Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting DR1'ers

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Meeting DR1'ers

I was wondering this morning out of curiosity, how many DR1'ers have actually met each other? Do people from here ever make a point of wanting to meet some of the other folks, or do most prefer to be keyboard assassins?

For myself I have met Cdn_Gringo and Frank12 and hopefully Harleysrock this week as I attend one of Harley's wife's music gigs in Sosua. Might see you at Sinatra's (if you are going) Thursday Harley if you read this

2. Likes Harleysrock, travelbear liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Moved to Living forum, from Polls, much better fit.....

"If anyone Wud! Wud Wud"
    Super Moderator
    www.DR1.com

99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back G. See you when I get home.

I go out of my way to meet people who post here-well those that will self identify and are willing to meet up. I can generally set aside any forum differences. Most people are pretty decent in person. There are others I am sure who would be absolutely mortified to be outed in public and thus are probably the wall flowers at the back of the room whispering, "pssst, you on DR1? What's your pseudo?"

My wife and I were at the Finish Line two Saturdays ago and someone asked her if she was on DR1. She's not but told them that I was. I was never approached by that person so it must have been someone I have annoyed in the past. Of course they didn't volunteer their pseudo.

It's a small world and for expats even more so. It's much too small to pi$$ away friendship opportunities over differences of opinion. So yeah, I go out of my way to meet & greet anyone who can make the effort to extend their hand.

5. Likes Harleysrock, sosuamatt, travelbear liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have had a few get together in NY in the past. We even had an annual picnic.

Moderator DR1.com

7. Likes AnnaC, Harleysrock liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I never have mainly, because I live in Maimon (Bonao) near the Cerro de Maimon and Pueblo Viejo mines. But if anyone is around this area, be sure to come the the Cascada Hotel and Bar or the beach at Lago Hatillo and let's meet up for a drink.

Post Thanks / Like

Between Canada and DR get togethers I have met at least 200+ members past and present. Last year I had the pleasure of meeting Chiri after all these years on DR1 and it felt like I had known always known her in real life. This year I had the pleasure of meeting AE and hubby. Same thing, just like family.
    Moderator Visa forums
    www.DR1.com

10. Likes AlterEgo, Chirimoya, Lucifer liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of DR1ers have met in person through DR1. Every so often there are get-togethers, but I met the largest number at Drro's birthday party in Sosua a few years ago. The north coast people seem to know each other a lot more than in other parts, where I live I am the only foreigner for many miles, excluding one French Canadian who's been here so long he's more Dominican than anything.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaC View Post
    Between Canada and DR get togethers I have met at least 200+ members past and present. Last year I had the pleasure of meeting Chiri after all these years on DR1 and it felt like I had known always known her in real life. This year I had the pleasure of meeting AE and hubby. Same thing, just like family.
    200?????? Geesh, I've met only a few. You, Matilda, Whirleybird, JDJones, Bronzeallspice, Mountainannie, Cobraboy, BigBird, Chirimoya, RG84, jrhartley, drro, Tracy. I probably forgot someone. A bunch at Ro's party, but just to say hello. Friends with a lot more on Facebook.

You're right though, it's easy for strong friendships to develop here.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not as many as 200, but it would still be a long list of DR1ers past and present.

When I lived in the capital I attended several meet-ups and juanita used to host barbecues. We haven't organised anything in the Bávaro/PC area but there are a couple of people here who I met via DR1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    200?????? Geesh, I've met only a few. You, Matilda, Whirleybird, JDJones, Bronzeallspice, Mountainannie, Cobraboy, BigBird, Chirimoya, RG84, jrhartley, drro, Tracy. I probably forgot someone. A bunch at Ro's party, but just to say hello. Friends with a lot more on Facebook.

You're right though, it's easy for strong friendships to develop here.
    Don't forget I've been on DR1 since Columbus landing there

I've also gone to a couple of "Beyond the Beach" gatherings and in Toronto as well
    Moderator Visa forums
    www.DR1.com

15. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast