Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cable Cars Coming To Santo Domingo

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    yeah, there's people who are scared of riding teleferico in POP. i would so want it to break, get stuck and everyone to evacuate using ropes and ladders. cool adventure if i ever saw one.
    fantasy

your hoping for a breakdown ????

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chic View Post
    and it was shut down years ago for along time.....anyone kno how long it was "out of service"
    it is shut every year for maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by chic View Post
    your hoping for a breakdown ????
    totally, with me on board. what an adventure that would be.

North Coast Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

the idea of this cable car is good. there is no relief to SD transit other than take it under ground, over ground or getting rid of all transport sindicos. we know the third will never happen so...

the main problem is, of course, power and maintenance. recent fcukups on the second line of metro show that the services in SD leave much to be desired. in addition, even the overhear rail will need ground room. those supporting pillars cannot be in the middle of the road. much like pillars supporting overground parts of the metro they would require elevated space on the street leaving less room for cars, ultimately.

in any case, i'd love to see that thingy happen.

North Coast Moderator

4. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    He's talking about the time it was closed down for an extended period of time. It was a long time ago, and I think it had something to do with having to replace the cables.
    Just guessing, I seem to remember that back in the late 80's maybe?
    interesting. i would not know that far back but i will try to ask around. it was opened in 1975 so maybe it was some technological upgrade?

North Coast Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

maybe he is talking about 2011 following a "report" from nuria regarding bad state of the cables. they closed for few weeks then. a month?

North Coast Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

ministerio de turismo has been responsible for it for a decade or so. it is possible, now i think of it, that at some point teleferico was in a bad shape. but right now it is receiving over 100k people a year and i expect many cruceristas to do this trip too (close, short, cheap).

North Coast Moderator

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a photo that they are proposing 3 lines will be built to connect to the L1 & L2 Metro.

Direct PDF Link explains about the project:

https://app.box.com/s/j2hayp4hoynqhab4fspvsiyuglhuge00

(Its in spanish though)
    Last edited by MiamiDRGuy; 09-07-2015 at 09:41 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

No. etapas is stages so they are building the one line, which will be 5 kilometres long in three stages and although there is no map in the link, I have followed the proposed route as best I can. It starts on Charles de Gaulle just east of the rio Ozama and then crosses the river which has a large valley there into sabana perdida ..what names we have !!! and then goes down to tres brazos and then finally links up to metro 2 just west of the rio ozama . I wonder if much of the line will be above the green lands on each side of the river ..looks that way and that explains why there are only a few stations .

Post Thanks / Like

laura needs to wear flat shoes and walk a bit.

North Coast Moderator

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cable Cars

Quote Originally Posted by curlando View Post
    I visualize Dominicans spilling out the cable cars as they go by. I can see arms, legs and etc. hanging out these cars.
    To tell truth; I don't think cable cars will work in an over crowded city with public cars and motorconchos.

Good luck with the project.
    They work, but the rationale of the Colombian population is grossly different than the Dominican counterpart.
    Arms, legs, and torsos don't hang out of public transportation in Medellin.
    The people in general are more gentrified than in the DR. You may not like to hear this, but it's the truth.
    Besides, the ladies are much classier also. Lots of eye candy. No cities like Sosua full of low class ugly whores.

I have a place in Medellin, and everyday life is a different story there. I considered the DR, but I'll rent when I come.
    All considered, I feel I made the best decision.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast