Habichuela con dulce: The Authentic Dominican Sweet

Do you like habichuela con dulce?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
As per the suggestion of DV8, here is the poll on habichuela con dulce (HCD)

habichuelacondulce2.jpg

recipe0597.jpg

showimage.php

What unique recipies do you use to make your version of HCD?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
An amateur how to make habichuela con dulce tutorial in English...

[video=youtube;nRbbQfyGyC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRbbQfyGyC0[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is, without any doubt, the food served in the darkest pitch of hell. it's disgusting, vile, nasty, hideous, revolting and loathsome. anyone who prepares it, serves it and eats it should be punished with at least a year in la victoria.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm going to follow this recipe before Easter and give you my honest opinion on the taste. I mean how can you go wrong with cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, raisins and milk. :)

Is it better hot or cold?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I'm going to follow this recipe before Easter and give you my honest opinion on the taste. I mean how can you go wrong with cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, raisins and milk. :)

Is it better hot or cold?

I love mine hot, but it really is a matter of preference. Try both and see which one you like most.:)

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
It's pretty nasty. I wanted to like it and tried many different ones - supposedly all the best. Kind of like Mamajuana - everyone has their own recipe, but most are quite nasty. It is edible, but really nothing I would ever desire. I have had some good Mamajuanas, but never had a good habichuela.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I make mine like I was taught by my grandmother with grated coconut (milk) and whole milk
versus carnation milk for whole milk. I also add freshly grated nutmeg and allspice (malagueta)
in addition to the cinnamon sticks and whole cloves.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I make mine like I was taught by my grandmother with grated coconut (milk) and whole milk
versus carnation milk for whole milk. I also add freshly grated nutmeg and allspice (malagueta)
in addition to the cinnamon sticks and whole cloves.

In the video above the sweet potatoes are white inside I thought they were the same colour as the outside. Maybe I'm thinking of yams.

This is what sweet potatoes look like here http://www.painlesscooking.com/images/yams-vs-sweet-potatoes3.jpg

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
In the video above the sweet potatoes are white inside I thought they were the same colour as the outside. Maybe I'm thinking of yams.

This is what sweet potatoes look like here http://www.painlesscooking.com/images/yams-vs-sweet-potatoes3.jpg

There are different varieties of sweet potatoes in the DR. Some are light purple in color (on the outside) and yes, white inside.

http://www.7dias.com.do/showimage.php?typeid=18&imageid=94376

http://www.diariodominicano.com/imagenes/4/batata.jpg

Yes, you are thinking of yams or sweet potato which is orange on the inside/outside.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I love habichuelas con dulce [and I dislike red beans]. One of Mr. AE's aunts made the absolute BEST, each year we'd visit her just to eat some. Her sister [my suegra] made it too, but the aunt must have had a secret ingredient :)

I've made it, wasn't so great. Our maid does a great job of it, just makes too much, no matter what I say we end up with about a 6 quart pot full.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Kind of OK from time to time, like 3 times during semena santa, y ja.....

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Warning, do not ever eat it after it has been sitting out in the hot sun for a few hours. My mother in law tried to warn me as I drank down my second small cup of the delicious beans.
Several hours later, I woke up in the middle of the night in panic. I was a guest in someone else's house, and for the first time in dozens of trips to the DR, the town was totally quiet, as well as the house. No dogs, motorcycles, chickens, music, NOTHING, totally quiet. To make matters worse, there was no water in the town. So there I was in the bathroom with a burned out light bulb, no water, a guest in someone else's house and the beans working their magic on my intestines. Long night. I felt like Jeff Daniels in the scene from Dumb and Dumber.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Unless you drink a 5 gallon bowl like cccccccc did once getting diarrhea from a normal portion means you needed a good cleaning out. Beans are a great source of fiber. ;)

Oh yes and don't leave it out in the sun it contains milk

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Any version I have had did not have the sweet potato in it. I did not see it prepared so maybe it had them in it and was put in a blender.
A little bit of this goes a long ways. A small cup full of it was good enough for me.
I don't like it enough to try making it.