Merging Haiti and the DR

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I see numerous references to merging both country on this forum. Frankly, before reading DR1, I had never heard that. Serious question: Where is that idea coming from ???

Please: I am not asking the merits of the idea or not; In fact, I think it is just crazy.

I just trying to know if this fear is funded or is it simply paranoia ?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i feel it's what the west would like to see happen so that they don't have the problem of the "poorest country in the western hemisphere". it's like an ingrown hair on the freshly bleached anus of the first world.

personally i see no issue here. we could send all haitians to live with sean penn and extend DR all the way to the west coast.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Feelings ?

i feel it's what the west would like to see happen so that they don't have the problem of the "poorest country in the western hemisphere". it's like an ingrown hair on the freshly bleached anus of the first world.

personally i see no issue here. we could send all haitians to live with sean penn and extend DR all the way to the west coast.

Again, who in the West ? Has it been stated somewhere ?

Never even even heard Sean Pen said anything like that :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
to be honest i never heard of it until reading some comments on dominican today. and wyclef jean was apparently shouting this at his concert in lifestyle. is this really a thing?

ps we could send half of haitians to bill clinton. with a complimentary box of cigars. bazinga!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
to be honest i never heard of it until reading some comments on dominican today. and wyclef jean was apparently shouting this at his concert in lifestyle. is this really a thing?

ps we could send half of haitians to bill clinton. with a complimentary box of cigars. bazinga!

I thought may be it had its roots on the Haitian side. But who knows ?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

uhmm...it s starting to sound like the Illuminati conspiracy, then again Wyclef is rumored to be an Illuminati :)

The Illuminati is real, and it's everywhere., Wyclef Jean water symbol

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I first heard of this back in school. It was Toussaint Louverture who ALLEGEDLY said that the island was ONE and could not be divided, and that this is a sentiment that Haitians carried up to present times.

By the way, there's an intweview that Nuria did with President Martelly in which he talks about relaxing the boundaries between the two countries. This is actually an old interview but I saw it going around on FB just last week, people are still sharing it. There are also articles from foreign reporteters suggesting the unification of the island.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
This has been the subject of much discussion in the past

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...unify-Dominican-Republic-Haiti-Gutierrez-says

[video=youtube;kvaU-4zZwis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvaU-4zZwis[/video]

Haiti Should Merge With the Dominican Republic | Fox News

My understanding is that he wants an Union, more commercial exchanges, reminiscing of the European Union, but I could be wrong (You quoting Fox news now ? ;) )

So, it is an Haitian wish ??

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I first heard of this back in school. It was Toussaint Louverture who ALLEGEDLY said that the island was ONE and could not be divided, and that this is a sentiment that Haitians carried up to present times.

By the way, there's an intweview that Nuria did with President Martelly in which he talks about relaxing the boundaries between the two countries. This is actually an old interview but I saw it going around on FB just last week, people are still sharing it. There are also articles from foreign reporteters suggesting the unification of the island.

Thanks Aguaita !

Finally, a plausible explanation.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Interesting.. I actually wrote a note to Sweet Mikey ,.. who was only a candidate then.. when he did the interview.. and published iit on the Corbett List and asked that someone deliver it to him.. which they did. What I said that he should NEVER do an interview in the DR in Spanish again.. without an interpreter. He was speaking what is to him his fourth language.. Kreyole, French, English and ,, Spanish.. and while he was certainly trying to answer it with some blah blah good neighbor stuff.. he fell into a trap..

The DR does indeed hold a deep fear.. that the POWERS want a unified country.

Under Toussaint.. the Constitution of Haiti did indeed say that the entire island was Haiti,. and for a time, it was.. that it,, when it was all French.

But honestly, I think that Haiti is a much bigger issue for the DR than visa versa.. That is .. the flood of immigrants, the fact of its poverty,, the fear of the incroachment.. its "Africanness", its "voudoo", its "other".. For most Haitians.. the DR is just not an issue,, ok it is a place to go .. where they are not liked but can earn money or get a degree or medical treatment.

