Cable Cars Coming To Santo Domingo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cable cars as in trams, like in san francisco? usual feat in polish cities and works very well in traffic for two main reasons. one, the tracks are mostly separated from the rest of the road, usually by a fence, a curb or some greenery. two, where the tracks run along the roads in the middle of the traffic the drivers normally respect the god damn law and give way to trams without blocking the tracks. unfortunately, the attitude of dominican drivers would make point two impossible and creating separate sections for trams within existing road structure will make traffic even worse.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
I visualize Dominicans spilling out the cable cars as they go by. I can see arms, legs and etc. hanging out these cars.
To tell truth; I don't think cable cars will work in an over crowded city with public cars and motorconchos.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here is an original article: El Caribe ? Telef?rico en Santo Domingo movilizar? a 3,000 pasajeros por hora

JD, you mean something like this?

97v7z7.jpg

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I did not know it was overhead cars. Ugly as hell but it would work better than street level cars. They better maintain them....hate to see them dropping from the sky.

May 12, 2005
Yes, that is what I understand it to be. The article mentions 160 cabins (cable cars) which would be indicative of that type of system.

In Colombia, the buses, subway and cable cars use the same Metro card for payment.

If I understood the article they would be used for crossing the Ozama.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I did not know it was overhead cars. Ugly as hell but it would work better than street level cars. They better maintain them....hate to see them dropping from the sky.
The Puerto Plata cablecars have some 3 or 4 decades and not once did they 'dropped from the sky.'

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The Puerto Plata cablecars have some 3 or 4 decades and not once did they 'dropped from the sky.'

yes, but it's only two cars, really, and not riding non stop all day long.

i can see the "flying trains" thingy work. but like metro it would require uninterrupted power and a good backup.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Really? How cool would THAT be? A couple good friends and I took the Parque Arvi Cable system (the one pictured above) in Medellin a few years ago. It was seriously enjoyable.

I hope the project does in fact get off the ground. (horrible pun not intended.)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, there's people who are scared of riding teleferico in POP. i would so want it to break, get stuck and everyone to evacuate using ropes and ladders. cool adventure if i ever saw one.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
first a subway, now a cable car... the capitol sure likes to spend money.
the country needs to revamp their public bus system, and respect it!
the best thing the country can do is limit the amount of cars on the road, and promote bicycle lanes on every major road/street like a protected bike lane. It seems like the DR doesn't want to eliminate all the Cacharas (clunkers), the DR really needs to prohibit jalopies from the roads.
lets hope the materials used for these cable cars cant be stolen, and electricity will have constant power. the idea looks good on paper, but cable cars only seem to work for tourist attractions, extremely steep areas, or to cross bodies of water.
It is really incredible that so many smart dominicans have been all over the world, but can seem to fix things at home.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The city will look like a frustrated toddlers play pen in 50 years from now with broken toys and half finished games all over the place. And like toddlers they never do anything properly, never complete anything that's not fun or they just get bored easily. And most similarly like all our children have no concept of how much things cost. Ah bless, so cute!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Firstly Melbourne , Australia has the most trams running in the centre of the road , for most of the time without divisions and the system seems to work well but the trams do not go to the newer suburbs ..so that is a problem . They are normally two carriages linked together. In Medellin, as shown in the Picture of DV8. I am fairly sure of that, the cable car goes from the bus station all the way up the hill covering the hill suburbs. Medellin is nothing like Santo Domingo , being in a valley and flanked by mountaains .
I see in the article that the cable will start on Charles de Gaulle but as that road is very long I am uncertain where and follow a stretch that is very flat . The advantage to me seem to be the economic way for a crossing over the rio Ozama and I imagine the cable will be above the centre of existing streets with access by way of stairs . I quite like the idea .

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
If its an over head system like the pictures posted, it might work, but the traditional on the ground system isn't. In WashingtonDC someone came up with this, a few years later after tearing up streets and waiting for the cars the system still isn't up and running. There is even talk of just scraping the whole system.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes JD, the use of huge buses in Bogota , in the centre of the wide boulevards is a great system and I have seen it also work well in Lima but SD is such a mess of a road system that I really agree with you that the overhead cable car is a good idea . In Medellin, at the bottom station of the cable car system , you have to move fairly fast to get into the car and once it starts to mount the doors close automaticaly .. but of course the temperature is much cooler than in SD

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Really? How cool would THAT be? A couple good friends and I took the Parque Arvi Cable system (the one pictured above) in Medellin a few years ago. It was seriously enjoyable.

I hope the project does in fact get off the ground. (horrible pun not intended.)

PJT and wife enjoyed the Medellin Metro this summer and did ascend the Metrocable to Parque Arvi. It is funny the fare from the city center to the Acevedo Station and to include transfer to the Metrocable was COP $2000 / DOP $28. The trams have three stations on the steep hillside (mount) for residents and travelers with a forth and final station at the top within the park. The third station is a transfer station to continue onward to the park. It required an add'l COP $2000 fare. PJT on return half jokenly commented it will cost more to go down. Guess what ! It did. The park station fare was COP $8000 / DOP $115 to descend to the transfer station at the side of the hill. Then you pay COP $2000 to access the Metro. It was worth it.

The RD should think if it has not already done so to visit the possibility of allowing a free transfer between modes of transport at the four Metro stations.

Regards,

PJT