Wind Power in Guzmancito/Luperon

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Wind power in Guzmancito

Last month of May it was announced that a private company named Poseidon was going to build a wind power plant in Cuzmancito/Luperon.
They were supposed to place 55 wind turbines in an area of 800.000 square meters .

Some rumors going around that they are working.

Does any of you have news about this?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was there maybe 3 weeks ago. interesting spot and an interesting trip. we wanted to take a visiting friend for a drive and set for that road not knowing what to expect. mud. gravel. more mud. small rivers. poseidon was at the end of the track. pretty much middle of nowhere, next to a small river. surrounded by several shacks catering to dominicans who go to the river on weekends. there are few buildings and a rickety fence but no windmills. no signs of any work being carried either but then we were there on a sunday.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Wind power in Guzmancito

Last month of May it was announced that a private company named Poseidon was going to build a wind power plant in Cuzmancito/Luperon.
They were supposed to place 55 wind turbines in an area of 800.000 square meters .

I have seen the road from Maimon being widened and graded to where this is supposed to be happening. No sign so far of construction or wind turbines that I've been able to make out.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Where is guzmancito?

Wind power in Guzmancito

Is it close to luperon or Maimon ?tks

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Where is guzmancito?

Wind power in Guzmancito

Is it close to luperon or Maimon ?tks

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Guzmancito is in the district of Luperon. The road to Guzmancito starts in Maimon and the road is indeed terrible.
However the area is beautiful and at some spots the view is amazing.
Today I was told that the wind power project is stopped - no money. I just don't know what to believe.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the road is actually pretty cool. if it ever gets fixed it will have some spectacular views. and there is hope that with opening the cruise ship port it will finally see completion.

guzmancito is about half way between maimon and luperon. probably a bit closer to maimon even.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Guzmansito is on the top of the hill and Guzman is down at the river. There are various private access to some beach areas between the two. When I worked with Soluz in the late 90's
we had a number of small (boat) sized wind turbines installed but could never get the energy through the regulator and into the batteries the right way.
We found that solar panels were the better option for small uses. Micro siting is very important when it comes to these small systems.

USAID spent US $3million studying and funding start up projects in the late nighties related to wind energy. They had 10 anemometers installed over a period of years
to measure the daily and season fluctuations. Wind resources are fairly predicable and Guzmansito (really the Cueto property closer to Guzman) was
one of the 10 sites and had probably the best resource in the country. Building a wind farm and pumping it into the grid would definitely work. Getting the financing, and
property rights are two major issues to have a project like that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
$3 Million US doing a study with 10 anemometers? Wish I could have tapped into that fiasco.

May 29, 2006
Wind can work well with hydro as a hybrid system. During low usage/high winds, they pump water from down stream uphill to be stored as water power. Then the hydro is used on the grid with the occasional boost from the wind turbines.

The big turbines are not cheap and have diameters of about 200 ft. The main problem in the DR wouldn't be not enough wind but being able to handle storms. You don't built a ground level anemometer when the turbine is 150ft up off the ground and its high point is over 200.

Knowing the wind speed is critical because the potential power is a cube of the wind speed. In other words, a 30MPH wind generates more than double the potential power than 20MPH wind and at 40MPH, it's eight times as much.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Bullshix. Wind is currently costing the province of Ontario Canada 1 billion dollars per year. It is unreliable and making the cost of electricity in the province the highest in north America. For you global warming enthusiasts the cost of making a wind turbine takes 20 years beyond its useful life in carbon credits. Most so called green countries are now eliminating windmills as a source of power as it is not yet reliable. Quebec and NY state are very happy to accept the excess power provided by the province. Gas turbines and nukes are required to back up the wind. Not to mention the noise and birds that are killed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Only when I pay my hydro bill. I find the luz much cheaper down here despite what I read.

I never paid a hydro bill in my life, but I have paid many electricity bills. :classic:

Electricity here is very expensive if you go over 700kWh in a month from and EDE.