Letting on How Much I Make During a Two Month Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabelotodo

Mar 6, 2014
I'm planning a two month stay in the DR (mostly Cabarete), and I'm looking for advice about how to handle myself in terms of letting on how much money I make. I lived in the DR for two years working as a volunteer, so I know my way around the country, and general common sense about how to stay safe, avoid being robbed or taken advantage of, etc. However, when I lived in the DR before I was there as a volunteer and living on $500 USD a month. Now I work remotely as an engineer for a company in the US, and I earn a significant amount of money even compared to most Americans.

I'm looking for opinions about how much to let on about how much money I make, and smart ways to conceal it so that I don't get taken advantage of, while at the same time, using the fact that I have money to work to my advantage.

I think it will be tempting to "wave my money around" and pay for everything when I go out with people, and suggest activities that I know people couldn't really afford, and just offering to pay. It also might be hard for me to keep my mouth shut about the dollar amount I earn, even though I know it's not a good idea to tell people.

I've considered just using a "cover story" any telling everyone that I meet that I'm still a "broke" non-profit volunteer. But that might not be a perfect cover, since I'm staying long-term in a place that's outside of the price range of someone with a volunteer's budget. I'm also afraid that if I lie to a government official, police, airport worker, etc about being a volunteer even though I'm not that I might get myself into trouble.

Lastly, I'd like to use my employment status/income level to my advantage in dating situations. I don't mind if a girl is just into me because I have money, but I don't want to get taken advantage of or into any terribly sticky situations with a chapiadora.

So, any opinions? Ideas? Advice? How would you handle yourself with a moderate to large income in the Dominican Republic?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sabelotodo

Hmm, you call yourself 'sabelotodo" and yet ask those silly questions? :rolleyes:
Ayayayay...

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Low Profile

I lived in the DR for two years working as a volunteer, so I know my way around the country, and general common sense about how to stay safe, avoid being robbed or taken advantage of, etc. (...) I know it's not a good idea to tell people.

I guess, you know more than a lot of newbies ('chapiadora'... ;) ).
Use what you know and keep a low profile.
You'll be all right. :classic:

donP

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
I don't know why this would even be an issue. I've never told anyone here (other than the GF) anything specific about that. It really never comes up and I get taken to dinner as much as I take others out. You just have to find the right kids to run with...

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Nouveau riche

It also might be hard for me to keep my mouth shut about the dollar amount I earn , even though I know it's not a good idea to tell people.

Buy yourself some class (it s classless in the first world and pathetic in a developing country) and you might avoid chiapadoras*.

*But, something tells me that you will end up with anyway.:rolleyes:

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
This thing is goofy....I think I just posted twice...oh well...

Try online dating (eHarmony), make an appointment at your lawyer, dentist, doctor, accountant, etc. and get to know people. Live in a middle/upper class area, get to know the neighbors. Network, just like you would in the States (assuming you're looking for a relationship). Practice the same due diligence you would dating in the US (if someone's story doesn't add up, it's a clue).

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I think it will be tempting to "wave my money around" and pay for everything when I go out with people, and suggest activities that I know people couldn't really afford, and just offering to pay. It also might be hard for me to keep my mouth shut about the dollar amount I earn, even though I know it's not a good idea to tell people.

Why would you do the above regardless of where you're living? Your question is really odd.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Wow, what's with the hostility?

why would you boast about the amount of money you make in a country where so many people earn 200-300 months ? Unless, of course, you hang out with Dominicans in Casa de campo or country club, I don't find that very.....classy (for lack of better words). Plus, it may endanger your safety.

At the same time, you don't have to act broke either, most people who vacation to DR can afford to pay rounds of drinks and pay the tabs at the restaurant. That is part of the reason why it is so easy to make friends ;)

You know what ? Forget what I said. Just be yourself.

make-it-rain-gif-vHuX.jpg

MAKE IT RAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

sabelotodo

Mar 6, 2014
Why would you do the above regardless of where you're living? Your question is really odd.

I don't really think it's that odd to offer to pay for friends when you go out. And if you have a lot of money, it's that much easier to do without thinking about it. In the US, that's never really a problem for me, because I hang out with people who make the same amount of money as me so I pay for things as often as my friends do, and no one thinks twice about it. In the DR, I'm making over 10 times what most adults make, and I know from experience that there are a lot of people in the DR who basically live off of taking advantage of wealthy foreigners. (Obviously not everyone, so don't take that as a blanket statement, I'm just trying to think through a wise way to navigate the culture so that the few people who *do* try to take advantage of foreigners for their money don't end up taking advantage of me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.