Paraiso area....places to stay

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Finally got a few free days coming up and want to make that trip to the South West that has been on my 'to do' list for some time now.

In reality I am looking for a comfortable yet affordable place to use as a base to explore the region further by car so Casa Bonita is not the type of place where I would consider staying this time.

Any recommendations based upon personal experience?

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
I spent quite a bit of time late last year exploring SW DR...as was stated above not a lot of good hotel options. IMO the best place to stay is in Los Patos. There is a new hotel there VistaSur right on the main highway (another one across the street from it) and another place called Hotelito Oasi Italiana just up the hill in the village. When I was there last they were building up the beach area in a effort to attract more tourists. There is also a natural "pool" there in Los Patos. Los Patos is a good jumping off spot to explore Bahia de Aguilas/Cabo Rojo and the rest of the Barahona coast, including Paraiso.

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Oh yeah, I stopped by Casa Bonita...overpriced IMO...especially, since it isn't on a beach. BTW, most of the beaches on the Barahona coast are rocky with strong waves/currents...not suitable for swimming.

Aug 6, 2006
The people in Barahona feel neglected by the government because the level of tourism is so much less than in places like Boca Chica, Sosua and Samana. They seem to think that the hotels are all financed by the government, perhaps because the Hotel Guaricua was built by the government during the times of Trujillo.

When I told them that the beaches were mostly rocky rather than sandy and the ocean was rough rather than calm, they did not seem to think about this, because they had never been to the more touristy places.

San Rafael and Los Patos, both W of Barahona have sandy beaches where freshwater rivers flow out in the ocean. Both [places are very nice, but the beaches are not big enough in my opinion for major development. The beach at Paraiso is not paradisaical: the sea is rough and the beach is mostly larger rocks and way too much trash. Perhaps Las Aguilas is a better place for resorts. I cannot say since I have never been there.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
anyway - its still beautiful there and the sea unfortunately is like you said. rarely suitable for swimming.
I was living in that area (near Paraiso) for few months and I remember that period with nostalgia...so much beauty around..and the nearest ATM - 50 km from my place lol....
The people in Barahona feel neglected by the government because the level of tourism is so much less than in places like Boca Chica, Sosua and Samana. They seem to think that the hotels are all financed by the government, perhaps because the Hotel Guaricua was built by the government during the times of Trujillo.

When I told them that the beaches were mostly rocky rather than sandy and the ocean was rough rather than calm, they did not seem to think about this, because they had never been to the more touristy places.

San Rafael and Los Patos, both W of Barahona have sandy beaches where freshwater rivers flow out in the ocean. Both [places are very nice, but the beaches are not big enough in my opinion for major development. The beach at Paraiso is not paradisaical: the sea is rough and the beach is mostly larger rocks and way too much trash. Perhaps Las Aguilas is a better place for resorts. I cannot say since I have never been there.

Aug 6, 2006
The views from the highway cannot be beat. It is a very beautiful place. Well, except for the trash in places, like the waterfront in Paraiso. They are improving the highway from Azua to Barahona. so perhaps someday... If I were in the hotel business, I don't think I would invest in any major projects there yet. There are no flights into the Aeropuerto Internacional Maria Montez, ie the Barahona airport, and rich foreigners are unlikely to want to spend an extra three hours on a bus or driving on a two lane bumpy road.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
hmm I drove that road Azua- Barahona in 2013 on motorbike and what was wrong with it ?? just normal road....actually good quality...
but deserted and for many kilometres there is no gas station there...
as for the trash dumps - there is also another one , in Enriquillo ;-)
The views from the highway cannot be beat. It is a very beautiful place. Well, except for the trash in places, like the waterfront in Paraiso. They are improving the highway from Azua to Barahona. so perhaps someday... If I were in the hotel business, I don't think I would invest in any major projects there yet. There are no flights into the Aeropuerto Internacional Maria Montez, ie the Barahona airport, and rich foreigners are unlikely to want to spend an extra three hours on a bus or driving on a two lane bumpy road.

