setting my sites toward the deep blue sea

lotuseater

Feb 20, 2015
Hi all,

I am ready to wrap up a Middle East stint and get to a place where I can get my groove back. After this dusty, brown place, I'm thinking the blues and greens of island living will help me rehydrate.

For as laid back as all of that may sound, work is still a part of my reality. Any info on university ESL/ESF teaching jobs would be most welcomed.

And that's all I have to say about that!

Looking forward to being a part of this site.

LE

"It had always fascinated her - what happens when things break down, what are the basic units of life??
― Tatjana Soli, The Lotus Eaters

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you need to work to live here, I would not recommend moving here because of the very low salary you would earn.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
Great place to regroup and recuperate. From city to beach - the choice is yours. Come and enjoy but like others have said don't come if you need to work to live. Most of those doors have been closed.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
ESL salaries are extremely low, in the neighborhood of RD$300 per hour ($6-7 US). And you might prefer to set your sights, rather than your sites. Unless you're setting up things on the InterWeb.

lotuseater

Feb 20, 2015
There it is folks, the know-it-all grammarian knocked down with a well-aimed coconut to the head...quite an insightful first round in the ring!

lotuseater

Feb 20, 2015
Great place to regroup and recuperate. From city to beach - the choice is yours. Come and enjoy but like others have said don't come if you need to work to live. Most of those doors have been closed.

Do you mean that I will have to wait until a tenured university instructor is carried out feet first before I dare knock on those closed doors? Quite heartening! :knockedou

LE

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
There it is folks, the know-it-all grammarian knocked down with a well-aimed coconut to the head...quite an insightful first round in the ring!

Remain down for the count, don't try to get up before the bell has rung, and you may live to fight another bout.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do you mean that I will have to wait until a tenured university instructor is carried out feet first before I dare knock on those closed doors? Quite heartening! :knockedou

LE

You might indeed find a job. That job is likely to pay very little.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I'm sorry: I just find it relatively egregious that a would-be ESL teacher doesn't know the difference between "site" and "sight."

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi all,

I am ready to wrap up a Middle East stint and get to a place where I can get my groove back. After this dusty, brown place, I'm thinking the blues and greens of island living will help me rehydrate.

For as laid back as all of that may sound, work is still a part of my reality. Any info on university ESL/ESF teaching jobs would be most welcomed.

And that's all I have to say about that!

Looking forward to being a part of this site.

LE

"It had always fascinated her - what happens when things break down, what are the basic units of life??
― Tatjana Soli, The Lotus Eaters

You will receive a lot of negativity and some truth when you post info that sounds like you don't have a clue what living is like in the DR.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Dang, y'all. Lotus just got to the site, is saying hello, and you're slamming him already?

To the OP, welcome to DR1! Despite the minor hazing, you'll find there is a wealth of information on this site. It's best to do a little bit of research first, then ask specific questions. You're more likely to get better responses.

DR is a great, diverse and relatively inexpensive place to decompress. Hope you have a great time.