SDQ plastic wrapping a suitcase

Jan 17, 2009
Has anyone used the plastic wrapping service at SDQ? How much does it cost? Also wondering is this wasted money if security needs to open it?

I've never wrapped a suitcase in my travels, but this time it's quite heavy and pretty full, and I'm thinking less chances of the zipper breaking if I have it wrapped.

May 29, 2006
I think the idea is it's inspected before it's wrapped so you have evidence of in transit tampering on the other side.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Um, don't know, I thought the luggage wrapping stands are usually located in front of the check-in area.

You are correct, you get your luggage wrapped before you obtain your boarding pass and from what I have seen there was no internal inspection before they wrapped it. I don't remember the cost but I thought it was somewhere close to $10USD a bag. Why not tie rope or get one of those luggage belts?

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks! I have no idea where to find a luggage belt in Cabarete, and don't have time to go to Puerto Plata before my trip. Thanks anyway, good idea for next trip.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
When flying out, I try to get it wrapped ( if I am not running like crazy cos I always get there at the last moment :) ), not cos the bags are full ( they arent, some rum, some vanilla, lots of coffee and a couple of brugal .......3 cases in 1, like russian dolls :) ).
I get it wrapped and take a photograph, while I am checking in......... probably wont serve any purpose, but at least if I get jumped on by drug police on arrival, I have a beginning of defense if the case has been tampered with....
Paranoid ????? Absolutly.....:p

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Sometimes I just forget to wrap or pretend that I forgot to wrap and do it anyway.

Wait...where am I

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Has anyone used the plastic wrapping service at SDQ? How much does it cost? Also wondering is this wasted money if security needs to open it?

I've never wrapped a suitcase in my travels, but this time it's quite heavy and pretty full, and I'm thinking less chances of the zipper breaking if I have it wrapped.

I've been told by a wrapper in a USA airport (I don't remember which one.) that they have another machine in the inspection room with which they give a free rewrap to any wrapped bags that get inspected.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I use it always b/c my suitcase doesn't have a hard cover. Right after you get inside the building, before the check for overweight and check-in. Costs 600 Pesos and the chicos do it properly. After wrapping I've never needed to open it again.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
We always wrap our own suitcases, but our "suitcases" tend to be backpacks or duffel bags.
Buy a 30m roll of Clingfilm, or Saran wrap (what ever plastic wrap) and start wrapping.
An unforeseen advantage was.... the suitcases arrive clean.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
When flying out, I try to get it wrapped ( if I am not running like crazy cos I always get there at the last moment :) ), not cos the bags are full ( they arent, some rum, some vanilla, lots of coffee and a couple of brugal .......3 cases in 1, like russian dolls :) ).
I get it wrapped and take a photograph, while I am checking in......... probably wont serve any purpose, but at least if I get jumped on by drug police on arrival, I have a beginning of defense if the case has been tampered with....
Paranoid ????? Absolutly.....:p

That you're paranoid doesn't mean no one is out to get you.

[video]https://youtu.be/3Fn36l_z3WY[/video]

I just bought two TSA locks on eBay for $3 US each. Just enough cheap security to encourage thieves to pick another bag and TSA can open it and close it without damaging it.

I try not to pack anything worth stealing. That's easy enough outbound to the US, inbound to the Dee Ah not so much.

mxGOo-EZay3qKu_aLtaKUMA.jpg

I've never had the need to wrap but that day may come.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Don't plastic wrap it. Buy some bungee cords if you are really that concern. Is your suitcase over the weight limit? Wrapping it in plastic just gives someone a reason to open it. Don't waste your money.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Why not tie rope or get one of those luggage belts?

Our daughter bought me a hot pink luggage belt with a TSA lock on it for Christmas. I used it because I figured it would also make the bag easier to spot on the carousel. Bag arrived at SDQ, no belt visible. I grumbled a bit. When we got to our house, the belt was inside, with a note saying the bag had been searched.

So much for their replacing the belt after searching......

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I put an expensive TSA compatible lock on my luggage and TSA stole it.
Now I use single use locks! An airline pilot suggested I use cable ties.
If the cable tie has been cut off I can deny responsibility for the contents.
I carry spares in case some wants to inspect my bag in my presence.

DS

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
TSA lock?

I used to use them all the time but stopped. There was a video posted awhile back where with soft sided luggage the use of a simple ball point pen your luggage can be opened. You split the zipper, open the luggage, then slide the zipper tab over the open zipper and bingo your luggage is just like it was..............

I get the TSA love letter darn near every flight down to the DR (EWR-SDQ). I have logged in quite a few flights in and out of la rep dom and haven't had a thing gone missing..............yet.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Leaving out of JFK to POP TSA cut my TSA lock to search through my luggage. I had a few watches in my checked luggage. They never replaced the lock.
At one time if TSA cut your lock they would replace the lock with a plastic lock. Now, at an international airport they should have a key. What ****ed me off was the cutting of my lock. Now I use the cheap dollar locks.