Debit card car rentals?

rab007

Feb 2, 2015
I'll be staying in Las Terrenas starting Saturday, March 21. My credit card was lost and I will not be able to replace it prior to traveling. Will I still be able to rent a car using a VISA debit card, assuming a hold will be placed on some of my funds?

I have done this before in the US, but wasn't sure of the standard policies in the DR. Unfortunately my work schedule this week prevents me from spending lots of time coordinating via the phone. Thank you all!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
debit cards are just that.... and probably yes but use cash instead....leave passport no deposit...

rab007

Feb 2, 2015
I would have major concerns leaving my passport anywhere... but thanks for the insight.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
never, never ever leave your passport. only a copy if needed.
Photo copies of your passport and drivers license. Phone your bank and let them know you are traveling to DR and you will be using your card to rent a car. Have important number written down to carry with you at all times like bank phone numbers and in case of emergency numbers. US residents can register with STEP: https://step.state.gov/step/. Enjoy.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Options

I'll be staying in Las Terrenas starting Saturday, March 21.

Depending on your plans, you may want to do without a car.
Motoconchos take you anywhere in LT and vicinity.
For excursions you could hire a taxi or a car with a driver or simply use 'guaguas'.
This would most likely be less expensive, less risky (I consider using plastic money in this country risky).

donP
in LT

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
US Debit cards are not always accepted in the DR for transactions but go to the local ATM and get cash.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
debit cards are just that.... and probably yes but use cash instead....leave passport no deposit...

Tourists must be able to produce their passport upon demand at all times. You'll need the original every time you walk into a bank to change or get money, you'll need it to check into a hotel, you'll need it if driving around and get stopped by the police. As others have said, never ever give your passport to anyone. Show it, let them make a photocopy (better yet have photocopies of your own to hand out as required) but always have it back in your hand before turning to walk away.

An unscrupulous individual with your passport can hold you hostage financially, potentially cause you to miss your flight home, or just plain claim to have lost it and then you are screwed.

snoode

Jul 25, 2014
you can use your debit card, I have done it several times. be sure of how much the deposit is, and keep on top of them crediting the card back, once or twice it was slow and had to call. I found personally, the major car companies hold around 300$, some independents will hold as much as 800$ but their rental rate is cheaper. Just be vigilant keeping an eye on your account.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Regardless if you use Debit /Credit, make sure your bank is aware of your trip, DR is on a high "Potential CC Fraud list" for some reason!

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
I've had car rental companies in the DR put a hold on my CC for as high as 2Gs just because I waive the insurance; and buying their insurance means didly squat. Don't forget, if you use your debit card you have absolutely no protections from liability, fraud and erroneous charges. In addition most of your cash will be on hold.

Points to ponder.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
If you are renting at the Airport, prpare to pay DOUBLE since you will be forced to buy their bs insurance... which imo is worthless. because when you return the car, they will still go over it with a fine tooth comb. and if there is even a scratch on it, you will be asked ot pay for it from your "deposit".. ony a Credit Card which has the real INSURANCE will avoid this.
I have even heard of cases where someone got into an accident, and was asked to pay over $4K for damage to the vehicle, eventhough he purchased their "insurance"... imo , they pocket the $ and never really insure the car.
I never rent at the airport any more for these reasons. Rent from a Local guy, and all he will ask for is a copy of your passport and that you pay cash.. inside the Airport prices are hugely inflated, imo.. ( for those paying with Debit card)

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
If you are renting at the Airport, prpare to pay DOUBLE since you will be forced to buy their bs insurance... which imo is worthless. because when you return the car, they will still go over it with a fine tooth comb. and if there is even a scratch on it, you will be asked ot pay for it from your "deposit".. ony a Credit Card which has the real INSURANCE will avoid this.
I have even heard of cases where someone got into an accident, and was asked to pay over $4K for damage to the vehicle, eventhough he purchased their "insurance"... imo , they pocket the $ and never really insure the car.
"I never rent at the airport any more for these reasons. Rent from a Local guy, and all he will ask for is a copy of your passport and that you pay cash.. inside the Airport prices are hugely inflated, imo.. ( for those paying with Debit card)

I agree with everything in this post with exception of the airport prices. I've rented cars as cheap as $14 a day from
Las Americas. The reasons "I" never rent from the local guys are, first, you have no recourse. Second, they have no other offices throughout the island in case the car breaks down etc... If you've never had to wait 12 hrs in the rain at night in the middle of nowhere with a disabled rental, you won't understand. In many of the cases where they've taken me for a ride, I was able to deal with the international Franchiser once in the states and get things resolved.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
"I never rent at the airport any more for these reasons. Rent from a Local guy, and all he will ask for is a copy of your passport and that you pay cash.. inside the Airport prices are hugely inflated, imo.. ( for those paying with Debit card)

I agree with everything in this post with exception of the airport prices. I've rented cars as cheap as $14 a day from
Las Americas. The reasons "I" never rent from the local guys are, first, you have no recourse. Second, they have no other offices throughout the island in case the car breaks down etc...If you've never had to wait 12 hrs in
the rain at night in the middle of nowhere with a disabled rental, you won't understand. In many of the cases where they've taken me for a ride, I was able to deal with the international Franchiser once in the states and get things resolved.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Tourists must be able to produce their passport upon demand at all times. You'll need the original every time you walk into a bank to change or get money, you'll need it to check into a hotel, you'll need it if driving around and get stopped by the police. As others have said, never ever give your passport to anyone. Show it, let them make a photocopy (better yet have photocopies of your own to hand out as required) but always have it back in your hand before turning to walk away.

An unscrupulous individual with your passport can hold you hostage financially, potentially cause you to miss your flight home, or just plain claim to have lost it and then you are screwed.

This is 101 stuff....lock up your passport when out and about and carry a copy. you need the original as an exception not the rule...even the cops want your pesos not your passport after all.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
you can use your debit card, I have done it several times. be sure of how much the deposit is, and keep on top of them crediting the card back, once or twice it was slow and had to call. I found personally, the major car companies hold around 300$, some independents will hold as much as 800$ but their rental rate is cheaper. Just be vigilant keeping an eye on your account.

You might want to call the local desk prior to your arrival, and check on the hold fees. I know folks who have been quoted holds of as much as $1,500 for the "name brand" carriers.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
What a wonderful way to treat our tourists. Its with good reason that people stay within the confines of foreign owned All Inclusives.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The concept of the "long game" escapes many locals. They seem to prefer to snag $1000 from one person despite the obvious risk of being found out than content to get $10 from 100 people and potentially be able to carry on indefinitely.