Construction In The Colonial Zone

Patti Shabaga

Mar 3, 2015
Hello,
I have been informed that there is quite a bit of construction in the Colonial Zone. Is it quite an eyesore? Also does it make it hard to get around on foot? I will be visiting next week and I am so looking forward to returning to the beautiful DR.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Hello,
I have been informed that there is quite a bit of construction in the Colonial Zone. Is it quite an eyesore? Also does it make it hard to get around on foot? I will be visiting next week and I am so looking forward to returning to the beautiful DR.

There is quite a bit of construction going on, mostly renovation/restoration of buildings which doesn't really affect getting around on foot except at isolated spots where the sidewalk may be obstructed for a few yards. The major problem is the ongoing roadworks now almost two years in progress, but the place where that might affect getting around on foot is the part of La Catolica from Parque Colon (the Cathedral area) towards Plaza de Espana. There are easy detours for pedestrians through the parallel and cross streets, so you can get to almost everywhere you need to. Of course if it rains the area around there gets rather messy and the smell is not to good but that should not put you off from enjoying the zona. Some of the renovations and restorations are really good to look at, particularly in the small streets and courtyards around Padre Billini Street between Sanchez and Merino Portes and Nouel.....lots of new boutique hotels, restaurants, bars and the like in these restored parts. So enjoy!!

Patti Shabaga

Mar 3, 2015
This is good to know. We are staying at the Hotel France's. I'm so looking forward to immersing myself in the history of the colonial zone. :)

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is not quite perfect in front of Hotel Frances but still the taxis can get there to pick up and drop off .. as Bryanell has said Calle Isobel la Catolica is a mess and also the end of Arzbisipo Noel near the cathedral ..and around Parque Espana ...in fact it is most uncomfortable at present eating at the restaurants in parque Espana because the cars are coming so close to the patrons on a temporary detour