Cabarete traffic at a standstill today....

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
In the centre of Cabarete, I presume it was Edenorte installing a new huge pole which I watched with interest whilst say in the traffic queue which could not move either way. On this occasion there were Policia Nacional trying help so as not to create total gridlock.

I watched the huge machine on the enormous truck straddled across more than half of the road put there screw type thing into the ground to remove the tarmac and the dirt underneath in order to make the hole where they planned to place the new wood pole. I also saw that they obviously got the trajectory wrong the first time so had to retract this big type screw thing, get all the dirt away from it via man with shovel and start over again a few inches away.

If it had not been so entertaining and I had been in a rush, it probably would have been less amusing..... anyone else get caught up in this?

(Makes me wonder also why they do this right at the busiest time in the middle of the day!)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think they were doing more than one... new cement poles.... and it continued east of Cabarete

I passed by at 1:15pm or so and got through.......

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
In the centre of Cabarete, I presume it was Edenorte installing a new huge pole which I watched with interest whilst say in the traffic queue which could not move either way. On this occasion there were Policia Nacional trying help so as not to create total gridlock.

I watched the huge machine on the enormous truck straddled across more than half of the road put there screw type thing into the ground to remove the tarmac and the dirt underneath in order to make the hole where they planned to place the new wood pole. I also saw that they obviously got the trajectory wrong the first time so had to retract this big type screw thing, get all the dirt away from it via man with shovel and start over again a few inches away.

If it had not been so entertaining and I had been in a rush, it probably would have been less amusing..... anyone else get caught up in this?

(Makes me wonder also why they do this right at the busiest time in the middle of the day!)

One can be thankful if the pole does not end up un the middle of the street, as they usually are on sidewalks.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The power company here is doing line work in Otra Banda. Far side of Higuey. Takes forever to get through. If your not in a hurry it is entertaining to say the least

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
it may have been coming out.....

all the new ones are concrete.

out with old - - in with the new !!!

No this was a wooden one, all the main line poles on the NC are wood, that concrete ones are the service ones....
I guess its because of the height that they need to use wood cause I have never seen a concrete pole this big.....

My thoughts not yours.....

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
The worst part is that today they will decide that it needs to be 5 feet to the right and will do it all over again. But today they will drill in to a water line and an underground power line. :)

Bob K