Alarming news about dogs in region

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
While visiting, my wife spends nights driving around Juan Dolio, Guayacanes and other beach areas looking for stray dogs.
When we identify one, she stops and feeds the animal while providing them a bowl of water. This has developed into her cause as suitcases filled with large bags of dog food travel with us from the USA to the DR.

This last trip- we returned to the USA yesterday- was very different. We were surprised by the decline in the # of dogs in the area, finding as well that the dogs she approached appeared fearful and hesitant despite in obvious need of food and water. We voiced this with others, and what we learned has devastated her.

We were told of dogs appearing in the morning, apparently having died form poisoning of some type. In one instance, five dogs were found dead, lying together. Others, in alleys and abandoned buildings. We heard this from a couple of guards that serve as security - they are tasked with removing the bodies and disposing of them. One guard in particular now keeps water and food with him to feed those that remain, so that they aren't lured away.

I was wondering how to report this- who would take charge in following up on an inquiry?
I understand that tourism looks unfavorably on packs of stray dogs walking about, yet I think there are other more humane solutions that don't result in having to get to this extreme.

Any help or information would be appreciated, and we encourage others to take interest in helping protect these defenseless animals from being wiped out altogether. I have heard, over and over again, about some "eating" the dogs; others confusing them for slaughtered Chivo's etc..., but what we are talking about here is systematic poisoning of the animals.

Thanks.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Towns and cities are known to engage in this behavior as the goto means of population control when the perception arises that there are too many strays wandering around. It wasn't long ago that this option was being discussed for Sosua.

Apart from the various animal rescue groups that may be operating in any given area, I don't think there is a central agency or Govt. dept. that one can approach to voice a concern. The fact is that animals here are not viewed in the same high regard as at home, they have no "rights" and dogs/cats are routinely dispatched as a matter of course.

Sad and frustrating yes, but as fast as you round up the strays a new bunch appears to fill the vacant niche. Your best bet I suspect is to approach a rescue group in or around Juan Dolio. I do not know any in that area sorry as I have never been there. I'm sure someone else on DR1 will offer you a lead.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This has been going on around DR for many, many years. Mr. AE lost a dog about 45 years ago that way, back then they didn't only spray the strays, they also sprayed dogs that barked at them from behind fences. They'd spray, then the dogs would lick the spray, and die.

It's a heartless, cruel way to die, too bad they don't have dog catchers who take them to be sterilized. Even in the US, most of the shelters eventually euthanize the dogs, very few no-kill shelters these days.

I agree with tommeyers, but it's not easy. I know there are spay/neuter clinics around from time to time, but not everywhere. It's expensive, a poor Dominican could never afford it. I forget what we paid to have our male rottie neutered last year, but we just had our female rottie spayed on Wednesday. The vet charges 10,000 pesos, gave us a discount because he's cared for her since she was a pup [5 yrs old now] and is friends with Mr. AE's brother.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The most common reason is that baits are often used to control the rat population but dogs eat the baits also ..people may think that homes on golf courses are ideal for dogs but in fact this is exactly where baits are put out for the rats that live in the trees, and the dogs slowly die .

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The most common reason is that baits are often used to control the rat population but dogs eat the baits also ..people may think that homes on golf courses are ideal for dogs but in fact this is exactly where baits are put out for the rats that live in the trees, and the dogs slowly die .

Could be true, but in the barrios where thousands of dogs die there are no golf courses. The Health Department systematically kills strays to control the population.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
what if these stray dogs that you seem to love so much attack someone , ie: kid ? or kid riding bicycle ?

its like with the guy who lives in small village with few dangerous dogs. they always run around the village, bark and so on. finally someone got nervous and shoots the dog/s...
later the guy is surprised about human's cruelty while first thing is that he shouldnt let his dogs run around without control....

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
The nuisance barkers and killers of children tend to be those caged in an area by their owners.

The strays seem to be quiet and more or less go along get along types.

Animals populate and exist in areas where there is enough food and resources for them to survive.

Step #1 Put some fkn dumpsters with lids in the barrios so raw trash isn't spread everywhere, maybe a closed sewer system. Then get back to me in a year. You live like an animal and you attract animals.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i lov dogs but cant tolerate the barkers....but it is hard to sneak up on them and put a stick near them as a shock... my dog barked at intruders. people /friends visiting etc...not at another dog in the hood...
as to animal control in d.r. all u gotta do is write a check... 100K$us a yr goes a long way...and ur wife will have a job when she comes here...they have agencies but need your money....and ur volunteering spirits...

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
try to drive on motorbike then to some corner/ back of building where the pack of stray dogs lives and see what will happen....
The nuisance barkers and killers of children tend to be those caged in an area by their owners.

The strays seem to be quiet and more or less go along get along types.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
try to drive on motorbike then to some corner/ back of building where the pack of stray dogs lives and see what will happen....

I don't hang out with conchistas that drive behind abandoned buildings.

Are there a lot of them?

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Maybe as well as comforting those stray dogs you could reduce further suffering by taking as many as possible to be sterilized.

I appreciate our advice and encourage you to go forward with it. Once you find a system to get this accomplished effectively, please let us know how we can help you.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
We feed them and give them water.
We are not vaccinating them. What little we are doing seems to run contrary to your ability to criticize it- so please, go forward with any bigger plans that adds value to the little we can achieve.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002

Seems you have a thing about these stray dogs - a bitter, edgy kind of attitude permeates your messaging.
I would venture to think that someone with a similar reaction might know more about this matter. Perhaps if you ask around you can find the responsible for violating the law this way, and and end to the killings can take place. It might make you feel better about life.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...ever consider helping the myriad of dogs at home that need a forever home and a helping hand? Providing a meal to a stray once or twice a year in the DR does absolutely nothing to improve the life of these animals where as getting a dog out of a shelter that will be killed in a few weeks might be a more substantial way of applying your love of dogs and your limited resources & efforts.

It's kind of like bringing down school supplies for children here. In the short term, it helps, I guess, but when that pencil is used up or the notebook full, that child still does not have another...

Status
Not open for further replies.