How can I stay in the DR indefinitely?

Can't go

Feb 22, 2015
Hi, I'd like to travel to the DR and stay for quite a while maybe 6 months to a year. I was wondering if anyone has some tips on th easiest, cheapest way to do this legally.

Thanks!

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Currently, should you decide to stay between 3 and 9 months it will cost you 4,000 peso's when you leave the country. Again I say currently, things are changing.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Hi, I'd like to travel to the DR and stay for quite a while maybe 6 months to a year. I was wondering if anyone has some tips on th easiest, cheapest way to do this legally.

Thanks!

Hear me now and believe me later.

Whatever hare-brained scheme you're contemplating, forget about it.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Hear me now and believe me later.

Whatever hare-brained scheme you're contemplating, forget about it.

What prompted that? Maybe it would be better to ask if the person will be working or a student or a missionary or a sex monger so we can direct him to an appropriate path to legally living here. OP what more can you out tell us so we can help you quickly.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks!

What's her name? Chances are there are several share holders on that DD.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
What prompted that? Maybe it would be better to ask if the person will be working or a student or a missionary or a sex monger so we can direct him to an appropriate path to legally living here. OP what more can you out tell us so we can help you quickly.

Relax, my fren. We are trying to help him.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Very good chance The OP will NEVER post again, or is a SOCK, take your pick!

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Well if you cannot go don't come here. Legal off the airplane permission is for 30 days. Some say it can be extended, but I don't believe we've ever heard of any one actually doing so. But there is an over stay fee when one is leaving which depends on how long you've been overstaying. Starts at just over $50.00 for 31 days and goes up after 3 months and again after 9 months. A full year means about $160.00 etc... But that is the way many of us have been living for a long time. I was told by a lady who does it that when crossing the border by car into Haiti the fee doesn't apply. I guess I'll be finding out in July. If I can cross and come back and start over my stay for free I'll tell everyone here at that time.
Der Fish

I like the sound of that -- drive over for a overnight and passport clock reset. Maybe they have some gringo hotels set up specifically for those trips?

Then again the border area is a little edgy right now so maybe I'll wait.

Sep 4, 2012
Marcion,

No offense but I take a chuckle everytime I see your name.....a quick misstyping and the meaning will change lol

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I don't get it (but I'm a little buzzed)

To put it as nicely as possible, "maricon" translates loosely into "sissy." Folk used to have fun with people who pronounced "American" as 'Murican, and...oh, I see it's been answered, lol.

To the OP, the answer really depends on what you want to do while you're here, and what your intended source of income will be (ie, savings, pension, overseas work, expectation to get a job in DR, etc). If you post again, provide that info, and you'll likely get better answers.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Walk up to any Spanish speaker and announce Yo soy Maricon and you may understand their joke. It used to be a joke on he streets of Miami. A Cubano would ask an American with their accent are you maricon, making it sound like asking oif he is American and one would say Yes I am American and the Cubanos would have a belly laugh!

Okay *pauses and lights a cigarette, tapping the ash as i slowly exhale*

Okay, I get it now.

I can come right through that computer screen, my fren, flinging myself into your livingroom and knocking over your best scented candles.

Don't test me.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
My Muppet friend "Columbo" tells me you are more than welcome to stay as long as they $ee fit. YES, THIS MEANS YOU!

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I'm pretty sure Derfish knows I'm kidding about knocking over his scented candles, Cristo.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Thanks!

Pay the fine when you leave. Simple and legal.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Well if you cannot go don't come here. Legal off the airplane permission is for 30 days. Some say it can be extended, but I don't believe we've ever heard of any one actually doing so. But there is an over stay fee when one is leaving which depends on how long you've been overstaying. Starts at just over $50.00 for 31 days and goes up after 3 months and again after 9 months. A full year means about $160.00 etc... But that is the way many of us have been living for a long time. I was told by a lady who does it that when crossing the border by car into Haiti the fee doesn't apply. I guess I'll be finding out in July. If I can cross and come back and start over my stay for free I'll tell everyone here at that time.
Der Fish

Are you driving on a foreign driver's license, with more than ninety days in the country also?