cell phone and Netflix Qs

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Coming to DR next week and will be staying is Costambar. I am looking to purchase a cell phone. I don't want a plan or any of the bells and whistles. It will be used mostly for calling a taxi to get out and about. Does anyone know how much I should expect this to cost, and am I better getting Orange or Claro? Is there somewhere I can purchase a phone is Costambar? If not, can you suggest the best place to make a purchase?

I subscribe to Netflix in Canada for use on my tablet. I suspect it won't work I DR, but was hoping someone could verify. I expect I should prepare for withdrawl during my visit.

Looking forward to some nice weather since basically weather in Ontario has sucked since 2013.

Thanks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can get a cheap phone for about $15 US from Claro, maybe Orange also. Just put minutes in when you need them.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm outside La Romana and before my laptop died I was able to watch movies on netflix. Yes I am Canadian and have a subcription in Canada. It worked fine down here but after a few days you will notice Spanish subtitles in some of the movies. I brought down my unlocked blackberry G4 and bought a claro sim card for 300 pesos then added 500 pesos for local texting and like you said calling a taxi

Good luck

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Netflix will work fine, if you have internet. You'll get the Mexican plan if you don't use a service that gives you Canadian or US dns server. Unotelly will grant you a month free trial of their service which lets you choose what Netflix service to use.

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
Snowqueen
When I was there in October I was able to watch Netflix on my US account,with no problems... hope this helps you.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
There are plenty of free vpn's in the appstore for your phone or tablet. Most of them only give you the 1st month free, but if you're on vacation that's all you need.
For those of you that live here permanently I would recommend getting a tomato router with a vpn preinstalled, set it up for whatever country you want service from, and enjoy. Or you can jut download the software and flash your current router. It comes in handy for those of us that have smart tvs with u.s. only apps i.e. hulu.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know who HE is but it sounds as though it cost 200 pesos in labor just to install a sim card. you couldn't take the back off and install it yourself?

Where can I get a sim card for 100 pesos

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Where can I get a sim card for 100 pesos

I bought a unlocked phone Samsung Galaxy Mini and mailed to my wife in SD then went to a local Orange shop and go a new sim card for 50 pesos and shes online within minutes. Worked great.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I bought a unlocked phone Samsung Galaxy Mini and mailed to my wife in SD then went to a local Orange shop and go a new sim card for 50 pesos and shes online within minutes. Worked great.

Fantastic and how muich will iot cost me for a return trip from Dominicus? I have limited options here so I'm willing to pay 300 to save time running to timbukto and back but it might help some one that lives in SD. :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
you will need a good internet connection to see netflix in good quality. 3mb download will show you a sharp video. make sure your internet is not shared by many people in the apartment where you will be staying. your netflix will be connected to latin american netflix. this means all videos will have either spanish subtitles or subtitles and spanish audio channel as well. you just watch it in english and dis-activate the spanish subs. Choose english audio. what this means is that your movie selection will be limited because you will only see the movies which support spanish subtitles and / or spanish audio. almost all programs do come in english as well.
The problem is when you have a korean movie, there won't be any english subtitles. I am sure you can live with that. now if you are going to be staying in a hotel or a apartment complex which provide free internet then good luck. it will be so slow that viewing netflix will become next to impossible.
AZB