Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a local family to take us in on Semana Santa

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't recommend hiding the cerveza, it would be too hot to drink once found. BIG no-no!

2. Likes Brookelemongotsoul liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    Wouldn't recommend hiding the cerveza, it would be too hot to drink once found. BIG no-no!
    Kate,
    i hide 'em year around in the cooler, so i have no troubles finding them when needed and they are always found cold.

Mike

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

1. get very drunk.
    2. get your kids drunk.
    3. drive a car or swim (whichever is applicable with more ease) until you become COE statistics and i write a thread about you.

North Coast Moderator

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brookelemongotsoul View Post
    Okay okay...this may not be PC---but wouldn't it be really cool to see how others spend Easter? We will be in
    Bavaro from April 3rd-13th and would love---that first weekend to experience some real traditional Semana Santa familia's celebrating.

Do they beat their wives? Maybe the wives beat the husbands? Do the kids really eat the sweet beans? Or do they feed them to the dog.....
    Im kidding of course....just wanted to experience a real Dominican holiday...Im sure it is beautiful and peaceful and has lots of food involved..

Any suggestions?

If a family will adopt us, we will help cook and clean (we have our own place...we don't need to stay with you) haha...Im being serious here people......serious......I can bring some American traditions to add to the day....
    (egg hiding with $$ in it for the kids and hide the cervezas for the adults.....that's what we do. Keepin it classy....
    actually, the dog feeds the sweet beans to the kids.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    1. get very drunk.
    2. get your kids drunk.
    3. drive a car or swim (whichever is applicable with more ease) until you become COE statistics and i write a thread about you.
    Detras del Rumor style!!

7. Likes Brookelemongotsoul liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Good luck. Middle and upper class Doms have no interest in sharing their space with gringo tourists. The rest of them live in hovels that your local planning dept. would condemn in an instant to erect a plastic play structure. Semi solid walls, with a few corrugated iron sheets that constitute a roof. Locals already have an extended family on site and any extra room is taken up by livestock they wish to protect at night.

The cultural experience you are seeking is not readily available here. Anyone offering such will be a part of the "tourist industry" and will expect to be paid for their time and effort. If you don't live here you and your family will probably get sick from the water used to wash the glasses or the plates.

As you have or will read on DR1, there is a distinct difference in general attitude here. Many do not share our values because they can only dream of being in a situation to do so. Many times, short term gains trump any thought of repercussions or the interests and the welfare of others. It is unwise to assume that someone you do not know will be inclined to be hospitable and of honorable intent. Getting into a situation where you give up all control is a recipe for disaster.

There are lots of good people here, you just can't find them on the internet because they don't have a website. You must always remember that the DR is an "upper" third world country. It's citizens are not like the people in the state/province next door. I don't think you would seek out a random family to share Easter with in Camden New Jersey, you should not have the inclination to attempt the same here.
    good advice, dude. i go to birthday parties and bring a gift, and maybe some goodies. i spend an hour, as a show of good protocol. then i bid adieu, with some story of a prior commitment. anybody trying to be a hero by spending a weekend with a family they donīt even know is more than an adventurer. more like a daredevil.

9. Likes robbiee, curlando, Brookelemongotsoul liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    1. get very drunk.
    2. get your kids drunk.
    To the OP, take this one to heart. It is quite dangerous at that time of year and many deaths on the road. This tends to be a time when the gringos should disappear and let the Dominicans have their holy time. Don't become another DV8 thread.
    The more you know ....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Cdn_Gringo nailed it in post #2.
    Great response.

12. Likes Brookelemongotsoul liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"haha...Im being serious here people......serious......I can bring some American traditions to add to the day....
    (egg hiding with $$ in it for the kids and hide the cervezas for the adults.....that's what we do. Keepin it classy...."

I think it would end up being more like eggs with money for the adults and cervezas for the kids.

14. Likes Brookelemongotsoul liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just come get drunk and bring a big pot of spaghetti to the beach for the family to eat.
    When I plan activities to do during my stay in DR; my plans never work out as planned. I never plan activities to far ahead. I visit friends in different cities and see what they have planned and usually it's drinking a few beers and eating a home cooked meal. If you are staying at a resort they will have activities and tours to keep you and the family busy.

16. Likes Brookelemongotsoul liked this post
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast