Caribbean with Simon Reeve was on BBC the other night, from DR.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
BBC iPlayer - Caribbean with Simon Reeve - Episode 1

Nothing interesting, just a BS look into the two different sides of the country, and Island and the 'work' of the Anti Narcs. Some BS, some mildly interesting to newbies but I suppose most of you will know what to expect. It's an hour long.

Last edited by a moderator:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
This guy is a total prat and embarrassment and should never have left the shores of dear ol' Blighty.
I really have tried to watch his BS but failed miserably having lived in some of the places he "visits".

Bring back Alan Whicker or Mike Palin for heaven's sake!!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
This guy is a total prat and embarrassment and should never have left the shores of dear ol' Blighty.
I really have tried to watch his BS but failed miserably having lived in some of the places he "visits".

I've yet to see an accurate outsiders insight into the DR. It's all gunnabe BS.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Cringed at his attempt to pronounce "Dajab?n" and the huge error about the origin of the name of the R?o Masacre. Shoddy research.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is just the baseball anouncers who call it "The Dominican". Thanks for posting the YouTube link, the original link only works for those in the UK or with a proxy that might fake it out.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Well Bassically he talked mostly about durg traffic in the Dominican Republic and a quick presentation of all that has Santo Domingo in the colonial zone, I could say very quick picture of the Dominican Republic, basically talked and showed more about Haiti and at least he said some true about the amount of Haitians that has moved to this side of the Island.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Yes. The Bourdain doc on the DR was very good. I recommend it to anyone.

Off-Topic a bit, but he also had an episode on food spots in the Bronx. I enjoyed the way he presented the borough.

In general he doesn't appear to have pre-conceived notions or any type of agenda other than covering the food of the places he visits, and he does a great job intermingling with the natives wherever he goes.