Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paraiso area....places to stay

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paraiso area....places to stay

Finally got a few free days coming up and want to make that trip to the South West that has been on my 'to do' list for some time now.

In reality I am looking for a comfortable yet affordable place to use as a base to explore the region further by car so Casa Bonita is not the type of place where I would consider staying this time.

Any recommendations based upon personal experience?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

you have few options in paraiso/ los patos and few in Enriquillo.

starting from 350 p/ night to around 1,000-1,500 p/ night

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Portada • Rancho Platon is something?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent quite a bit of time late last year exploring SW DR...as was stated above not a lot of good hotel options. IMO the best place to stay is in Los Patos. There is a new hotel there VistaSur right on the main highway (another one across the street from it) and another place called Hotelito Oasi Italiana just up the hill in the village. When I was there last they were building up the beach area in a effort to attract more tourists. There is also a natural "pool" there in Los Patos. Los Patos is a good jumping off spot to explore Bahia de Aguilas/Cabo Rojo and the rest of the Barahona coast, including Paraiso.

5. Likes ju10prd liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, I stopped by Casa Bonita...overpriced IMO...especially, since it isn't on a beach. BTW, most of the beaches on the Barahona coast are rocky with strong waves/currents...not suitable for swimming.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Going this April, we will be staying at Hotel Panoramica
    Hotel Panoramica Barahona, Santa Cruz de Barahona, Dominican Republic - Booking.com
    Make a reservation directly for "special rates" (sorry cannot say more here)
    just tell them you want to make the booking directly without going through the travel portals
    *I am not associated with them in any way*

8. Likes ju10prd liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The people in Barahona feel neglected by the government because the level of tourism is so much less than in places like Boca Chica, Sosua and Samana. They seem to think that the hotels are all financed by the government, perhaps because the Hotel Guaricua was built by the government during the times of Trujillo.

When I told them that the beaches were mostly rocky rather than sandy and the ocean was rough rather than calm, they did not seem to think about this, because they had never been to the more touristy places.

San Rafael and Los Patos, both W of Barahona have sandy beaches where freshwater rivers flow out in the ocean. Both [places are very nice, but the beaches are not big enough in my opinion for major development. The beach at Paraiso is not paradisaical: the sea is rough and the beach is mostly larger rocks and way too much trash. Perhaps Las Aguilas is a better place for resorts. I cannot say since I have never been there.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

anyway - its still beautiful there and the sea unfortunately is like you said. rarely suitable for swimming.
    I was living in that area (near Paraiso) for few months and I remember that period with nostalgia...so much beauty around..and the nearest ATM - 50 km from my place lol....
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_Onassis View Post
    The people in Barahona feel neglected by the government because the level of tourism is so much less than in places like Boca Chica, Sosua and Samana. They seem to think that the hotels are all financed by the government, perhaps because the Hotel Guaricua was built by the government during the times of Trujillo.

When I told them that the beaches were mostly rocky rather than sandy and the ocean was rough rather than calm, they did not seem to think about this, because they had never been to the more touristy places.

San Rafael and Los Patos, both W of Barahona have sandy beaches where freshwater rivers flow out in the ocean. Both [places are very nice, but the beaches are not big enough in my opinion for major development. The beach at Paraiso is not paradisaical: the sea is rough and the beach is mostly larger rocks and way too much trash. Perhaps Las Aguilas is a better place for resorts. I cannot say since I have never been there.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The views from the highway cannot be beat. It is a very beautiful place. Well, except for the trash in places, like the waterfront in Paraiso. They are improving the highway from Azua to Barahona. so perhaps someday... If I were in the hotel business, I don't think I would invest in any major projects there yet. There are no flights into the Aeropuerto Internacional Maria Montez, ie the Barahona airport, and rich foreigners are unlikely to want to spend an extra three hours on a bus or driving on a two lane bumpy road.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm I drove that road Azua- Barahona in 2013 on motorbike and what was wrong with it ?? just normal road....actually good quality...
    but deserted and for many kilometres there is no gas station there...
    as for the trash dumps - there is also another one , in Enriquillo ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_Onassis View Post
    The views from the highway cannot be beat. It is a very beautiful place. Well, except for the trash in places, like the waterfront in Paraiso. They are improving the highway from Azua to Barahona. so perhaps someday... If I were in the hotel business, I don't think I would invest in any major projects there yet. There are no flights into the Aeropuerto Internacional Maria Montez, ie the Barahona airport, and rich foreigners are unlikely to want to spend an extra three hours on a bus or driving on a two lane bumpy road.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast