Four tourists drown at Playa Macao

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Finding enough Dominicans who can actually swim may present a challenge here...

i am glad you said that, and not i. the country needs to embark on a serious effort to train brigades of lifeguards as soon as possible. this could be detrimental to its efforts to lure tourists. sooner or later, the number of visitors who have drowned here is going to get the attention of some so called investigative journalist, and he or she is going to do some tv piece about it.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The Canadian Embassy organizes a program every year both in Punta Cana and Puerto Plata to train tourism industry employees in basic search and rescue, first aid techniques and in some cases, how to swim. Last year almost 100 adults participated in Punta Cana but obviously it's just a small piece of what needs to be done. Since the start of the program, the number of drownings has been reduced in Playa Macao as Macao Surf Camp and another surf camp have actively participated in the program but local authorities have done absolutely nothing so far. From what I'm reading, one person was saved but the others drowned trying to save someone that was being pulled out by a rip current. Very typical in Macao. Just last year over 100 people were saved just on that beach.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A tragic story. My condolences to their families. Before blame is dumped on the DR maybe more facts should come out. Like what was thier blood alcohol level, where they strong swimmers, did they have life jackets on.
Unfortunately the Dominican way of life will be blamed. I think to avoid these tragic events in the future the following should be posted at every point of entry. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS. If you don't like it you are free leave.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Four in one go eh? As tourism numbers increase with the current safety measures in place (or lack there of) its to be expected.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A tragic story. My condolences to their families. Before blame is dumped on the DR maybe more facts should come out. Like what was thier blood alcohol level, where they strong swimmers, did they have life jackets on.
Unfortunately the Dominican way of life will be blamed. I think to avoid these tragic events in the future the following should be posted at every point of entry. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS. If you don't like it you are free leave.

that will go down really well at tourist sites, especially with guys with families.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
i am glad you said that, and not i. the country needs to embark on a serious effort to train brigades of lifeguards as soon as possible. this could be detrimental to its efforts to lure tourists. sooner or later, the number of visitors who have drowned here is going to get the attention of some so called investigative journalist, and he or she is going to do some tv piece about it.

I should think that funding would quite easily be obtained from hotels in the area. Everybody benefits from increased tourists and it is ludicrous to think that nothing will be done to stop this tragic event from reoccurring. Training and some lifesaving eqipment also. My spanish is not so good but it looks like one was in difficulty and the other three went in to save the one.

ah, posted just after DV8, so didnt see that you said the same thing.

dave

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Didn't we just talk about this point the last time? Bad situations and bad decisions rarely make for a good outcomes. It's sad for sure, but the laws governing the operation of the universe don't work on emotions or good intentions.

i have no idea what your point is. please indulge me and elucidate.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
who is in charge of beaches? I mean with the situation here in sosua, who is responsible for playa alicia? Can a bunch of gringos just go down there and start patrolling? I think not. There must be an office or representative who would act as liason for such a setup?

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Indeed.
However, Dominicans may understand "Bay Watch" a bit differently... :rolleyes:

donP

I remember that kind of thing years ago. I was hanging out with some locals on the far right arm of rocky coast that defines Sosua bay. What were they doing, you know, pass the time stuff, watch the sharks through the crystal clear blue water, see if they might attack a human. Granted not likely, but a way to pass the time.