Haiti is huge trading partner for the DR .. third, I think. When Haiti started the egg boycott, Dominicans were shocked and angry.. first, they did not think that Haiti had that institutional power to do it, then they really had always seen themselves as the benefactors and victims of Haiti not as needing them in any way ..

I actually I heard one woman.. pretty well educated,., really angry about the boycott.. saying.. HOW COULD THEY
When we grow extra vegetables to feed them! When I pointed out that Haitians were buying the vegetbles, no? Trade, no
?
That was just not the way she had ever thought.

Martelly was expressing a dream that one day the two nations would be like European countries.. like France and Germany.. that the economies would be so equal that there would not be this rush from one side to the other,

It does seem like an odd dream now,... for many.. here in the DR..but for those of us who were in Haiti in the 70s and early 80s and before.. we can remember a different country. Haiti was exporting food in the 60s. Haiti had a thriving tourist industry when Punta Cana was a swamp. And Haiti..well.. ok.. you know.. Haiti produce more than all the British colonies combined. And during the time of Toussaint.. even the children of slaves were being sent to Paris to school whereas Santo Domingo had been a sorta abandoned cattle outpost.... all old history but something that one has to keep in mind.

I think that Haitians are just as fiercely nationalistic as Dominicans, perhaps moreso. They would no more want to become one nation with the DR.. than

well
the French would want to become Germans.

it is odd that Fox News would bring this up now? I mean this is REALLY old news?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
My understanding is that he wants an Union, more commercial exchanges, reminiscing of the European Union, but I could be wrong (You quoting Fox news now ? ;) )

So, it is an Haitian wish ??

European Union? Haha, more small scale like the relationship between Sint Maarten/ Saint Martin where goods and People travel freely across the border but the French and Dutch sides are politically distinct. I quote all kinds of sources. Just because a source likes to play politics with the news they shouldn't be ignored. It helps to know as much about the person across from you as the chess board itself.

Somebody else said it...there appear to be two sets of forces aiming at unification of Quisqeya. An internal force and an external force. The internal force is apparently disorganized and weak while the external force is comprised of transnational companies seeking to colonize us all. Bill Clinton is their emissary on the Island and he and his backers would love to see the entire island under a single flag with dozens of corporate logos on it and a government of, by and for the banks.

I'm merely an observer with no dog in the fight but the Western policies toward Haiti are clearly not in the best interests of either Haitians or Dominicans. There has been more movement toward uniting the Caribbean as a whole on the "EU model" and I think that would be the best course for the future stability and economic progress of every member nation. They've got a long way to go and a lot of work to do to make that happen.

https://sakpasediplomacy.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/occupydr-movement/

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
It has indeed started with Toussaint (when he was the French governor of St Domingue) for different reasons:*

- Keeping the all territory (la hispaniola) under one French rule , when the Spanish gave up that part of the land to the French in 1795 (in exchange of some parts of Spain conquered by the French)

- kick out the spaniards (still practised slavery when French had abolished it for strategic reasons: one being using the former slaves into an organized army to fight the invaders like England and Spain),who fought the French in la hispaniola (with former haitians rebels like Jean Fran?ois, Biassou and even Toussaint when he was in the spanish army). At that time France was at war against many European monarchies since they destituted Louis XVI

- keeping the French rule of territory unity, as the French did against les Vend?ens after the french revolution ( a massacre...) : which explains the numerous invasions or tentatives against the DR

On a personal note I hope that it's not true, because it will certainly lead to a bloodshed...

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think that Haitians are just as fiercely nationalistic as Dominicans, perhaps moreso. They would no more want to become one nation with the DR.. than well the French would want to become Germans.

That is what I think but I don't know enough Haitians or haven't just talked about it to know.

I understand about Toussaint Louverture, but do Haitians still go by his wishes 200 hundreds years later ?