a pick-up and asked if he would take me to the main road, because I would like to catch a gua-gua.
He would have taken me to La Romana, because he was going there anyway, but I was going to Santo Domingo.
Once you are on the main road, just ask the people, I guess you speak spanish, which guagua or bus goes to la romana, they'll help you for sure.

Ikard

Feb 17, 2015
I'm a new gringo currently staying in Dominicus and I've had to go to US embassy just two days ago. I've taken only guagua and Sichoem to S.D. and back.

It's actually pretty easy, just walk or take a motoconcho to Autopista Las Americas (eastbound). Keep your eyes open and look for a Sichoem bus. They drive approximately every half an hour / hour.

Keep your fingers crossed that driver actually keeps his eyes on the road and not on his phone, so he can see you waving :)

I can't tell for sure if Sichoem Expresso will stop, but the regular Sichoem I took in S.D. stopped for everyone who waved from the road. That one goes to La Romana via San Pedro de Macoris, but it's just half an hour longer ride, so no worries about that.

Once you arrive in La Romana, just tell the driver you want to get off at Duarte central park. It's a few minute walk from park to the guagua stop. Check the link, so you can see where you need to go or just ask locals, everyone will know.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/dir/Duarte+Central+Park/18.4197336,-68.9634874/@18.4196118,-68.9639198,199m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!4m7!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x48c57a17f8126cb4!2m2!1d-68.966441!2d18.422831!1m0

Have fun!

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
The guagua from La Romana to Bayahibe leaves opposite the police station near Jumbo-Supermarket. The expressbus brings you right there, from the guaguas I don't know, but its just 5 min walk from central park. The bayahibe-guagua costs 55 pesos and leaves every half hour until about 8pm.
You can also leave any guagua on the main road intersection to La Romana, walk down and take a motoconcho or the Bayahibe-Guagua there.
Have a nice time in Bayahibe and kill some of the roosters for me.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
As you are a turist and is the first time you come here more easy way is to take a taxi from SDQ to La Romana bus station in Santo Domingo, a taxi cost arround 40.00 Dollars if Im not wrong, and the bus charge arround 190.00 Dominican Pesos, that is arround 4.00 dollars, Make sure to take an express bus so they wont stop untill they arrive to La Romana. Tell the driver that you are going to Bayahibe and they will drop you in the bus stop of Bayahibe en La Romana.

Also you can take a taxi from La Romana to Bayahibe but will cost you more money than take a public bus from La Romana to there.

Ikard

Feb 17, 2015
I've managed to grab a licensed taxi from the airport to Dominicus for 75$, but OP doesn't want a taxi.