Road Trip: Punta Cana to Santiago

Dvargas

Mar 10, 2015
Hey Guys,
I'm thinking about doing this drive this coming summer going to a PC for 3 days then renting a car and driving to my grandmothers house in Santiago. I have driven in DR before so I know the risk but I haven't been in DR since 2006 and I know a lot has changed since then.

My Questions are:

How long will the drive be: (Google says 4hrs, yeah right!)
I'm aware that GPS does exist in DR but, how well does it work?
Thinking about stopping in the capital to see the Agora mall, is it worth it or should I just keep driving?

Any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Do you fly all the way here to see a Mall? The drive, depending on traffic, is approx. 4 hours. Could be a bit more with SD traffic. Or less on Sunday Morning. GPS works.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It should take about 4 hours, depending on traffic in the capital. Its also very straight forward. The highway starts at the traffic circle nesr Puntacana Village, the signs are clearly posted. Once on the highway its a matter of driving until you reach the capital.

In the La Romana area the interchange from the La Romana Beltway (circunvalaci?n) to the autov?a del Este feels more like going on an exit to the right. I don't know why they designed that like that instead of connecting the beltway with the highway as if it was a single higway and simply adding the exit ramps for whomever wants to enter the city of La Romana in that area. When you go from Coral Highway to the La Romana Beltway you hardly notice this because physically its all one highway. When you see this area you will know what I'm talking about.

The rest of the highway is very straight forward. The San Pedro Beltway is fully connected to the highway so you might not even notice when you are on it.

Between PC and SD you will pass by four tolls, the first two are before La Romana, the third one is on the LR Beltway, and the fourth is on Las Americas Highway and this last one you don't pay when going west bound.

Agora is the nicest looking mall.

The Duarte Highway looks as in 2006, but the road itself is now in much better shape. There is a traffic light at Piedra Blanca which I think wasn't there in 2006, and it will be there until they build an overpass whenever that will be. You do have to pay at the toll near Km 25 but only north bound. The other toll that was built in La Penda, La Vega was dismantled, so no toll there.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
The Road is pretty good and the new road from Punta Cana to La Romana is very nice. Just may have some heavy traffic in SD.. but when you passed that it should be good again. If you like to take a rest/eat stop why not stop at Boca Chica? Neptuno's is very nice!

Dvargas

Mar 10, 2015
Nice! All very informative responses thanks guys.. One thing I'm wondering is Plaza Jacaranda still open on Duarte?, I may stop there last I remember they had great sandwiches.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Nice! All very informative responses thanks guys.. One thing I'm wondering is Plaza Jacaranda still open on Duarte?, I may stop there last I remember they had great sandwiches.

Yes still open.. You can also try tipico Bonao..

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Traffic in Santo Domingo has been petty heavy lately. So much heavier than what I can ever remember. It's like rush hour is ALL DAY!

Like others have said, I'd avoid the mall!

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Straight forward drive out of PC to SD. A must stop is Cuevas de las maravillas in La Romana, right along the Hwy, take the tour. Mid-day in SD traffic should not be that bad, stop at the malls, take your time, explore, since you haven't been here in a while, SD will look very different.

For lunch I would suggest the cafeteria in Ikea, right in front of Agora mall, happy trails.

My 2 cents.