good neighbourhoods near sosua

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
I know you're getting sick of me LOL..but as the "great DonP. " has suggested Sosua is not THE best place to
raise a child. We are familiar with the town so plan to rent there when we first move to get to know the island. I have heard Las Terranas is great but a bit pricey and the school only goes to grade 2, so that's no good. Are there any nice neighbourhoods around Sosua???

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are some nice developements, like Sea Horse Ranch( which goes along with the if you have enough money comment above) which is actually in Cabarete. Hispaniola estates seems nice, but I have only visited one person there a couple of times. And there are complexes with condos that are self contained communities. If you are looking for normal ungated areas with houses, I would have to say not really.

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
well that is disheartening windeguy....cant afford a ranch LOL..and if I dont have enough money Derfish? Where will I end up? and how safe will I be on $800 rent?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
If you care for your family and want to raise them somewhere safe and close to the beach your best option close to Sosua is to get on a Spirit flight from Santiago to Fort Lauderdale. I dont think you know what you are getting into

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
well that is disheartening windeguy....cant afford a ranch LOL..and if I dont have enough money Derfish? Where will I end up? and how safe will I be on $800 rent?

There should be some homes available in decent gated areas for that, but I have no experience with them. Certainly there would be some condos at that price.

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
I pay 8000 pesos for a 3 bedroom house in Puerto Plata. It is a pure Dominican Neighborhood. It is unfurnisehd for that $186.00 a month, but we've been here for more than 2 years and the peso amount doesn't go up at all. $800.00 USD should get you most anything. Get in touch with me when you arrive and I'll show you great places right on the beach with mostly French and English speaking neighbors for less than $600.00 a month. Have no idea of schools near by, but Lots of schools to choose from here in Puerto Plata.

Cheaper the better Derfish, looking for 3 bedrooms as the properties are pretty small I've seen and would be nice to have an extra room for "stuff" LOL. If we find something we like for $600 that fits in our budget and would be phenominal!! I am getting scared reading the living costs people are posting here. My husband is about to retire and we can no longer afford our mortgage on a pension ( I am the 3rd wife and my hubby walked away from his last 2 houses). we will have a nice nest egg to move with..but dont really want to rely on htat for monthly living.

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
Derfish do you have family with you ? Do you feel safe enough in an entirely spanish neighbourhood? My husband and I are very outgoing and friendly but we have only visited puerto Plata once and felt a bit squeamish..maybe it was all the tourguides stories...

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
Cheaper the better Derfish, looking for 3 bedrooms as the properties are pretty small I've seen and would be nice to have an extra room for "stuff" LOL. If we find something we like for $600 that fits in our budget and would be phenominal!! I am getting scared reading the living costs people are posting here. My husband is about to retire and we can no longer afford our mortgage on a pension ( I am the 3rd wife and my hubby walked away from his last 2 houses). we will have a nice nest egg to move with..but dont really want to rely on htat for monthly living.

PS I'm Canadian so $800 is more like $600

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
If you can be 45 minutes from the beach Santiago may have everything you want/need at good prices.

As others have said living an the beach is not all good. Harley?

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
No not particulary, but it would help of course, going to try to do something for extra cash..too young to retire and get drunk on the beach all day

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
If you care for your family and want to raise them somewhere safe and close to the beach your best option close to Sosua is to get on a Spirit flight from Santiago to Fort Lauderdale. I dont think you know what you are getting into

wow! guess you dont live in the DR then?

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
If you can be 45 minutes from the beach Santiago may have everything you want/need at good prices.

I have heard santo Domingo is quite dangerous but don't really know much about santiago...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Lived in Charamicos for two years, never had any problems. Not sure if I'd want my kids raised in Sosua.
Maybe Jarabacoa.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are nice houses to rent in decent gated communities and elsewhere. You really need to come here and see these places as no description will be adequate.

Star Hills for 2 bedrooms condos in the $800 range. Several gated communities with houses of various sizes for $1000 - $1500.
Accommodations on the economy (ie among locals) for anywhere in between.

Availability varies depending on when you are looking. More available after high tourist season, less when the tourists are here. Looking now is pointless as the best you can do is maybe choose a neighborhood, what will be available when you are ready to move is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015

I live with a Dominican lady who is a bit younger than my youngest child at 46 years old, her 3 kids and a grandson all live off me. I do Spanish pretty good though no one would ever think it is my native language. But most gringos here seem to live in fear as if George W was in charge and giving color coded fear days, but I I've been threatened with a gun twice in my life, both times in the USA and both times by white guys my own age. Not to say that tomorrow I won't be shot down by one of the well known "wild eyed pistol wavers raging in the streets, but all I want to do is dance!" PM me when you arrive and I'll show you around.
Der Fish

Colour coded fear days??? yikes...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Vindictive German

I know you're getting sick of me LOL..but as the "great DonP. " has suggested Sosua is not THE best place to raise a child.

You ask many questions, yet do not read the answers thoroughly.
I wrote that I "would not want my DOG to live there".... :classic:
{On a second thought, it may, however, even be that one of our GSD puppies was sold there... :rolleyes: }

You disliked my opinion (which, BTW is not a suggestion), most likely because you seem to know everything about 'Sosewer' already and probably find it 'awesome'.
So, no more opinions from me.

I have heard Las Terranas is great but a bit pricey and the school only goes to grade 2, so that's no good.

We have been living in Las Terrenas (outskirts) for almost 16 years, but "great DonP" decided to be uncommunicative.... :tired:
No vale la pena.

donP

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
You ask many questions, yet do not read the answers thoroughly.
I wrote that I "would not want my DOG to live there".... :classic:
{On a second thought, it may, however, even be that one of our GSD puppies was sold there... :rolleyes: }

You disliked my opinion (which, BTW is not a suggestion), most likely because you seem to know everything about 'Sosewer' already and find it 'awesome'.

So, no more opinions from me.

Nobody asked for it! Not worth my effort either!

We have been living in Las Terrenas (outskirts) for almost 16 years, but "great DonP" decided to be uncommunicative.... :tired:
No vale la pena.

donP

Nobody asked for it! Not worth my effort either!