Long Blackout in our area of San Cristobal Province

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For the first time in a LONG time, we've gone dark. Electric went off yesterday at about 5 pm, and is still not back on. EdeSur gave us a song and dance that they're making repairs, that it would be on by 1 pm today - now 8.30 and nada.

Big inverter powering the fridge and freezer died this morning sometime. The smaller one that powers the outlets, lights and ceiling fans is still hanging on, but who knows for how long. More worried about the food in the freezer and fridge :(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
fridge and freezer should hold cold for a while longer, if you did not open them. do you have any small portable neveras? if yes, you can fill then up half way with ice and put most sensitive products inside (fish, raw meat).

the bigger inversor with fridge/freezer, is it the one with new batteries? i am surprised it did not last longer. ours will still last about 24 hr and the whole house is wired to it.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Move to the Bavaro area. Since November our longest power outage was 2 hours. CEPM seems to have it together much better than Eden Norte. I think its because we have fewer people stealing power.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
An emergency generator is also a good option. I know somewhat expensive but will surely give you peace of mind. I am on a 24/7 in Gazcue which means nothing cause it seems the full planta for my apartment building runs several times a day every day.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Move to the Bavaro area. Since November our longest power outage was 2 hours. CEPM seems to have it together much better than Eden Norte. I think its because we have fewer people stealing power.

she's not on ladronorte circuit. san cristobal is ladrosur.

Jan 3, 2003
What surprises me is that the electrical system hasn't totally collapsed. That they have held on for this long is a testament
to Dominican ingenuity and flim-flammery. The con games, the shell games, the 3 card monte games that have been
playing for this long has kept the lights on in the DR.

Billions are owed and there is no feasible logical way out of this if not through a collapse. The entire system fails.
The DR returns to the middle ages. Assets get revaluated and in a slow process of readjustment electricity comes
back in functional feasible form.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
For the first time in a LONG time, we've gone dark. Electric went off yesterday at about 5 pm, and is still not back on. EdeSur gave us a song and dance that they're making repairs, that it would be on by 1 pm today - now 8.30 and nada.

Big inverter powering the fridge and freezer died this morning sometime. The smaller one that powers the outlets, lights and ceiling fans is still hanging on, but who knows for how long. More worried about the food in the freezer and fridge :(

When did the luz return?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
fridge and freezer should hold cold for a while longer, if you did not open them. do you have any small portable neveras? if yes, you can fill then up half way with ice and put most sensitive products inside (fish, raw meat).

the bigger inversor with fridge/freezer, is it the one with new batteries? i am surprised it did not last longer. ours will still last about 24 hr and the whole house is wired to it.

Both our inverters have brand new batteries - the bigger one pooped out early Monday, it's running a big GE refrigerator/freezer, and a separate chest freezer that we just bought a few weeks ago.

An emergency generator is also a good option. I know somewhat expensive but will surely give you peace of mind. I am on a 24/7 in Gazcue which means nothing cause it seems the full planta for my apartment building runs several times a day every day.

Our little Honda generator was out for repair - and the big Generac generator that we bought last year STILL isn't totally installed. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Didn't you just sell your whole solar system?

Nope, still here for sale, our rock-tossing neighbors made us afraid to install on the roof.

When did the luz return?

This afternoon - no power for 48 hours. The little inverter held for 36 of them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
AE, there is a guy here who has solar panels on the roof. lives next door to a golf course. he installed nets protecting the panels. so far so good, no damage. have you considered something like that?