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
From my explorations...the best beaches on that stretch that I visited were Cabo Rojo/La Cueva and Bahia de Aguilas. They are all suitable for dipping/wading/swimming and clean for the most part. Bahia de Aguilas they recommend a 4x4 vehicle to drive to it (it is located inside of Parque Nacional de Jaragua) or you can take a boat from La Cueva, which I did. Very beautiful beach, no development...hopefully, it will stay that way. Cabo Rojo/La Cueva...you can find many spots to pull off and enjoy the beach stretches. When I went, it was just me and the two folks I was traveling with on a nice stretch of beach. IMO the SW Barahona Coast is the probably the most beautiful...the mountains literally seem like they fall into the sea, though as already stated most of the beaches are nice to look at, but not so much for swimming. I plan to go back and do some more exploring soon.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
exactly, one of the most beautiful areas in generally nice/ beautiful country
IMO the SW Barahona Coast is the probably the most beautiful...the mountains literally seem like they fall into the sea, though as already stated most of the beaches are nice to look at, but not so much for swimming. I plan to go back and do some more exploring soon.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
From my explorations...the best beaches on that stretch that I visited were Cabo Rojo/La Cueva and Bahia de Aguilas. They are all suitable for dipping/wading/swimming and clean for the most part. Bahia de Aguilas they recommend a 4x4 vehicle to drive to it (it is located inside of Parque Nacional de Jaragua) or you can take a boat from La Cueva, which I did. Very beautiful beach, no development...hopefully, it will stay that way. Cabo Rojo/La Cueva...you can find many spots to pull off and enjoy the beach stretches. When I went, it was just me and the two folks I was traveling with on a nice stretch of beach. IMO the SW Barahona Coast is the probably the most beautiful...the mountains literally seem like they fall into the sea, though as already stated most of the beaches are nice to look at, but not so much for swimming. I plan to go back and do some more exploring soon.

Thanks for the advice.......better than my somewhat dated 'Rough Guide to the Dominican Republic'

The trip is imminent.........

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Can anyone enlighten me on the likely security situation when driving from say Paraiso to Oviedo and then on towards Pedernales but turning off to Cabo Riojo. Are there regular police/military road blocks to negotiate?

I guess it can't be any worse for being stopped than by PN in Santo Domingo at a weekend!

Last edited:

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
i was there in 2013. what do you mean by negotiate ? there are some guys after Enriquillo but they dont do anything....
I never drove to Pedernales as it was too far from Enriquillo and the road is "a little" deserted
overall it is safe....but if you will get flat tyre or something will get broken...hmmm
Can anyone enlighten me on the likely security situation when driving from say Paraiso to Oviedo and then on towards Pedernales but turning off to Cabo Riojo. Are there regular police/military road blocks to negotiate?

I guess it can't be any worse for being stopped than by PN in Santo Domingo at a weekend!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There are more military check points than the rest of the country but they were no problem and they tend to stop coming towards Barahona from Haiti than the other way round. I have been to the area several times and never had any problems.

Matilda

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
i was there in 2013. what do you mean by negotiate ? there are some guys after Enriquillo but they dont do anything....
I never drove to Pedernales as it was too far from Enriquillo and the road is "a little" deserted
overall it is safe....but if you will get flat tyre or something will get broken...hmmm

Thanks.......don't intend to head towards Lago Enriquillo this time.......(was lucky enough to live in Kenya for two years and the Rift Valley lakes would be hard to surpass).

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

Bahia de Las Aguilas is an absolute stunner of a beach! Just back from there today.

We shared the 2 mile plus perfect sandy beach with crystal clear blue water with 7 other people today! Drove from La Cueva........dirt road is in good nick just before you drive down from the cliff there is a parking spot and they have put in paths to viewing points from the cliffs just before the beach. Superb swimming in that perfectly clear still water with a gentle slope out from the shore line. Like being in your own massive swimming pool with the deep end feathering out to sea. One word of advice there are a few trees to hide out of the fierce sun with your cooler full of beer, but better bring a parasol.

Untouched pristine beautiful and a beach much better than anything else in DR IMO.......yes for me better than Rincon, Coson, Macao and my personal previous favorite the picturesque La Valle.

Reminds me when I first stepped on Grace Bay in Providenciales Turks and Caicos back in 1984 when that was untouched. And they now say that is the worlds #1 but beach full of hotels.

DR has a gem here and so glad that the Meija government back in 2004 never went ahead with the then planned all-inclusive.

Staying in Paraiso in lovely little 5 bed hotel, Pirates del Carib.

All the advice was useful. Roads are good and being upgraded. This is great scenic part of DR still largely untouched by tourism.